*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/599779-Tears-of-Rain
Rated: 13+ · Article · Comedy · #599779
Based on a true story
I was alone one night in mid-October. The house was quite with out my grandchildren running around. But the grandfather clock was there, and that was the only noise in the house. My husband had past for quite sometime, and my grandchildren lived three states away. I sat in my easy chair, with Jay, the cat in my lap, stroking his black head. My husband had fallen in love with him ever since Jay had come to beg for food at the back door. I naturally wasn't much of a cat person, but holding Jay in my arms reminded me of how William had once held me. His fingers would slip into my thick strawberry blonde hair, as he held me. But now my hair was turning, as my strength and as my skin. I needed a cane just to get the bathroom.
However I will never forget no matter how old I become of the year I met William Foster. He was a handsome lad, that he was. He had black hair and chocolate brown eyes that made me want to melt every time I looked into them. Not to mention the adorable Spainsh accent he spoke with. His tan skin fit right for his height of 6'0.
But now he was gone. I suppose he went to heaven, if there be such a place. And now I'm alone, with only thoughts and memories of him...to keep me alive.
I've told people my story, but most don't wish to stay for it all. That's only because if I left something out, they wouldn't understand, and if I only told half it wouldn't make sence. So I perfer to tell it all. Though it be long, and maybe rather sad I assure you will love it. Just trust me.

"I hate my hair!" Katie exclaimed looking at herself in the mirror.
"I hate your hair too." I agreed rather teasingly.
"Hey!" She slugged me.

Katie Lewis was her name, and one my best friends at that. She was the last member the join my click of friends in the sixth grade. I loved her to death right from the start, but she passed in a car wreck not too long ago.

"Do I look fat in this?" Cahterine asked me.
"Catherine, darling." As I always called her.
"You look fine."

Catherine and I actually met in the first grade. She wore a white fur coat giving me the impression that she was a priss. Which in some cases she was. I on the other hand was a tomboy. It ran in the family to be climbing trees with boys, instead of tea with the ladies. Catherine and I never actually became friends until the fifth grade. We were at a summer camp and were both friendless. She relunctanly took the bunk next to me, and by the end of the week we were linked for life.

"Hand me that brush please." That was Danielle Disney. Her and Catherine became friends right after camp had ended, then Katie joined right after.

"What am I going to wear?" Catherine opened her closet door examining a blue sweater.
"How about wearing those black pants." Katie offered.
"No, I was thinking the khaki's."
"No, I wanted the khaki's." Danielle put in.

I couldn't help but giggle at the scene of this. Thoughout it all I was laying across Catherine's bed wearing jammy pants and a T-shirt. The three of them sorted it out, surprisingly without pulling hair. Catherine had won the khaki's, Katie the black slacks and Dani, as everyone called her, was content with blue jean capri's.

"Hello, earth to Nicole." Katie answered to me.
"Nic, you have less then an hour to get ready!" Catherine exclaimed thinking that I was actually worried.
"Alright, alright." I heaved myself out of bed.

The three of them went back to makeup and hair while I chose my outfit. Any ol' thing would've suited me, but I really didn't want to be scolded by Larry, Curly, and Moe.

"This party is going to be the bomb!" Katie exclaimed.
"Yeah, I can't wait to see all those guys."
I glared my eyes when I heard that comment from Catherine, knowing that it was entirely true.

Catherine dreamed about falling in love probably everytime she had the chance. Having her HEAD IN THE CLOUDS would've been an understatement. Though she didn't consider herself to be gorgeous, I did. She had gray-blue eyes that sparkled in the moonlight, and long black hair that was always styled perfectly. She was 5'9 tall too, and that's minus the high heals. Most of the time she liked being taller, but when it came to guys it was considered a down fall.
"I just have to fine one tall enough." She added examining her fully ready self in the mirror.

"Really now Catherine." That was Danielle. She was a bit more practical when it came to romance or love. But everyone understood as to why she was practical. She was 5'10 without high heals, and understood that finding a guy tall enough was harder then normal. So instead of going after a guy of her town she would much rather drool over pictures of Elijah Wood.

"Yeah, Nicole and I have it pretty easy." Dani, and Catherine turned to 5'6 Katie and glared.
"Don't you agree, Nic." I really wasn't even listening to any of this conversation. I stood, still dressed in jammy pants and a T-shirt, holding a pair of clean undies.

"What?" I asked.
"Never mind." Katie glared her eyes, and Catherine followed.
"Is it just me Nic, or are you acting rather odd?" Danielle always had to put in her "Pick of the Day Knowledge," which I only considered to be stupidity.
"I think it's just you." I added, now stripping out of my T-shirt to change.
"No, I won't be so fast to draw that point across." Great, once the floor of conversation was open on "Nicole's weirdo ways," every one had to put in the knowledge. Well, at least those three thought the were quite the Einstein's, but I knew the truth.

"Nic, do you even want to go to this party."
"Kinda." I knew Catherine wouldn't take a one-worded answer from me, but it never hurt to try.
"Kinda? I think not, tell me Nic, what's bothering you?" Now was when Catherine got that look on her face that could only fool a blind man. It was the look that said, "Tell me, Nic. Catherine's here." But really she probably just wanted to take me by the shirt collar and yell, "Tell me, you little short thing!"

"Nic, tell me." I continued to dress while she said this, and at this point I was desprate for her to put a sock in it. I met her eyes for the first time since she had talked to me. And there on her face was a buger under her left nostril.
I grinned like a sucker. Only becuase I thought she might've been saving it for later.

"What are you grinning at." Dani put in from across the room. Katie, who was fiercely brushing her hair in front of the mirror, glanced over at me. By this time I was cracking up on the floor. Danielle had looked at me so cluelessly that it gave me all the more reason to laugh. Katie's hair was going every which way that it made it look like she had stuck her finger in an electrical outlet.

"Nic, what's the matter with you?" Catherine, I knew won't find any humor in her left over buger so I just answered.

"Nothing, I just thought of something. I'm to get a soda." So, I left them as they were. Katie's hair looking like she had stuck it in the blender. Catherine's boogie still hanging, and Danielle looking more clueless the ever.



When I returned with my Pepsi, the hair had been controled, some what, and then buger had been wiped. This helped me a bit more not to burst into laughter like a had earlier. Well, that is for this part. Believe me, these three did a bit more to make you laugh only once in a day.

I examined myself in the mirror right before we were to head to the party. It wasn't exactly for my benefit. I would've been fine wearing my jammies, but there wasn't any way I was going to get another ear full of stupid, [quite literally] knowledge from the fasion cridicts.

I choose a tight blue and white top, having every other one the oposit stripe. It had a collar with a line cut low enough to see...well you get the picuture. I reminded myself to grab a safty pin on my way out the door. My white khaki's had a studded belt looped through holding them to hug my hips and leave a line of tummy in between my shirt.

"Ready, Nic." My attention was bought to my friends who were surprisingly ready to go. The three of them stood, arms crossed over there chest's all of them doing that lady like thing of bubble gum.
"Yeah I think I am." Something about my group of friends was we all owned a leather jacket. No really after Jr. High the nickname stood as the leather babes. But you know I was the first to get a jackets.














© Copyright 2003 J. Karson (jaybloomy at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/599779-Tears-of-Rain