*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/600315-PARADISE---chapt-2
Rated: ASR · Short Story · Action/Adventure · #600315
The story at Paradise continues.
CHAPTER TWO


         Beth started to wipe her hands again on her pants and stopped, shoving them into her back pockets instead. Gotta look relaxed and unconcerned, she thought. Won't do to look nervous. Might trigger something.

         "Would you like some coffee?" she put on her best smile.

         "Sure." He smiled back.

         Once in the house, Beth busied herself in the kitchen preparing coffee. She could only offer instant as the power company hadn't seen fit enough to extend the power lines out so far from town yet. Not to take into account that she really didn't have an electric coffee maker anyway. For once, Beth regretted setting up the get-away cottage so far from town. 'It will be a bit of Paradise,' she remembered telling Billy. At that time she had wanted to be disconnected.

         "May I use your bathroom?" Tony's voice drifted around the corner.

         "Just have an outhouse out back nestled in spruce. Hope you don't mind."

         The front door closed softly and Beth took a deep breath. 'Now don't panic,' she whispered to herself. 'Just relax.'

         She turned on the battery operated radio above the counter hoping to catch some quiet music.

         "The escaped murderer is still at large," droned the newsman. "He seems to be headed north of Portford so the police is warning all residents..."

         Beth quickly turned the radio off. Her earlier attempt to quell all fears was washed aside with a wave of terror. Turning she ran to lock the door. Too late - Tony was already coming back in. Mustn't act scared, she thought , or he will get ideas.

         "Seems to be a bear out there," he said. "I'll wait till he shuffles off."

         Stupid bear, Beth thought. He is more trouble than enough. Hands beginning to shake, she set the coffee quickly on the table.

         "I'll send him away," she said, grabbing a frying pan and metal spatula. She just had to get out of the house and here was a good excuse.

         Once out side, she heaved a deep breath and walked toward the outhouse banging on the frypan. Sure enough, the bear reared up on his hind legs and turned to lumber off into the woods. Well, at least the guy was telling the truth, she thought. But I wish I could send him off packing as easy as this.

Chapter 3 - "PARADISE Chapt 3
© Copyright 2003 Write-fully Loti (loti at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/600315-PARADISE---chapt-2