*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/606913-Music-Is-My-Life
Rated: E · Essay · Music · #606913
An essay on music and how it fits everyones life
Music
My life has always been full of background music. Each event has its own song; each moment its own set of notes.
The polka fills my ears when I am at family reunions. Its silly tune dances around my uncle Peter when he starts to tell his lame “chicken” jokes, and the hilarity of the song always gives the room a certain “hominess.” When all sixteen of my immediate family (plus about thirteen others whom I have never met before, and are called “distant relations”, when everyone knows they are most likely not related to anyone at all) are packed into the kitchen, the volume of the melody gets to its loudest height. The laughing and the joking, the smiling and the hugging are enough to almost exhaust you, but because of the crowd and the warmth you have no chance to escape.
The waltz occupies my dreams of chandelier-lit ballrooms and white satin dresses hitting the wooden floor gently; sparkling tiaras on the tops of princesses and queens who have come to gape at my wonderful and beautiful palace. Gentlemen dressed in the finest suits, boutonnières on their collars, and their cufflinks politely buttoned down. With each step on the dance floor, the music seems to get softer, as if it was humbly backing away from a grand award that it did not deserve. By the end of the dream, only the soft touching of violin bow to strings can be heard, and the night is gracefully over.
My school life is a rock concert. The unsteady beat of drums and the twanging of loud guitar strings is enough to give anyone a headache; but since there’s no one to stop it, it goes on all through the day. Reality always gives you a headache. Every extra-curricular activity and every paper assigned is another bang on the head, another roll to the drum. The term crowd surfing didn’t come only from rock concerts, or any concerts for that matter, it came from high school. Everyone goes with the crowd and if you don’t you get dropped: hard.
At the beach, the sound of the waves are music on their own. The cry of the gulls interrupt their gentle washing on the shore, but they eventually start again and you drift back into that fairy-tale land of sand, salt, and water. As I lie on my blanket, with the sun beating down on my back, I can smell the cloth and colors underneath me and listen to the song of the ocean.
Have you ever felt your favorite song could fit your favorite moment? Each roll of the note or the sound of the singer’s voice could make you sleep or make you want to party. Driving down a highway to a place you frequently visit you turn on your radio and hear a song you hear every time you drive down that same road. Music does not just define the way notes fit on a piece of paper or how many signatures there are in a piece: music is a key to the things that are important in life, moments you will always want to remember. Music is a window into your soul; a huge asset which defines who you are.

© Copyright 2003 GoldenHopeisWorkinHard! (taryn at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/606913-Music-Is-My-Life