*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/612996-Fabulous-Angel
Rated: E · Short Story · Spiritual · #612996
An impoverished mother pleads for her babies to a God she barely knows.
This is a true story. Only the names and a few very minor details have been changed.

Fabulous Angel


“Oh God in Heaven!” Sheryl began to pour out her heart to a God she barely knows. “If you have any compassion in your heart, I'm begging you to please intervene on my poor little babies’ behalf.” Trembling with the overwhelming emotions that were invading her spirit and a heavy flood of tears, she continued her pleadings.

“Now, if it's only me that's in such great need, I wouldn’t trouble you with this request. However, I can't bear to hear my little ones’ cries of hunger. Please, if you really do exist, have mercy upon them and come to their aid.”

Earlier, Sheryl’s five children had just left for their classes in a near-by school when she determined that she would spend the afternoon on her knees praying for them. With her husband seriously ill and bedridden in a local hospital for several weeks now, she had watched their resources dwindle to nothing and the bills pile up three months in arrears. Moreover, the rent on their modest bungalow was two months past due. Winter was upon them, and Christmas was just around the corner. How in the world would she provide for their needs?

It was not that long ago that she had made the decision to embrace a new God in her life. This God, she was told, was kind and loving. It was hard for her to accept such a being existed, for she had only known of the one from her youth. In those early years, she had come to fear a seemingly wrathful and punishing God. She could remember being taught and constantly warned of a burning hell that awaited her if she sinned; and many sins had been cited. Pulling away from such teachings had been no easy task, but she desperately wanted to believe that there was a loving God out there somewhere. Would He hear her prayers? Would He care that her children were hungry and had no warm clothes for the winter? Stubborn in her resolve to do something, though seemingly preposterous, she refused to get off her knees. Her crying and praying went on unabated.

“God, you know that my husband's sick and can no longer provide for us. You also know that I've no skills to seek employment. Besides, who'd look after my children? I just don’t know how you can help us, but I’ve been told that you're all-powerful and all-knowing. Surely, in your infinite wisdom, you can help us.” Though Sheryl’s cries had worn her out, and her knees were burning under her weight, she refused to give up. Her love for her children superceded her discomforts.

“If you show your mercy, I promise that I'll spend the rest of my life showing mercy to all who may be in need of such.”

“Mommy! Mommy! Look! I made this for you!” In near unison, her three youngest children burst through the bedroom door, excitedly showing her the Christmas cards they had been making for her and her husband. A large lump in her throat threatend to choke her as she accepted their cards. Four year-old Nicholas looked proud as a peacock as she lovingly admired his ‘masterpiece’. Sheryl gave him a desperate hug and a kiss. With tears struggling to escape from her perpetual well, she struggled to finish reading the other two.

Six year-old Lana and five year-old Tina were no less proud as they anxiously watched their mother admire their cards. But wait, they noticed her tear-stained face.

“Mommy, why yer crying?” asked Lana in her gentle youthful voice, the voice of an angel. Immediately, tender-hearted Tina struggled to wrap her little arms around her mom’s waist to comfort her.

“Because you've all made me so happy with these beautiful cards.” Sheryl was quick and desperate to hide the deeper emotions of her soul.

“Babies, go into the livingroom and wait for me. I’ll be with you shortly, okay?” With the children gone, Sheryl returned to her kneeling position and concluded her prayers. It was nearly 4 o’clock. The two oldest, twleve year-old William and ten year-old Stuart, would soon be home.

“God, I've spent this whole afternoon on my knees crying and pleading for your mercy. Now it's time to turn my attention to my precious children. They need my love and reassurance. Please, don't forsake them! And thank you, in the name of Jesus.” Wiping the tears from her face, she stood up and joins her family in the next room.

“I’m hungwy. I wanna eat.” Nicholas tugged at his mother’s jean dress. There was a look of despair in his searching eyes. The look broke his mom’s fragile heart, shattering it to pieces. How could she possibly tell her baby that all they had were crumbs? There was enough for only one more meal.

“Baby, you'll have to wait for dinner.” Sheryl cocooned Nicholas into a warm embrace, trying to distract his hunger. She then took everyone to the basement, so they could play with their toys. When they had settled in, she went up into the kitchen and began the arduous task of scavenging for food inside the empty cupboards and fridge.

In the cupboard, Sheryl found a box with a small amount of stale macaroni. In another box, there was a bit of spaghetti, but not enough to make a meal from either. She decided to combine the two. Next, she walked to the refrigerator and opened its door. Greatly disheartened, she grasped the four remaining dried up and slightly moldy carrots and the two wilted sticks of celery. This was all they had. There was no bread, milk, juice or anything else. With tears streaming down her face, she cooked what she believed was their last meal.

Two hours later, following their dismal dinner and chores, the family sat down to watch Alf, their favourite television show. This crazy furry alien had endeared himself to everyone. His funny antics were a constant source of laughter; laughter, that beautiful healing balm for the weary of heart and soul. Though her tears were still churning deep within, Sheryl basked in her momentary reprieve from the harsh reality of life. She laughed until the tears burst their banks. In the next moment, the doorbell rang.

“Who can that be?” wondered Sheryl as she walked toward the door. Curiously and slowly, she opened it and was astounded to see an old friend standing before her.

“Fabulous! What are you doing here? Come in!” She could not believe her eyes. Fabulous, her pet name for Fabian, was supposed to be in Alaska.

“I’m on leave from my job in Alaska. I was in Edmonton this afternoon, just walking around and window shopping, when I had this overwhelming urge to come and see you guys. I tried to shake the feeling, but it just got stronger and stronger, so I went to the airport, and here I am. Is everything okay?” He could feel a sense of turmoil inside his friend.

“Well, not really.” The beauty of Sheryl’s relationship with Fabulous was that there were never any secrets between them. She knew that she could share whatever troubled her with him, and he would always respect her feelings.

“Come on little bud, tell me what's troubling you.” Fabulous, a life-long friend, followed her into the living room.

“Look! It’s Uncle Fabulous!” The children's excitement at seeing their mom’s friend enter the room was splashed all over their faces. They raced up to him and gave him big hugs and sloppy kisses. It had been over one year since they last saw him, and they were happy.

“Okay munchkins, Uncle Fabulous and I need to talk for a while. Why don’t you go and play for a few minutes. It won’t be long, I promise.”

Though not happy with her request, the children dutifully listened to their mom. As soon as they were out of the room, Sheryl turned to her friend and began to tell him their predicament. She could clearly see the look of compassion in his eyes. Moved by this, the boundless well of tears spilled its banks again, soaking her face.

“Why didn’t you let me know what you were going through? You know that I would've been more than glad to help.” Fabulous warmly embraced his distraught friend.

“Hey, why don’t you gather up the kids? We’ll go for a bite somewhere. I’m famished! After we’ve eaten, we’ll drive to Safeway and buy enough food to fill your fridge and all your cupboards.”

Sheryl’s heart swelled with gratitude, and her face unexpectedly broke into a big smile as she and Fabian walked toward her children.

“Come and get dressed. Uncle Fabulous is taking us out. Where'd you like to eat?”

“McDonald’s!” shouted the children.

“McDonald’s it is!” replied Fabulous.

To see her precious youngsters wolf down their food in next to no time was painful for Sheryl to witness. Yet her soul rejoiced at the sight, for she knew that they were no longer hungry. As soon as the children were done eating, they gleefully ran off to the play area. Meanwhile, their mom and ‘uncle’ remained seated at the table and wrote an extensive grocery list.

It was nearly midnight before everyone was settled for the night. Following their massive shopping, and with the children’s insistence to help, the groceries had all been put away. And true to Fabulous’s words, the fridge, freezer, and cupboards were completely filled. There was enough food to last them several weeks.

With peace and gratitude warmly caressing her heart, Sheryl bid her friend a good night and headed off to her bedroom.

“Sheryl wait! Tomorrow morning, while the children are in school, you and I'll go shopping for their winter clothes and Christmas gifts. And we can’t forget to buy you a nice winter coat, so you can return your cousin's. In the afternoon, we’ll go and update all your utility bills and rent. If there's anything else that you may need, I’ll take care of it, okay?”

“Oh Fabulous, how am I ever going to repay you for everything?” Overcome by the sheer immensity of relief and complete joy, Sheryl broke down in the loving arms of her childhood friend and cried, yet again.

“Hush little bud, you don’t have to cry anymore. Life has chosen to smile kindly upon you tonight. Why don't you just smile back at it? And don’t even think about paying me back. What're friends for?”

“My dear, dear friend, what you see are tears of joy. Thank you soooo much for listening to those strong urges to come here. Because you did that, you’ve rescued my babies.” Sheryl could not remember when she had ever been so relieved. Incredibly happy and grateful to God for summoning Fabian, she embraced her 'Fabulous' angel of mercy.
© Copyright 2003 Izzie, cc_s princess (waniska at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/612996-Fabulous-Angel