*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/623487-Information-on-The-Strong-Abide
Rated: 18+ · Article · Biographical · #623487
Additional information about the event.
This information is not intended to explain the meaning or structure of the poem. Nor is it intended to append it in some way. The poem stands on its own. Instead, I'm providing some additional information many have asked about after their generous comments concerning the poem.

The event was real, and there was much that occurred before and after. As for sympathies, they are always appreciated, but the event occurred back in 1969 and many healing years have made it bearable. My mother will not face it, but I choose to embrace it as a part of who I am, and a part of my strength to deal with many later difficulties in life.

I was 9 years old at the time, and for many years thought my brother drowned from shear exhaustion from the abuse we suffered that night. While in college, I did a research paper on the incident. Fortunately, I was able to interview the judge that tried the case, as well as a policeman involved. Newspaper articles and other documentation provided a lot of details for me to consider.

I know the full name of the offending party. He had an arrest record at the time, and was my mother’s fiancé leading to a second marriage. Investigation reveals Michael actually died from a delayed concussion derived from a blow to the head with a rolling pin earlier in the day. Timing was such that he died while bathing and slipped peacefully under the water after his breath was already gone.

The murderer was tried and convicted of involuntary manslaughter. He received the maximum sentence at the time of 5 years imprisonment. Before the 5 years were up, he escaped from prison, was recaptured, and let out on parole. If he is still living, he is an old man now. He could live in my own neighborhood, for all I know, but more than likely he lives about two and a half hours drive away, or he is dead.

I am confident that God has and will deal with him in whatever manner is appropriate. No further closure is necessary for me.

© Copyright 2003 Gentle Ben (gentleben at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/623487-Information-on-The-Strong-Abide