*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/638867-Work-Place-Drama
Rated: · Fiction · Biographical · #638867
The private toughts of a chef
Every day I wake at the same time. Hours before my family. I shower and shave; brush my teeth and drink my coffee.
When my eldest wakes, I fix him breakfast, keep him on his schedule of morning " Must-Do's" so he doesn't miss the bus, which arrives at 6:37 am.
(I guess those years in the military really rubbed off because I tend play the drill sgt.'s role too easily.)
By the time my eldest is on the bus, I then make a little something for my wife so she doesn't have to trouble herself. (You see, she isn't a morning person. As a matter of fact; she is the furthest thing from being a morning person there is.) So, I do my little part to get her day off to a better start.
Just before I leave the house, I put on my "gear". Pen-keys-(two sets)-breath spray-(consideration of others, always)-wallet-carmex-hankerchief-bag of file folders and on occasion a lap top.
Once I am strapped up with the burden of my position; I head on to work.

I arrive in the kitchen just two hours after my first cook. He has already made the bacon, biscuits and gravy and is ready to begin working on lunch.
Ten minutes to open. I make the rounds. Check that the hot well's are piping hot; check that all the pastries are freshly made and that the biscuits are not getting hard or flattened because my cook sometimes over fills the pan.
I make changes to the menu board so the customers get the freshest news on the freshest foods.

In my office.I begin the tac-tac-tac of entering invoices, checking the daily e-mails, working out the next week's menu and a various cornucopia of busy work that lasts some two hours every day.

This is the best part of a Chef's day. I dare say it is the one time in the day that he is the most serene and placid.

Everyone has a mental image of the angry demanding chef in their head? That image is very prestigious because; to be a chef is to demand, nay COMMAND, the very best from his cooks and staff. To be anything less than the best means that the customer may potentially receive lackluster food. Many cannot tell you the difference in flavor when you consider the attitude of the one cooking your meal. But I say, "If you are not excited to cook great food then your cooking will taste old and bland".
Angry cooks produce bitter food.

Lazy cooks make people sick.


I can not begin to tell you how important it is to cook with goodness in your heart. Wholesome food is the product of an inspired mind and a caring spirit.

"It is so much better to please someone with good food than it is to douse them with good drink".

"Satisfaction comes easily to those who desire to cook wholesome foods."

Look for another day in the life soon.
Chef
© Copyright 2003 Hutch Williamson (hutchison_wm at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/638867-Work-Place-Drama