*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/650704-Silenced-Voice
Rated: E · Short Story · Drama · #650704
A story based in the 1920's about missing diamonds and a guy with no voice.
Silenced Voice

It is a night like any other. Sammy playing his slow tunes on the piano, smoke so thick you can't see half way across the bar, some dame telling the bar keep to send me drinks, and me just killing time. I spend most nights in this place, Moonlight Nights nightclub, owned by Mr. Garzini himself. Garzini… he’s my… employer. He gives me jobs and I take care of them. My name… They call me Voice. It’s one of those names that don’t exactly make sense; like a big guy called tiny, or a skinny guy called chubs. Apparently I have no voice. I lost it a long time ago after some guy cut out my voice box. So now they call me Voice. I’m all right with it. I still do my job, and I do it well. My job is… well… lets just say I’m multi talented.

I see Garzini’s boys emerge from the cumulous smoke cloud, making their way towards my table. They were his usual gopher boys, Tim and Mickey. Not strong enough to be body guards, and as long as they were together, not dumb enough to mess anything up. Both were a little taller than myself, always in a dress shirt and a vest, never a blazer. Not like myself. Tonight it was a snow white suit, complete with snow white blazer, a snow white hat with a black strip ‘bout half way up the top, and my snow white trench coat to end the ensemble. It’s my usual attire when Garzini calls me. I tip my hat to the girl at the bar, and flick Sammy a quarter before picking up my trench coat and following Tim and Mickey to Garzini’s little back room.

“So nice to see you Voice, glad you could make it. Hey sit down, why don’t ya.” He acts like I wasn’t going to show up. I always show up. If it weren’t for him I wouldn’t have any money, and if it weren’t for me he wouldn’t be where he is today. Granted, he’s not the top crime boss he wants to be, but he’s more powerful than he’d ever be if I didn’t work for him. I’m his hit man, his banker, his driver, his occasional body guard, even his negotiator; hey like I said… I’m multi talented. “Cigarette?” Garzini asks after taking a cigarette out of a wooden container he had on his desk. You would usually put cigars in a container like that but Garzini didn’t smoke cigars so cigarettes would have to do. I take the cigarette and put it in my mouth. He offers me a light but I have my own. “So then,” was how he started almost every sentence. “Down to business.”

“There’s a boat coming in tomorrow morning at the south end of the Morning Dew docks. Be there by eight am, by that time the boat is supposed to be empty. I want you to sneak on board, and go below the deck. Below deck, you’ll find a singular wooden container marked fragile. Inside the container is a solid silver briefcase. Don’t open the briefcase just bring it to me.” I think he is going to keep talking but he stops there as if he is finished. I start thinking "that’s it?" Garzini only calls me for big jobs that involve a lot of skill, now he wants me to do something Tim and Mickey can handle. “Understand?” I give him the look I give everybody. I look them straight in the eyes with absolutely no expression on my face. I don’t move. I merely blink my silver eyes once every ten seconds. I find it amazing how effective a stare can be. He smiles and throws half my pay on the table, exactly $500. Now I’m thinking that’s pretty steep, one grand for a pick up and drop off. He tells me the name of the boat is the Tiny Virgin then signals for Tim and Mickey to escort me out.

I leave Moonlight Nights and head back to the Midnight Palace hotel. That’s where I live. A broken down, sorry excuse for an establishment in downtown Newish York. I don’t mind it at all. I’m hardly ever there anyway. I’m hardly ever anywhere. I’m always out doing a job or entertaining a woman. Midnight Palace is… my rest stop. The place where I do absolutely nothing. I get there in about half an hours time. I walk right past the front desk and up to my second story room. The desk clerk knows I’ll pay him so he doesn’t bother asking for money, he just keeps my room empty and wakes me up at seven every morning.

I kick off my shoes by a mattress that lay on the floor, I then walk over to a couch by the window. My mistake, the couch is by a boarded up hole in the wall, where a window would be. There’s a tiny space between two boards where you can clearly see outside but it’s almost impossible to see in. I like to sit here and watch the “night crawlers.” You’d be surprised by what you see at night; I’ve seen it all. Crooked cops, Taxi driving pimps, even a few pansy couples. What I like the most are the hit men.

You see by working for Garzini, or any crime boss for that matter, you tend to become enemies with other crime bosses. Now I’m just trying to do my job but it doesn’t seem to matter. Sometimes I wonder where they find these hired hands because they’re really bad at what they do. There’s no back door to the Midnight Palace hotel so these chumps will park in front of the place and march in through the front door. They caught me off guard once and I nearly met my maker, but most of the time I’ll duck out of my room and hide a few stories up, or I’ll steal their car and leave it double-parked in front of a police station. If they’re really incompetent I’ll wait till they slip in my room then I’ll slip out right behind them.

I remove my Magnum with the ten-inch silencer from the holster I had grafted into my trench coat. Using my trench coat as a pillow I lie down on the couch and try to relax. I push my Magnum in between the cushion just below my waist. After a deep breath I gaze out the window at the stars.

My eyes open to the sound of someone, probably the deskclerk, knocking on my door. I jump out of my sleep. I don’t remember falling asleep, and if anyone ever got that close to my door I’d be squeezing the trigger by now. Nevertheless, it is probably 7:05 by now and I have a job to do. I slip my feet into my shoes, threow on my trench coat, put my gun in its holster grab my hat and run out the door.

I arrive at the docks at 7:51 so I decide to have a cigarette. I don’t like doing things early, I think nine minutes was a little too early.

Morning Dew dock is huge. It was built some fifty years ago completely out of wood. Newish York’s biggest dock, Newish York’s only dock. As beautiful as it was when it was first built, it, like everything else in Newish York, has lost its luster. The wood is old and decaying. People fear even walking on the dock nowadays. There have been a few of instances where people actually fell right trough the dock into the water. Not to mention the dock and ship workers are old, miserable, and overweight.

After the cigarette I walk passed all the dock and ship workers. Surprisingly they don't try to stop me, they don't even approach me for that matter. It could be because of what happened about four months ago. Garzini found out that one of the ship workers was stealing from his shipments so he ordered me to take care of him. About an hour later I came here, unloaded six rounds in the guy's chest, turned around and drove off. It's not that I wanted to do it, but it’s my job.

The Tiny Virgin is right where Garzini said it would be. I get on board and go below deck where I find the box marked fragile. I open the box; low and behold the briefcase is inside. "This mission is way too easy," I think. Oh well! I grab the briefcase, got in my car and leave.

Walking through Moonlight Nights in the day always mesmerizes me. The place is so lively come nightfall. Every night of the week Garzini has a different performer. Some night’s Garzini will bring in some up beat classy band and everyone will be on the dance floor jumpin’ and jivin’, then comes the day. You got a single barkeep, who seems to forever be shining a glass, and a floor man, who seems to be forever sweeping the floor. Tim and Mickey, like always, escort me to Garzini’s back office. I present Garzini with the briefcase thinking I will get my pay and be on my way. Garzini opens the briefcase, looks inside, closes the briefcase, folds his hands, places them on top of the brief case and says…
“So, where are my diamonds?” He catches me off guard with this question. "What diamonds?" I think to myself, but I don't lose my cool. I lean forward a little and look him straight in the eyes with my expressionless stare. “What do you mean you don’t know!?! I don’t buy it! Look Voice, you’ve got 24 hours to find my diamonds, or else.”

"Or else what?" I think to myself after Tim and Mickey throw me out. Regardless, I’ve got nothing except for some missing diamonds and 24 hours. Twenty four hours to do what exactly? Find diamonds I just found out exist not 5 minutes ago? Garzini’s not gonna kill me... he needs me. No matter, I should still at least try to find these… diamonds. I guess I’ll return to Midnight Palace hotel, I’ll try to think of something.

I drive up around the front of Midnight Palace hotel only to see a couple of men get out of a car and step into the hotel. I’m thinking finally, "Maybe I can get some questions answered." I tiptoe in through the front door. Hmmm, nobody on the first floor, guess they already made their way up to my room. I hear something muffled from behind the front desk. I figure they tied up the desk clerk, at least he’s alive. Making my way up the stairs I think about how exactly I am going to go about interrogating them. Oh, it didn’t matter I’d think of something. The door is agar when I see it. It didn’t matter if I had left it open or closed when I left, if anyone is in there the door would be closed. I nonchalantly walk in my room, slam the door shut, and stand behind it waiting. Less then 10 seconds later the two men burst into my room ready to fire at whatever they see. Slowly emerging from behind the door I shoot the one furthest from me in the foot causing him to drop his gun and fall to the ground. I then hold my gun to the back of the other man's head.

“All right Voice, you got us. You’re umm, gonna let us go right?” I cock my gun. “Okay I guess not.” Out of the corner of my eye I see the other man slowly reaching for a gun he has in a chest holster so I shoot him in the other foot. Dropping that gun as well, he starts rocking left to right on the ground, holding a foot in each hand, yelling obscenities. “I don’t know what you want Voice but I ain't got it.” I throw the guy on the couch and quickly move over to him this time holding my gun millimeters from his eye. “I swear to you Voice whatever you want I don’t got it!” His partner quiets down and I know he has to be reaching for one of the guns he dropped; So I place my knee on the chest of the guy I had thrown on the couch, in order to keep my balance, then with my free hand I pull the guy's gun out of his chest holster and shoot his partner in the shin. The guy on the couch is dazed for a second in awe at my draw speed and shot accuracy. “All right, Big Vin sent us to whack you that’s all I know.” His partner is now writhing in pain, so I shoot him a stare that turns his cries to a whimper. “C’mon Voice, please don’t kill me.” The guy is nearly in tears now and I feel sorry for him.

I untie the desk clerk and shoot out the hitmen's tires before I take off in my car again. Twenty-three hours left. I am driving aimlessly around and find myself on the freeway. I am two exits away from Dawn Ave. I remember me and an old partner of mine, used to have an informant that hung around the corner of Dawn Avenue and Dusk Boulevard.

I park two blocks away from Dawn and Dusk and walk up the street. I recognize him almost immediately. Mouth was what we called him, and rightfully so. He talked his way in and out of problems all the time. It looks as though he recognizes me too, because as soon as he catches sight of me he takes off. This I don't really expect. Luckily I left my trench coat in my car, it is too hot to be wearing it anyway, and too heavy to effectively chase someone in, especially Mouth. I run down the street to see him make a left down an alleyway. While gaining I chase him through a few twists and turns until a fence stops him. Mouth can run, but he can't climb a flight of steps let alone a fence. He has this thing about heights. Not a thing, more of an unexplainable terror. If he jumps too high he start shaking in fear before his feet touch the ground again… literally. I’ve seen it happen. Although I don't have my trench coat I have my gun. I always have my gun. It was in the holster I have grafted into my blazer. I should have left my blazer in the car, as well; it’s much too hot to be running around in a full suit.

Mouth at first has his back to me, but quickly spins around with a gun of his own. This was new for Mouth; he never used to carry weapons… Then again I hadn’t seen Mouth in about 5 years.
“All right Voice, I got you know.”
“…” My blank stare.
“Leave me for the cops eh? Well… I got away, and now you’re mine.” A few years ago prohibition laws were in full effect. Mouth tried to open his own speak easy underground bar, but Garzini running Moonlight Nights as his own speak easy didn’t need any competition; so he sent me to take care of Mouth. But I considered Mouth a friend and he was the best back alley informant in Newish York. So instead of whacking him I tipped him off to the cops and landed him a spot in jail. “Yeah… so… gimme all your money!” I knew he’d make some mistake. I reach into my blazer like I am pulling out my wallet but instead I break out the Magnum. “Drop your gun… now!” Mouth shouts in a shaky voice. I take all the bullets out of the barrel but close my hand quickly so he can't see exactly how many bullets I have. I spin the barrel to make him think there is a bullet inside and I point the gun at Mouth’s head. Mouth's hands start to shake and a few beads of sweat appeared above his brow. “I’m warning you Voice!”
…click…
“So what if the gun has no bullets I wasn’t really gonna rob you Voice c’mon.” Mouth says dropping his gun.
…click…
“Okay, yeah, I was only in jail for 6 months but you can't blame me for being mad can you?”
…click…
“Okay, all right, maybe you can but… we go so far back. Are you really gonna…” Mouth is backing up, nervous sweat now streaming down his face.
…click…
“Yes, I guess you are, but Voice what could I know that you don’t?” Mouth is nearly on his knees, and I notice a tear start to run down his face.
…click…
Mouth falls to his knees closes his eyes and starts speaking very quickly.
“Wheels is back. At least I think so, I’m not sure. I caught a glimpse of a guy in a car that looked like Wheels; but it couldn’t be Wheels cause you off'd Wheels so please don’t kill me. Voice…Voice…”

Twenty-two hours left. Wheels was my old partner. Best wheelman around… well he was... until I took care of him. We were small time bank robbers. I would rob the bank, he would drive, and I don’t care who you were, you couldn’t catch him. Behind the wheel of a car he was unstoppable. He and I would race each other all the time, but he was always just that much better at ducking and weaving through traffic. The night I killed him was the same night I started working for Garzini. We were starting to make a name for ourselves in the “underworld.” Garzini caught wind of us and sent Tim and Mickey to find us. Eventually Wheels and I ran into Garzini's boys… or did they run into us… Anyhow Tim and Mickey brought Wheels and me to Garzini. Garzini told us we had potential and would be a big part of his organization. Wheels didn’t take the job… but I did. That was over 5 years ago. Now, I’m back on the freeway driving. Not knowing where to, just driving.

I start to run low on fuel so decide to come off at the next exit to fill the tank. A full tank of gas, for the sole reason of driving everywhere... but going nowhere. Twenty-one hours left. A car drives up beside me as I’m pumping gas into my car; I am too absorbed in thinking about Wheels to pay any attention to it.
“Hey stranger, it’s been a while.”
“…”
“Oh, that’s right, you ain't got no voice box.” The comment stuns me for a second. The only people that know me won't talk to me because they know they’d get no response. I look at the car and into the driver’s side window that's just over my right shoulder. Looking back at me with a big smile on his face is none other than Wheels.

Twenty hours left. I don't pay for the gas but I’m glad I got it. If I hadn’t I’d be on the side of the freeway, out of gas, and Wheels would be long gone. Either he’s not as good a driver as he used to be, or I got better, because I’m right on his tail and he can’t shake me. It kinda feels good keeping up with him, but I need to catch him. I need to know how Wheels is alive and why he’s back now. I’ve been following him for about an hour.

Why’s he turning off the freeway? Why’s he going into the main road? No he’s getting away… I can’t keep up… Damn it! He’s still the best! This doesn't help at all, and now I got cops on my tail. Oh, I can’t have this happen now. I’m running out of time, and now I’m going to jail. For the first time in my life… I got caught.

Back then I had a voice, but Garzini didn’t care. If Wheels didn’t join him he was against him and Garzini wanted as few enemies as possible. His philosophy was; “The sooner they’re gone the less you have.” So, I went to do my job…my first job… Whack my best friend.

I went to the apartment where we were staying. It made sense; where else would Wheels be?
“Thought you had your big job with Gar-whatever.”
“Yeah, and lucky me, I already got my first assignment.”
“Really!?! And what’s that?”
“You” I said pulling out a gun.
“You’re not serious!” He replied. Then Wheels, out of nowhere, threw a knife at me. I tried to dodge it I shot twice but the knife caught me right across the throat. The last thing I remember was seeing blood run out from Under Wheels’ chest. Then, with my hands around my neck I blacked out.

“Hey you!” Said an officer “You who can’t… err… doesn’t talk! Your $500 went through, you made bail. You can go.” Ten hours left.
“Voice!” Wheels is waiting for me outside the police station. “That’s what they call you now right? I went to see our old friend Mouth and that’s what he told me. Voice, eh… I guess I got you good. Come on, lets go somewhere where we can “talk.”

My car is impounded so Wheels drives me to wherever he is taking me. Brings back memories of 5 plus years ago when we were partners. He takes us to our old apartment that hasn’t been used since Wheels and I… The apartment brings back memories too. Memories that aren't as fond as the ones I had on our way here. Memories I’ve tried to forget.

“Voice, you remember this place, right?” Wheels asks as we make our way up the stairs. “How could you forget? This was our… humble abode so to speak.” In actuality the 3 story complex was shut down after what happened with me and Wheels. We walk right in and up to our room. When we got there the door is open. I guess it hadn’t been touched at all after the cops had finished with it. We walk in and I know it hadn’t been touched after the cops were finished. There are still police barriers, chalk outlines, and bloodstains on the floor. The moon is in a position that light the room perfectly.

“Oh look, over here is where you shot me.” Wheels says walking over to a chalk outline. “A chalk outline. My chalk outline. I died. You killed me… well almost. Shot me twice in the chest check it out.” He unzips his jacket and undoes a few buttons in his shirt to show me the bullet scars on his chest. One by his right shoulder, and the other about 8 inches below that. “Yep those are real,” he says re-buttoning his shirt. “And so am I. They thought I was dead but apparently I had a pulse and eventually I pulled through; lucky me eh!?! Look Voice, no hard feelings okay? You were just doin’ what you had to.” Wheels takes a few steps toward me. “ Now I’m doin’ what I have to.” He quickly spins me around and I feel a sharp pain at the back of my head. Nine hours left.

Garzini came to the hospital to see how I was doing. I was the newest member of his “entourage.” He told the doctors he was my father and surprisingly they believed him. There was no point in arguing with Garzini. I had no ID on me and couldn’t very well talk for myself so it was all right with them as long as it was all right with me. They told Garzini they didn’t know how I lived. My throat was slit so deep it messed up my voice box. They told him I might as well have no voice box because there was only a 5% chance I’d ever talk again. No, Wheels didn’t cut out my voice box, but that’s what Garzini told everyone so I didn’t argue. I wouldn’t have, if I could at first… at first. You see I did eventually get my voice back. I can talk, I just don’t. I’m better at my job more now than I ever was with a voice, so why ruin a good thing?

It feels like I have a hang over. Due to the bump on the back of my head I know I was pistol-whipped. Sunlight shines through the window and I know my time is almost up. I don’t know whether to be mad at Wheels or thank him. I did need a good night sleep but this was the worst of all times. Regardless I need someway to get to Garzini and without my car…

“I don’t know why, but Wheels told me to wait for you here, then drive you to this address.” Mouth explains as we made our way to Moonlight Nights.

Looks like Wheels’ return is more than coincidence. He has been setting this up the whole time. Wasting my time in jail, knocking me out, the car chase, it was all a ploy to waste my time… but why? Is he working for Garzini now? Could he have the diamonds? Could he have been setting this up from the start? Time’s almost up. Voice is at a loss for words. One hour left.

I burst into Garzini’s office. Tim comes at me. I dodge his right hand and hit him with a right hook of my own. I see Mickey from the corner of my eye take out a gun. Tim lunges forward trying to spear me but I sidestep it and in turn he spears Mickey. Mickey drops the gun. I pick it up but before anything else can happen Garzini, who is sitting at his desk fires two shots into the ceiling.

“So, where are my diamonds?”
“…”
“Voice, I like you. You’re a good guy, and my ‘go to guy’ but you’re not the best.”
“…”
“You’ve been outsmarted by the best. Not only that, you didn’t finish the job.” The door opens and a man enters wearing my hat and trench coat and carrying a silver briefcase. “Ah my diamonds.” The man places the briefcase on the desk. Garzini opens it revealing about 25,000 dollars in diamonds. They are single, circular diamonds, about 1 inch in length, and maybe half an inch in diameter. They are individually embedded into the dark turquoise velvet covering of the briefcase. They are absolutely beautiful the way they glisten in the light. “Voice, meet the best!” The guy wearing my hat and trench coat slowly turns around to reveal himself.

“Surprised pal?” asks Wheels. “C’mon Voice I know you better than this, you had to have figured it out by now. I have nothing against you; I just need to get back in the game. And how better than taking out the man that supposedly took me out.” Wheels winks at me.

“So,” Garzini starts up again, “any last words Voice?”
“… See you in hell Garzini. See you in hell…”

Bang, bang… bang-bang-bang-bang.

The End…
© Copyright 2003 Peter Parker (gr8-1 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/650704-Silenced-Voice