*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/658133-Kanjar---Ch-1
Rated: 13+ · Article · Fantasy · #658133
Randalin begins a challenging quest to protect the heir to the throne from assassins.
"Seldor," The Princess erupted, "until the day comes that you have the throne, you will listen to what I say. I am not calling off the investigation and I am not going to hide!"

"But, Majesty, surely you must realize." The small man knew his argument was dead before it reached the Princess' ears. He was, however, determined to try. "You must take precautions, for the guards last night were the finest we have! The assassins reached your chambers without disturbing any who rested and even the guards knew nothing of it! It is madness to remain..."

Seldor's echoing voice was drowned out as the colossal chamber doors burst open as if struck by a giant. Laurinda glared sternly to the door, with a silent prayer on her heart.

Three men and a woman entered at a calm pace. The first, Laurinda recognized. The others shrouded their faces in their hooded cloaks. "I should hope you remember me, Excellency. What was the purpose of your summons?"

Laurinda gave a relieved sigh as she recognized her first love, "Of course, Randalin, how could I not remember you? I fear this is a grave matter. Last night, one or more assassins slipped past my guards. When I awoke, they'd visited me, leaving a warning. I will not be scared into calling the inquiry regarding the Dark Brotherhood of Alagar to a halt. It has taken much money and time and I intend to see it through."

"So you wish us to deter the Assassin's Guild and further the inquisition. Correct?" The tall warrior replied.

"Indeed, you are as quick in thought as you always were. Is your blade still as swift?"

"Your ladyship, Have you anything further for us before we depart? If not, we should not tarry any longer than we must. After all, the longer we are here, the more likely they are to know of our involvement and of your intentions." Randalin quickly replied. He'd almost forgotten what it was that first brought him to the Princess, those years ago. But now it had returned...

They were young, he was not more than 15. Squire to the Knight Aldarin. Aldarin was less than a kind man, but his loyalty to the crown was great. His task was to see to the Princess’ safety. She was barely 13 in those days. But soon they met. There was no avoiding it. Randalin knew he could not expect her to return his affection, but that did not stop him.

One winter evening, as Aldarin fell ill, he gave his squire a sword, shield and dagger, 'As long as I cannot assure her protection, you must. If anything happens to her, I shall be certain you regret it for the rest of your life, whelp."

Randalin knew there was no escaping it. For there had been several attempts to kidnap young Laurinda. As Randalin was away in the encroaching night, Aldarin died suffering from a strange affliction which the healers and priests knew little of. But Randalin was unaware of his demise.

Soon Randalin came upon the Princess' chamber. Gently he knocked, but there was no answer. Perhaps she had already retired for the night, but then perhaps something had occurred.

The King, Grelynd, would surely have Randalin impaled if he entered and nothing was amiss. The thought, however, the idea that she could be in danger stood out in his mind as far more important. Laurinda is the only heir to the throne and the King may have little time left.

Randalin crept silently into the room, his hand upon the broadsword Aldarin had provided him. The sword was heavier than Randalin was used to, but it would have to suffice if as he thought something was wrong. A sudden shout came from the corridor as a patrolling guard saw him step inside.

Randalin saw a shadow-like figure before him. With stunning quickness it spun to face him, and a talon covered hand raked his face. Suddenly, Randalin felt a loss of his strength, his entire body felt numb. With little ability to move, Randalin saw another figure sprinkle a faintly glowing powder over the slumbering princess, then lift her abruptly from the bed.

The Guard burst into the room, he too quickly fell to the silent monster's power. Randalin was regaining his strength but still had no feeling. Although weak, he drew the Broadsword and struggled to his feet. The beast did not hear him, for he wore no knight's armor. The beast was between him and the one who had the Princess. What he did then was not done of loyalty to the crown, nor of fear of Aldarin, but out of his feelings of love for the her.

Randalin released his grip on the shield and hurled himself forward at the creature. The heavy sword found its mark, striking the creature across the chest, but the creature merely stepped back and swung. It still made virtually no sound save that of breathing. Its massive hand grazed Randalin's shoulder, renewing the numbness and weakness he felt. He charged still forward and wedged past the beast in his fury. Only one thing mattered. They could not take Laurinda, for her own sake. For his sake.

A cry rang forth from his lips, as the sword whisked forward striking the cloak of the shadow figure holding her. The sword was deflected harmlessly and Randalin was sent tumbling. There was a commotion in the hall, as guards and other warriors rushed to find the source of the battle cry.

Randalin raised the sword as he returned to his feet. In an instant he barred the way to the window. He had the advantage that the intruder was slowed by carrying the Princess. The figure hesitated, then spoke strange words. Suddenly, Randalin was unable to move and the intruder slipped out the window into the night.

The beast stayed behind, smiting warriors as they entered the chamber. After several minutes passed, the creature was still striking down anything that moved. But with a lightning fast motion, Randalin was moving at last, and the sword found the back of the creature's head. It toppled helplessly to the ground.

Randalin, perhaps affected still by the magic which held him and the numbing of the creature's strike, fell to the ground, his sword crashing sharply against the floor. Randalin was unable to hold back the tears.

By morning, the King knew everything of the encounter that anyone but Randalin could explain. Randalin had been notified of Aldarin's demise. The Healers suspected a curse. When the King called for Randalin, he saw the tears in his eyes.

The King had tried to console Randalin, but it was the King's mistake that the tears were for loss in battle and the loss of Aldarin. They were not. Randalin could not tell this to the King, for he would never have allowed Randalin to see his daughter, save as her servant or guardian.

It was that day, that Randalin for the first time, ever brought up a topic in his few conversations with the King. Before, he had never felt the courage. His words were simple. "If I may be proclaimed a Knight by your hand, I shall see the Princess returned safely. If I may not, I must leave to find her the same. "

Thus, Randalin became a Knight of Kanjar. Within the hour he set forth, bearing what little was given him by Aldarin's heirs and the few things his family could afford.


Randalin realized, he must depart quickly to prevent the Assassins' Guild time to prepare. The Brotherhood of Alagar must not know of their actions, which would indicate they should spend little time here.

“You know the lands better than I, Randalin, I trust your companions can be trusted. Go, you can find them easier than I." Laurinda replied in an unusually pained voice. It was obvious that she too recalled their past.

Randalin and his three comrades bowed and left the courtroom. Preparing to make a journey to the Mountains of Solitude. The home of the Oracle of the Sword. If any could find the Brotherhood, it would be the Oracle. The problem was first the Oracle must be reached, then convinced to help. With only a few days, they would have to move swiftly.

"I shall provide our transportation as far as the mountains, but their magic is far too powerful for me to penetrate," Shalandra explained. "I cannot unravel the magical barriers which run throughout them. My powers will be useless once we enter."

"I understand, Shalandra. If you get me to the mountains, I'll go in alone if need be!" Randalin thundered.

In moments a dull almost transparent golden disc appeared beneath them. Soon they were well on their way. But the Mountains of Solitude were over 6 days away by horse. With Shalandra's aid, they could arrive within a day, if all goes well. But if Shalandra, High Sorceress of Thryx, cannot affect the barrier, then she would be unable to provide protection against any other threat from within the mountains either.

Randalin was coming to like this less and less. He pondered deeply, Without Shalandra, It'll be twice as difficult, for her magic has been a key to many of the successes of our past. If her powers are not great enough, then what awaits us within the mountains?

Before the day came to an end, the revelation of the true nature of the mountains became apparent. Randalin was both amazed and repulsed by what could be seen as the mountains became closer.
© Copyright 2003 Scott Luinstra (randalin at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/658133-Kanjar---Ch-1