*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/659552-PARADISE--Chapt-3
Rated: ASR · Short Story · Action/Adventure · #659552
Does Beth overcome her fears or does she become just another victim?
Chapter 3


         The day dragged on for Beth as she tried to perform her daily tasks and rituals necessitated by being so far from electricity, plumbing, corner market and TV. Tony insisted on shadowing her where ever she went which added to her nervousness.

         'What does he want from me and when will he attack', she wondered.'Is he waiting for the right moment or what?'

         That evening found them again within the closed walls of the cabin eating a simple but delicious meal which Tony insisted on preparing himself.

         Beth caught herself staring at him across the table. He wasn't bad looking. A rugged face that must have known better days, a taut figure that spoke of muscles beneath the plaid shirt and a smooth voice that had already begun to lull her into a more relaxed composure.

         A slight grin creased his face with additional wrinkles and his eyes caught hers in an unspoken embrace.

         Beth wrenched her eyes away trying to still her wildly beating heart. How could this happen to her? The turmoil now beginning to roil up inside her had to stop. Love never came this easy to her before. He was the wrong one. A murderer. And yet he was so calm and familiar. She heard of people like this who were con artists.

         "Nervous?"

         "No I'm fine." Beth stood up to clear the table and heat up water for dishes, her legs performing like jelly.

         "There's something I've been meaning to tell you," Tony began.

         "I don't want to know," Beth stuttered. And she didn't. Some things are better not known about. Maybe she will get out alive if she doesn't know.

         'Damn it', she thought 'I am actually beginning to like this guy. What will I do if he tries to kill me tonight?'

         Lucky for her, Tony didn't say anything more as he helped dry the dishes and put them away. Or unlucky; Beth couldn't say for sure which.

         Finally came the dreaded moment. Beth had to pay a last visit to the little house out back before she turned in for the night. Tony had already settled in on the couch with a couple blankets she had packed in case company came.

         'Maybe a quick run out and back and he won't notice,' she thought.

         She dimmed the kerosene lamp and slipped through the door into the night. The cooler air was refreshing but the night sounds were eery. She shivered as she made her way to the dark shape against the spruce. Her flashlight needed new batteries but was bright enough to pick out the worn path.

         On the way back to the house, she heard a snap of a twig breaking behind her. Pulse racing, she began moving more quickly towards the dimly lit cottage But a hand from the dark grabbed her arm and a rough hand covered her mouth.

         "Don't scream. Stay quiet and everything will be alright." A deep voiced whispered in her ear.

         Beth nodded. What good would it do anyhow? There was no one to hear her but the bear.

         The man released his hand from around her mouth and turned her around. She gasped. It was not Tony.

         "Take it easy, Miss. I am Officer Brown, State Police. I have reason to believe the man inside your house is the escaped convict we are looking for. Is there some place you can hide until the coast is clear? I have to go in and arrest him and there might be gunfire."

         Beth pointed to a boat house down by the dock. There was no need for further instructions. Within moments she climbed into her cousin's boat inside the boathouse.

         At first there was only the night sounds and the gentle splash of the water hitting the side of the boathouse. She was beginning to feel foolish just for being there.

         Suddenly a shout broke the evening silence. She cringed as a staccato of gunshots peppered the silence. Then just as suddenly all was quiet once more.

         Beth couldn't prevent the tears that began to wet her cheeks. Tony wasn't so bad. Somehow he had worked his way into her heart and now he was gone again. Just like that. Life was not fair.

         She climbed out of the boat and peeked cautiously out the door. Faintly, she could make out a man standing over another who was laying on the ground at his feet. Gathering up courage, she walked across the yard.

         "Everything OK?" she asked.

         The man turned around and Beth shrieked. It was Tony. Adrenaline pumping, she ran for the house. Once inside, she locked the door and ran into her bedroom. The dresser was heavy but she managed to drag it in front of the door.

         "Beth," a voice called to her, accompanied by a knock on the front door.

         Huddled in the middle of her bed, Beth began to sob. Would this nightmare ever stop? Where was cousin Billy? What would happen to her?

         After a few minutes the knocking stopped but that did not comfort Beth. 'What was he doing now?' she wondered.

Chapter 4 - "Paradise chapt 4
© Copyright 2003 Write-fully Loti (loti at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/659552-PARADISE--Chapt-3