*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/661400-Between-The-Cracks
Rated: E · Essay · Political · #661400
Life is good even for those of us who have lived life a bit differently.
Every time there is a media piece on homeschooling the concern is raised that some homeschooled children may, without government oversight, "fall between the cracks".

After reading the latest account I began to think about my own schooling. You see, I was one who had "fallen between the cracks". Ironically, it was inside one of the most regulated institutions in the country and, still, there I was, between the cracks.

During high school I regularly failed my classes only to pass by acing the exams. I hardly even went to school. I missed 42 days in one semester. Then I failed my senior year, took two classes in summer school, failed one of them and had to return to earn my diploma.

When I registered for my summer school classes after my senior year, my guidance counselor asked me if I "did drugs". I didn't. Nor did I drink, smoke, swear or hang out. I had no police record. He was baffled as to why I had failed and so was I. Now I know that I was just "between the cracks" where they couldn’t reach.

I knew lots of others from school who had also fallen there. Some of them got into trouble, some dropped out and others just drifted from view. We were all there between the cracks for many reasons. Some, like me, were just bored and didn’t care about school. Others lived the horrors of abuse and had no room left in their lives for school. Many just found other outlets for their time and energy; drugs, music, employment, motherhood, travel.

I’d have a difficult time trying to figure out what to say to anyone who would actually recognize me if I went back. You see, I am still “between the cracks”. My life has not been a success in their terms. I have no college degree, no career and precious little money. I don’t own my own house or even a car.

I do, however, have a marriage of over 20 years, four beautiful unschooled children (who have been raised right here, between the cracks). I've spent countless hours volunteering, founded several organizations and owned three moderately successful businesses. I've grown my own food including raising and slaughtering poultry. I can spin wool, weave and sew my own clothes.

I've learned how to play the piano, interpret for the Deaf, organize conferences and train dogs. I have been interviewed for radio, television and print. I was the subject of a cover story for a large urban weekly. I have directed Shakespeare and developed a love for the opera. I performed in my first professional theatre production at the age of 38 and regularly work as a volunteer costumer.

People I don't know contact me for advice and information on a daily basis. I'm asked to speak to groups that range from political to educational to religious. I've sat on the boards of charitable organizations and was a member of the American Library Association.

My writings have been published in small specialty magazines and large international publications. I developed an innovative foreign language curriculum for children and was once teaching (very effectively) over 100 students languages I don’t even speak. I was the January 1997 Daily Didactic Diversion winner at cartalk.com but never made it to Politically Incorrect.

I've hosted award winning, internationally renowned authors and recently dined with the mayor of Houston, Texas and a U.S. Representative. I served a Congressional internship before congressional internships were considered risky (or is that risqué?) and I have won two local elections; one as a Democrat and one as a Republican but I belong to neither party now.

I'm not bragging, mind you. Anybody could do the same and more- that is as long as they're not caught in the 9-5/carpooling/keeping-up-with-the-Joneses rut- the world outside the crack. I just wanted to bring out the point that it's not so bad between the cracks which is a good thing since no government can prevent anyone from falling there. It can't prevent it in the institutions it runs and it definitely can't prevent it in private homes. Indeed, it shouldn't.

© Copyright 2003 Unschooler (unschooler at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/661400-Between-The-Cracks