*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/672409-Floppy-Disk
Rated: ASR · Short Story · Horror/Scary · #672409
What happens when an unsuspecting girl finds something ordinary that turns out not to be?
“Help!” she screamed as her fingers clawed desperately at the edge of the cliff. “Somebody please help me!” She looked down again, screaming in pure terror. Slowly, her fingers started peeling off the edge of the cliff until she was hanging by just her two index fingers. She screamed one final time as she began to fall.
Cassie Johnston sat bolt upright in bed. She tried to calm herself down. “I need to find a way to stop these nightmares,” she muttered. Cassie looked at her clock. The display read 6:59 AM. As she watched, the clock turned to 7:00, and her alarm went off. She got out of bed and started towards the shower.
After she had gotten dressed, she headed downstairs. Halfway down the stairs, the delicious aroma of her mother’s pancakes hit her. Cassie took the rest of the stairs two at a time. When she got downstairs, her mother was waiting with a stack of pancakes drenched in syrup, just the way Cassie liked them.
Cassie quickly ate them, brushed her teeth, and put her shoes on. It took her ten minutes to find her backpack and get it packed. By the time she got outside, her best friend, Calandra, was waiting for her.
“What happened?” Calandra asked.
“Couldn’t find my backpack,” Cassie replied.
“Oh.”
“How cool!” Cassie exclaimed. “Your mom finally let you get that matching earring, necklace, and bracelet set!”
Calandra looked down. “Oh, yeah.” She seemed kind of distant to Cassie. Cassie just shrugged as they began to walk.
The school day passed uneventfully for her, except for a sighting of her potential boyfriend, Parker Sampson. She went to Tech for Study Hall so she could work on drawing a barn using Photodraw. Her teacher, Mr. Puddersan, insisted that it be absolutely perfect. This took a lot of effort for Cassie because she was not a very good artist. After what seemed like an eternity to her, the bell rang. Cassie leaped out of her seat, ready to be the first one out the door and on their way towards the glorious weekend. Unfortunately, she got caught in the traffic jam on the way out and ended up last. She saw a floppy disk fall from someone’s backpack. She picked it up and called out, “Hey, you dropped your disk!” It was futile, for they were already too far away for Cassie to even see who it was.
When Cassie got home, she did her homework, watched some TV, and remembered the floppy disk. She became curious about what was on it and popped it into her computer. A face popped up.
“Hello,” it said in a clear voice. “Please enter your question.”
As a joke, Cassie entered in, “What will the winning lottery numbers be?”
The face typed back, “6, 10, 34, 25, 35.”
Cassie laughed, but called her dad and told him to buy a lottery ticket. Sure enough, they won.
“We won, we won, we won!” Cassie screamed, bouncing off the walls. That day at school, Cassie was treated like a celebrity. Parker even said hi to her. When she came home, she found her mother crying.
“What’s wrong, Mom?” Cassie asked.
Her mother looked up. “Oh, Cassie, your dad was killed in a car accident.”
All Cassie could do was stare. Then she burst into tears, ran upstairs, and slammed her door. She noticed that the face was still on her computer. She went over and asked it, “Why is my dad dead?”
The face answered her, much to Cassie’s surprise. “I cannot just give you things like winning lottery numbers. I must take things in return, like your father.
Cassie typed back, “But you can give me anything I want?”
“That is correct.”
An evil gleam came into Cassie’s eyes. “I can have anything I want? Then who cares if I lose a few friends and family members in the process!” Cassie ran out of the room with paper and pen to make a list of demands.
The face sighed. Why did they always have to be so selfish? It was going to have to leave Cassie like it left Calandra, who had wished for a matching jewelry set before realizing its full power and wishing to be ruler of the world. Luckily, the face couldn’t grant that big of a wish, so no one was killed. It still had to leave her for being selfish.
The next day after school, Cassie ran to her computer. She panicked when she couldn’t find the disk. Cassie tore her room apart trying to find it. She never did. Her mother protested at first, but after Cassie killed the family cat, she agreed to send her to a mental institution. Meanwhile, another person was finding the disk and popping it into their computer. What will happen to them?
© Copyright 2003 shorty30490 (shorty30490 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/672409-Floppy-Disk