*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/691508-It-Took-A-Lot-Of-Thinking
by Belvis
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Sci-fi · #691508
What if the human mind could control the internet? Inspired by "Wonderland"
(Begin Recording. H 12:23:41:9PM EST)


"Wake up."

"..."

"Wake up, Mr. Felding. The operation is over."

"Op... operation? Wha...?"

"You had Lou Gherig's disease, John. We had to have an operation to save you."

"But... wha... how?"

"We had a little help from the US military, John. They lent us some parts and a scientist. He's an expert in this field, you know."

"What field?"

"Bionics. You know what bionics are, John. We discussed it before the operation."

"I don't... I don't remember that..."

"It's expected, John. We had to remove some of your memory lobe to make the transfer."
"Transfer?"

"We had to transfer your brain."

"Into...?"

"Move your arm... that's right, it won't hurt."

"What the hell? It's... it's a machine! I have a screwdriver for an arm!"

"Don't be so crude. It's not a screwdriver. It has a computer port, though."

"What are you talking about? Computer port? I don't want to be a... a..."

"Cyborg."

"Cyborg? What the hell? What is this, some cheesy sci-fi short story?"

"It's very real, John. No, no, don't try to get up. Your brain has to adjust to the electrical signals. Or rather, your body has to adjust to your brain."

"My body?!"

"Yes. You have a new body now. It's the same height as your old one and we substituted some metal parts for plastic so it's almost the same weight. You won't have to worry about your weight anymore, John."

"Why? You mean... I can't eat?"

"You don't need to. You only need electricity."

"But... humans need food to survive!"

"You have it all wrong. Humans need energy to survive and food to convert into energy. Since your body has no tissue to support with energy, you only have to energize your body. And you do that with this adapter."

"What the hell are you talking about? I need a battery to survive? And what's this about... no tissue? Does that mean I don't have any flesh?"

"Yes and yes. If you don't keep up on your battery you will die, just like if you don't eat food you will die. And you don't have any flesh anymore, either. You don't need it."

"Oh my God... you're serious. I'm..."

"I am dead serious. You are the world's first cyborg, John. You have modified servos so you can move more quickly and faster than normal humans. you have a zoom lense in your optical sensors so you can have 20/1 vision at any point in time. We put your brain in a containter pumped with non-degradable gel so it is always hydrated and connected your neurotic connections to wires, just like your old body. Ah, yes, and you have no need to breathe."

"You're... right. I'm not breathing."

"As long as your brain canister is protected, you can go any and everywhere."

"But how did you... move... my brain?"

"It took a lot of thinking. We eventually figured out that the brain needs constant electrical signals and blood flow to... live. The human brain can survive without oxygen for about a minute without brain damage, so we just had to hook your brain up to a... fake body, so to speak, and fooled it into thinking it passed out because it wasn't breathing for about three seconds. And here you are. The brain needs blood for oxygen, so we filter dissolved oxygen through your brain gel constantly through an air filter. A computer program controls the breathing. Involuntary, just like old breathing."

"So... can I switch limbs or something like in the movies?"

"No. We would have to go back into your brain and find the specific neuron that controls the limb you wanted to replace and reconfigure the electrical signals. But if you had the money, which you don't, and the time we could concievably do it."

"But... what about children?"

"You are sterile, Mr. Felding, and you can't have sexual intercourse. But it's better than being dead and there was no way to recreate it. Philosophically speaking, you can't anyway."

"Oh."

"Fortunately, we cryogenically froze some of your sperm before the operaiton so if you had a wife who wanted to live with a cyborg you could have a child in vitro fertilization."

"But.. who would want to live with... a machine?"

"That is a question the world will have to ask itself, John. If the world can live with cyborgs, you have truly opened the door to a new era. We can explore space now without spacesuits. We can go to Mars. We can travel anywhere in the universe with people like you. Besides the fact that you are a virtually unstoppable super-soldier, especially if we do substitute one of your arms for, say, an assault rifle. The world has much to learn from a person like you, John."

"I'm not a person. I'm a machine."

"No you are not. You are a cyborg. By the way, you can now live virtually forever. Your body can't wear out. The worst that can happen is a screw coming loose. No pun intended."
"This isn't sounding as bad as I thought."

"You'd be surprised. You no longer have a bank account. We used every cent and then some in the operation. Luckily, you don't need to buy food."

"So... I'm just... here?"

"Heavens, no. The United States military and NASA are going to do tests on you every once in a while... you know, to see what you can... do. And you can't forget that you are now the world's biggest celebrity."

"What do you mean?"

"You are the world's first cyborg. We've met some very strong opposition in creating you- political, economical... even some religious figures don't think a human should be given the chance to live forever."

"I can't live forever, though. Right?"

"Technically, no. But you will live a lot longer than any human ever will. You are really a new race, Mr. Felding. A machine, but with a human mind. The robot with a sense of identity. Unlike robots, however, you are a person at heart. You were not created with a specific purpose in mind. You have free will. And you now have the power to do whatever you want with it, no matter how long it takes. We hope to see a lot more cyborgs in the future. Now sit back and relax, John. You have to give your brain time to adjust to your body. We'll do excersizes when you wake up."



(End Recording)



(Excerpt from the New York Times, January 12, 2052 page A-1)

LEGION EX MACHINA: How will the world react to mankind's first cyborg?
(Wickford, Rhode Island)

G-Knome Industries announced yesterday that they had produced the world's first cyborg. The cyborg body, developed by NASA and Microsoft engineers, is the housing of the brain of John T. Felding, the former CEO of Intel/Macintosh Systems Inc. Felding, a multibillionare known throughout the corporal world as a power-hungry, aggressive businessman, had suffered from chronic Lou Gherig's disease for most of his career, but continued to operate Intel/Macintosh until the loss of his lower body forced him to resign from the position late June 2051. He continued to deteriorate until November 2051, when G-Knome offered him an alternative.
"We basically came in and said 'We can cure you', and he said to go ahead with the whole thing," said G-Knome scientist Aesop Hart, the designer of the cyborg. "Mr. Felding listened halfway through the pitch and handed over the bank account numbers."
Not only was Mr. Felding's former company willing to donate to the operation, but NASA, Microsoft, Jewling Enterprises, and Congress invested a combined total of $13 billion dollars in Felding. Says congressman William Hertz (R, Nevada): "The United States government believes the advancement of human-enhancing sciences is a worthwhile investment. It was a bi-partisian desicion."
"We were thrilled to have so much support," Hart said, "If it were not for the generous donations given to us Mr. Felding would not be alive today."
The operation was undergone on January 3. "The tough part was the brain," said head surgeon Michael Xiang. According to G-Knome representatives, an estimated $200 million dollars was spent on the five minutes alone it took to transfer Felding's brain into the mechanical frame. "It took about 17 hours to successfully transfer and connect Mr. Felding's brain to his frame," said Hart.
The frame, which cost an estimated four billion dollars in money and 5.7 million dollars in the designing process, has been specially designed with enhanced limbs and body parts, essentially making Felding a super-human. "Our donors have big hopes for Mr. Felding," said Hart. Indeed they do. NASA and similar space agencies around the world have already lined up appointments and tests for Felding's new body to see how far it could go in space travel. "This is incredibly big news in the astronautical field," said NASA chairman Bob Tykes, "If Mr. Felding's body is what G-Knome says it is, it could mean a new way of thinking about how to travel into space." The US Military also has high expectations. Says General Moore: "We are dealing with a new kind of soldier. If cyborgs can be built en masse and transported into battle, they could easily turn the tide of any battle." Government officials have already ordered G-Knome to conceal the design specifications for Felding's frame and are taking steps to prevent cyborgs from falling into terrorist hands. "It's a big worry in the Pentagon. If some rogue terrorist network began producing cyborgs, they could very well take a small country hostage," said Moore.
Felding's frame also includes a computer port, which allows him to operate computers liberally. "It's like having another muscle," said Hart, "You can bend your arm. I can lift my leg. Mr. Felding can surf the internet. As long as Mr. Felding can transfer his electrical brain signals to the computer, it's like having another body part." For this reason internet security specialists are hoping to produce web-surfing cyborg policemen to catch hackers and make web sites more secure. The US Military, however, does not share the excitement. "Who knows how much a cyborg can control on the internet? If a rogue cyborg stormed an urban town, he could very well hold the entire country hostage." Other opposers to the operation fear the character of Felding, who they say could be a dangerous man if given powers above his own. Despite the opposition, G-Knome continues to improve on cyborg connectivity, and is even beginning to make another cyborg. "We're hoping we can advance the technology even further by the end of the year," said Hart.
This in mind, we must as humans ask ourselves a question: Can we allow cyborgs in our midst? The world may never know.
-Copyright 2052

(End Excerpt)



"Just a little further, Mr. Felding. You can do it."
"Walking is not supposed to be this hard."
"We talked about this earlier. Your body is not yet fully adjusted to your brain. In a few weeks you'll be running literally a mile a minute. Try swinging your arms as you're walking. That's it."
"It's so... hard."
"Your body will adjust. It just needs time to learn how to multitask again."
"That's far enough. I'm so tired..."
"Hmm... that's enough for today. We'll try for 100 feet for tomorrow."
"100 feet?! I barely walked 20 today!"
"By this time tomorrow you will be able to walk 100 feet, I assure you. It's projected."
"Aren't you going to recharge my battery?"
"No. Not yet. I want you to try something, John."
"..."
"Tony, bring in the computer interface."
"Computer?"
"Why don't we test your computer jack, John."
"But... my battery.... I'm so... tired."
"We'll hook you up to a constant DC output plug. You'll be fine. You just can't walk beyond 10 feet of the plug."
"I guess. Now how do I jack into this thing?"
"See that APJ on your right wrist?"
"The All-Purpose Jack? How do I get that into the port?"
"Think about extending it."
"... incredible."
"Now jack in, John."
"..."
"Feel anything?"
"No."
"Do you want to open the word processor?"
"No."
"Well, now you do. Think about opening the word processor, like bending your finger."
"..."
"Oh, my God."
"..."
"It... it works... Tony! Get Dimension Networks on the phone! Oh my, God..."
"Can I open up Paint?"
"Do whatever you want."
"Hmmm... can I... go on the internet?"
"Well..."

It was like a rush, like a river hitting John. He could feel the information flowing through him, see all of it in his mind, calling bits and pieces up in his head like examining playing cards. He was flowing, flowing through the endless internet like a fish through an endless, bubbling stream of data. He called up a website. It came as easily as blinking. Amazing. He called up another. "Hmmm... a password..." John cracked it. He slipped through the security wall and saw the password, read the profile. He traced it, like lifting his arm, went through the internet and-
Stop.
It was like hitting a glass wall. He couldn't get in, but he knew why. The other computer was not connected to the internet. Data rushed up to the break, changed direction. John went back into the internet, found another password. Cracked it, slipped through the firewall, and flowed into the computer, this one connected to the internet. He twiddled with the files, pulled them in and out of the internet, creating FTPs, reaching out and pulling the files into the internet, then downloading them, pulling them back out into the computer, destroying the FTPs, all in one fluid movement. It was like tugging on a rope. Amazing. John coud feel the flow, and instantly knew that he was given incredible potential power through this new force. John tried simple commands, deleted several folders. Incredible power. Power that could change the world... Wait, there was a pulling sensation. Something was tugging him back into the internet. John clung to the computer, pulled up the firewall, but the pull was stronger and stronger. What the hell. John released his grasp on the computer, felt himself sliding, racing, back, back... back... back...

"..."
"John..."
"Yes?"
"John, what did you see?"
"..."
"..."
"Dr. Hart?"
"Yes, John?"
"What happened?"
"You were in the internet, John. We had to disconnect you to make sure you didn't lose yourself in the internet once you got in. It's a big place, John."
"..."
"What's bothering you, John?"
"How long was I in there?"
"Oh, probably about a half-a-second. You went in, I reached up and pulled the plug."
"..."
"..."
"Oh my God..."


(Begin Recording... no further information)

"Testing, testing, one-two-three."
"Cut it out, Aesop. How did the computer interface test go?"
"Extremely well. Better than we expected."
"Were you able to trace his path?"
"Barely. He slipped through at least seven different firewalls, passwords, and proxies without even lifting a finger. It took Eileen three hours to get a trail."
"How long was he in?"
"Less than a second."
"Oh, my God... do you know what this means, Aesop?"
"The tests were positive. He extended his neural signals into the computer, through the internet, and into another computer before he could blink."
"Faster than we expected."
"The interface was well-designed."
"Aesop, don't let him on the internet until further intstructions. We don't know what he could do in there. Oh, yes, Aesop?"
"Yes?"
"We did it."

(End Recording)

(Begin excerpt from the New York Times, January 30, 2052, page A-1)

NEWS SHORT: Cyborg, go home!
G-Knome Incorporated has officially released John Felding, the world's first cyborg, from their care. Press representatives announced his departure from their headquarters in Rhode Island at 2:00 PM yesterday and report that he will retire in Harbury, North Carolina, for the remainder of 2052, after which he will undergo rigorous testing at various institutes and laboratories from 2053-2055. He will reside in a mansion in North Carolina, courtesy of various donors. The mansion, locals say, is a "technological mountain" located deep in Harbury forests. "Mr. Felding likes his privacy," said a G-Knome representative.

(End excerpt)

(Begin computer log, January 17, 2052)

Login<<(?username= indy500)
Password<<(?password= atr210)
"Logging in..."
+test<?username>
+test<?password>
+scan
//connected to LAN.indy500
"Welcome, <?username>!"
+(My Computer)
+(C:Program FilesInternet Explorerexplorer.exe)
"Connecting..."
+connect dns.http:\www.ttp.com/
//connected to http:\www.ttp.com/
"[Mail]
[Stocks]
[My Profile]"
+[Mail]
begin<<transfer
(transfer cancelled)
begin<<transfer
(transfer cancelled)
=setup:
{
+proxy (223.http)
+firewall.internet
}
begin<<transfer
(transfer cancelled)
begin<<transfer
=setup:
{
+firewall.internet
+proxy (224.http)
+proxy (256.http)
}

=disable (firewall.internet)
=disable (proxy 224)
=disable (proxy 256)
=decrypt (firewall.internet)
=Close Program (sys.dll)
=Close Program (webpolice.exe)
=Close Program (explorer.exe)
begin<<transfer
//connecting...
"Transfer complete!"
=Format (Drive C:)
"Format Drive? Warning: This action cannot be undone."
+format<<(C:)
"Formatting Drive <?drive>..."
"Format complete!"
=shutdown

(End log)

(Begin Excerpt from "Power Computing", February 2052)

News Short- Feb 2052
WEB GHOST: Who is "Phantom Hakr?"

The newest, most puzzling mystery in the internet life today is the case of "Phantom Hakr", the most dangerous character on the web today. Computer users connected to the internet report commands being run involving random files transfers, program shutdowns and executions, and deletions. Reports say that the Hakr program is able to bypass firewalls, proxies, and every anti-hacker program manufactured and shuts them down before the commands.
"We don't even know if this is a hacker, virus, a prorgam, or what. We can barely keep up with him... it," says computer crime expert Antonio Debucci. Since Hakr deletes the computer use logs after every "strike", programming gurus have to dissect the computer's 200 or so other logs (including internet logs, which are usually untouched by Hakr) and piece together the event. "It's like a really annoying jigsaw puzzle."
Strikes, now so common they are called "Haks", have raided the bank accounts of major corporations like E-Bay Ltd, stolen source codes and undisclosed beta programs from computer giants like Microsoft, and wiped files clean from tens of thousands of internet users around the world. Internet detectives like Debucci are still trying to find out how Hakr operates and how to stop its reign of terror on the internet world. Until then, Debucci says, "Just pray it doesn't hit you."

(End excerpt)

(Begin Recording: Februray 27, 2052, 3:08:27:52 PM EST- Location: G-Knome Laboratory, Harbury Division)

"We're in."
"Bring up the computer logs."
"..."
"What is it?"
"There's a password... there's not supposed to be a password..."
"What?! Can you crack it?"
"Hold on..."
"... my, God..."
"1,980-bit encryption..."
"Is that possible?"
"It is now. Who encrypted this?"
"I don't know, but I'd like to shake his hand."
"Somebody didn't want us to see these logs."
"You know what they say: 'Mr. Felding likes his privacy'. He doesn't even know we're monitoring him."
"How long will it take to decrypt?"
"At current rate? About two hours."
"Do it. We have to see that log."
"If you say so. I'm just worried that we might leave something behind in the network logs."
"Logs, logs, logs. So worried about logs and we don't ask the lumberjack."
"We can't ask John. Do you really think he'll agree to decrypt his own files? So we can take a look?"
"I know, I'm just complaining."
"It's decrypting."
"We need someone to monitor it."
"I'll set it on sleep mode. It'll be done by the end of the work day. Come on, we have to set up a couple more firewalls on the LAN. Wouldn't want Phantom Hakr to show up."
"You know that firewalls won't do any good."
"I know. It makes me feel better. We'd better-"
"What is it?"
"We're being recorded."
"What... cut off the tape!"

(End recording)

(Excerpt from instant message between ghost@blank and AesopHart@Gknome.com)

ghost: Good morning, Aesop.
AesopHart: what? who are you?
ghost: That doesn't matter.
AesopHart: what the hell?
ghost: I'm here to thank you.
AesopHart: thank me? for what?
ghost: For giving me the power.
AesopHart: what?
ghost: I'm bypassing all 27 of your firewalls right now.
AesopHart: oh my god youre him
ghost: Who?
AesopHart: youre phantom hakr
ghost: Lucky guess.
AesopHart: Why are you doing this to me?
ghost: Frankly, I do this because I can.
AesopHart: youre a person
ghost: Well, I'm much more intelligent than a computer virus if that's what you mean.
AesopHart: theyll catch you. you cant hide forever
ghost: They'll never catch me. I'm smarter than you think.
AesopHart: how do you do it
ghost: You know how I do it.
AesopHart: no human hacker can do what you can
ghost: And what if the hacker is not human?
AesopHart: what the hell? not human? what on earth do you mean?
ghost: I'm on the last firewall, Aesop.
AesopHart: please tell me
ghost: Let's just say I know the internet like the back of my hand. The whole hand, really.
AesopHart: what the hell
ghost: Come on, Aesop! Don't you remember me? You showed me the ropes. You showed me how to do it. You gave me the power. So now I'm thanking you.
AesopHart: felding
ghost: Another lucky guess. You're good at 20 Questions, aren't you, Aesop?
AesopHart: john dont do this
ghost: Why not? The internet is mine for the taking. The world is my apple, and I sure as hell am going to take a great big bite out of it.
AesopHart: john please dont wipe this computer it has all gknome's schematics and budgets on it
ghost: Fine. I'll copy your computer and put it on mine. Don't worry, I won't sell it to other companies. Your secrets are safe with me. I promise.
AesopHart: then what are you going to do to this computer
ghost: Quite simple, really. I won't do anything to your computer.
AesopHart: then why are you talking to me
ghost: Because in a few moments I'm going to kill you.
AesopHart: john please dont do this
ghost: it will be relatviely quick. ill just slip into Norad's supercomputer mainframe and launch an ICBM missile. They're very quick, you know.
AesopHart: why
ghost: Because I can. That's all. Besides, I can't let anyone know what I do in my spare time on the computer.
AesopHart: too late ive already emailed the FBI with the information
ghost: Oh no you didn't. Those e-mail messages are very easy to catch. I stored them away in your computer.
AesopHart: john please
ghost: Goodbye, John. Thank you for the wonderful conversation. And remember, no telling!
AesopHart: john ill give you anything the company, money, anything please
ghost: Goodnight, John.

(End excerpt)

(Excerpt from the National Weekly, February 28, 2052, page 31)

GOVERNMENT FALLACY DESTROYS COMPANY HEADQUARTERS

An ICBM missile destroyed the G-Knome Corporation Nevada division headquarters yesterday in a baffling mixup. An estimated 28 are dead and 72 left wounded from the strike, which government officials say is an act of terrorism. Among the dead is head scientist Aesop Hart, who designed and created the world's first cyborg, John T. Felding.
"We don't know who launched it, how they got in, or how they launched the missile, but we will find out. Our deepest condolances go out to the families of the victims," says Military Officer Tom Hatcher, "We don't know who ordered the strike, but it was definitely not any military authority. The incident has been heavily investigated and it is confirmed that the strike was ordered by an outside force." Top-ranking officials and internet crime experts believe it was the work of an experienced hacker, though the agenda is not clear. The number-one suspect? Phantom Hakr, the notorious internet criminal who has hacked into thousands of computers, wiping them clean before his escape into the internet. Hakr remains unidentified.
Military officials also suspect corporational terrorism and the Asian Yakuza mob, who has been at the center of recent Japanese computer crimes and related incidents.
"Americans can rest assured that we will get to the bottom of the incident as soon as possible and offer our deepest grievances to the families of the victims. This crime will not escape the justice of the United States of America."

(End excerpt)

(Begin recording. Time unknown. Location Unknown.)

"We have to stop him."
"But how? He can launch a missile now, Tim! We're not just dealing with John Felding. We're dealing with Phantom Hakr now. Who knows what he's capable of."
"He killed Aesop."
"He'll kill us too if he finds out we cracked his computer logs!"
"I just can't believe he's so capable. Aesop never expected this."
"His track record goes for a mile... thousands of computers, thousands, Tim! Not only that, he can hack Norad! This is insane. We have to tell someone."
"He'll find out. We have to trap him somehow. But how?"
"..."
"..."
"I've got it."
"What?"
"We have to hack Norad and launch another missile. At Felding Manor."
"It's impossible. They've probably sealed that thing off with a million bits of encryption now that somebody got in."
"Can you think of something better?"
"Call the FBI."
"He'll just launch a nuke or something. John can take over the world now, haven't you figured that out yet?"
"But why? He doesn't need money, he can live forever, he's the most powerful hacker the world has ever known!"
"... I have a plan. Shut off the tape."

(End recording)

(Begin recording, March 14, 2052, 1:02:31:44 AM, FBI Headquarters Washington D.C.)

"Tap this, Jim. Nobody calls at one in the morning."
"Hello?"
"FBI Headquarters, Detective Roe speaking. How may I help you?"
"I have Phantom Hakr."
"What?! Who is this?"
"I can't tell you for fear of my life. Do you have a couple mintues? It might take a while to explain. By the way, the ICBM Norad strike? That was Phantom Hakr's doing."
"I'm listening."
"I can't continue unless you assure me that you are not tapping this call. It may be tracked back to me. It's a life-or-death issue."
"Jim, cut the tape."

(End recording)

(Begin radio recording WTRR 450 AM, Harbury North Carolina, 4:12:03:34 PM)

"Matt Peso here with breaking news from the mysterious Felding Manor where a desperate shoot-out is happening. Tina Lewis is on-site with live coverage. Tina?"

"Matt, I'm here with FBI Agent Mark Dutchen. Mark, what's going on here?"
"Um, it's a long story, ma'am, but the FBI has discovered the identity of Phantom Hakr: John T. Felding. Apparently, Mr. Felding's specially designed computer abilities allow him to maniuplate the internet and control computers over the internet connection. By the way, saying that, for anyone listening, if you are online and your computer starts doing things you didn't tell it to, immediately disconnect from the internet."
"Er... Okay, Agent Dutchen, thank you for that... in-depth report. What is the situation at Felding Manor now?"
"Well, it seems that SWAT teams have infiltrated the manor, but are trying to avoid its security system network of computer-controlled machine guns and gas nozzles. We are trying to disable the computer program as we speak."
"Can you tell us more about Phantom Hakr, Agent Dutchen?"
"Well, I can't tell you much, but as you know we have dealt with unnaturally talented hackers before in the Tweedledee and Tweedledum Chip Incidents. Mr. Felding is much more dangerous, as we have seen in the ICBM Norad missile strike."
"Is there any proof of Mr. Felding's intentions for his actions?"
"We have no idea. But- oh, my God!"

***

"Tina? Tina?! Ron, what the hell happened?"
"We, uh, seem to have lost connection with Tina, Matt."
"Get that connection back up! Somebody get information on what... oh my God... um... we have reports in that an ICBM missile... oh my God... and ICBM missile has hit Felding Manor. Julie! Julie! Follow up on this! I want to know why that missile hit!"
"Matt... we're still on-air..."
"Erm... we'll be, uh, right back with more information after this break. Stay tuned to, uh, WTRR 450 AM for, uh, breaking news coverage on the... Ron!"
"On the Felding Hakr Crisis. We'll be right back."

(End recording)

(Begin excerpt from the Harbury Daily Bulletin, March 16, 2052, page A-1)

FELDING-HAKR CRISIS ROCKS AMERICA

A long-unsolved mystery has finally been solved. The seemingly unrelated incidents involving Phantom Hakr, the elusive internet crime wizard, ICBM Norad missile strike and the disappearance of John T. Felding, the world's first cyborg have connected in a single confrontation with an incredible twist not even the most talented science fiction writer could conjure.
According to the FBI, an unidentified source contacted the FBI on March 14 at one o'clock in the morning. "We were really confused until they said 'I have Phantom Hakr'. It was all one big snowball from there," says senior FBI Agent Harper Roe. Apparently, the cyborg John T. Felding, who was outfitted with a superhuman mechanical body in January 2052 to save him from Lou Gherig's disease, was also outfitted with a computer port that allowed him to connect into a computer. "Not just to a computer, into a computer," said G-Knome technology expert Tim Knox, "Using special electrical signals that were connected to his brain, Mr. Felding was able to control the computer and the internet like a muscle. It took a lot of thinking, but we eventually figured out that this allowed Felding to bypass any computer security he wanted to and leave without a trace. That's how he managed to decode Norad's computer systems, which are the best in the world, and order an ICBM missile strike on G-Knome's headquarters. Apparently, he was able to do it again, even with added security measures from Norad."
Indeed, Mr. Felding was finally discovered yesterday by FBI Agents and confronted at Felding Manor in the late afternoon. However, after a vicious defense of the perimeter, Felding seemed to give up hope and ordered another ICBM missile to strike Felding Manors. Unfortunately, the Manor was completely destroyed in the attack, leaving no evidence and killing fourteen SWAT team members in the suicide strike.
"As far as we know, this could be a good thing," said Knox said hopefully of the attack, "All of G-Knome's cyborg schematics were destroyed during the strike. Phantom Hakr has finally been stopped, and now, sadly, since Mr. Hart is dead, it is very likely that a cyborg will not be produced in a long while." Until then, the world will nurse its technological wounds, including an almost 2 billion gigabytes of memory lost and millions of dollars in corporal damages, and US officials and scientists are preparing guidelines and regulations in case cyborgs are created again in the future. Rule number one? No computer jacks, say government officials. "Cyborgs have immense potential in advancing the human race. Let's just make sure that if mankind does decide to make cyborgs, we will make sure this never happens again," said Knox. Let's hope so, for mankind's sake.
-Copyright 2052, the Harbury Daily Bulletin. All rights reserved.

(End excerpt)

(Begin log of instant message conversation between Knoxville@gknome.com and ghost@blank, July 2, 2053)

ghost: Hello Tim.
Knoxville: who is this?
ghost: You know who it is, Tim.
Knoxville: no, i dont
ghost: You beat me, Tim.
Knoxville: who is this?!
ghost: I'm sorry about Aesop.
Knoxville: who are you
ghost: Maybe you remember my name.
Knoxville: ive never heard of you
ghost: Do you remember anyone by the name of John T. Felding?
Knoxville: youre supposed to be dead
ghost: On the contrary. I'm very much alive, Tim.
Knoxville: how did you g
ghost: I know everything. You called the FBI and created a diversion. You hacked Norad and launched an ICBM missile. It was perfect. Only Phantom Hakr is able to hack into Norad and perform such a task. He has done it before, hasn't he? Why couldn't he do it when he was about to be caught?
Knoxville: how do you know
ghost: It looked like a desperate suicide attempt, an attempt to destroy the evidence, to regain pride by going out with a bang. It was a very big bang, by the way. Very clever, Tim.
Knoxville: but youre alive
ghost: You could say that.
Knoxville: how
ghost: Remember how I became Phantom Hakr in the first place? It was easy. Instead of cutting off the internet connection when I was in the web and being stuck in my body, I cut off the connection to my body, and, well... here I am. I'm stuck in the internet now, so to speak.
Knoxville: impossible you need energy to survive you need water you need oxygen you need to li
ghost: No I don't. I simply transferred my electrical neuronic patterns into the internet. Incredible, really. It was a perfect fit. Aesop was a real genius to synchronize the neural computer connections with the computer patterns. It makes me want to bring him back to life.
Knoxville: john dont do anything else please
ghost: No, Tim. You're right. I'll never harm anyone again.
Knoxville: but why did you do it in the first place
ghost: I wanted control, Tim. I wanted to have control of the most powerful force on Earth my entire life. That drive is what made me such a good businessman. When Aesop showed me how to move through the internet like that, I knew that it was the most powerful thin man could harness, so I went out to harness it. But no matter how hard I tried, no matter how many computers I hacked into and controlled, no matter what I did I never felt that I could completely control the internet. So I tried to use it as my tool to take over humanity, bit by bit. First I tried destroying their technology, but it never had serious impact. There are just too many computers, too many connections and new ones popping up every day. So I started taking over the world, starting off by killing Aesop. I felt that it was a big step, destroying the only man who ever had real control over me simply because he created me. And I did it with a missile. Had you not stopped me, I would have taken control of the world's nuclear arsenal and held them hostage. Ruled the world from my little computer jack in my little cyborg frame. But then you came along and devised a plan that trapped me. Check and mate, Tim. I concede.
Knoxville: so why dont you want to control the world anymore. you cant be destroyed.
ghost: I don't want to control the world anymore, Tim. I already control the world's most powerful force.
Knoxville: i thought you said you couldnt control the internet
ghost: You miss the point, Tim. I AM the internet. I sincerely give you best wishes and wish you a long and happy life. But don't tell anybody, Tim. I don't want them to worry. I solemnly swear that I will never harm a human life again. Goodbye, Tim, and good luck with your proposal to Jen tonight. Don't worry about it. I think she really likes you. She writes about you every night in her diary.
Knoxville: wait tim how did you know about the proposal

-user: "ghost" is not signed on.

(End excerpt)
© Copyright 2003 Belvis (elkano788 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/691508-It-Took-A-Lot-Of-Thinking