*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/697098-Why-A-Solitary-Witch
by Archie
Rated: E · Essay · Religious · #697098
Why I chose the "Solitary Path" as a Pagan.
As a child, I was always happiest when I was playing alone and was actually thrilled to be left alone with a book. In school, my fondest memories are of working alone on a subject other than what the rest of the class was working on. As I grew older and into high school and college, it was the independent work, the labs, the studying alone rather than as part of a study group that appealed to me.

My current job is completely separate from any co-workers, and it is the best job I have ever had, not the best paying, just the best, so you see my entire upbringing and career have been solitary. Why not my religion?

There are, of course, advantages to being part of a coven. One shares information, one is constantly corrected if off course, and I mean not by criticism, but by observation and friendly comments. Bouncing ideas off each other is a great way to grow spiritually, and to learn more about the gods and goddesses, spell work and yourself.

As a Solitary Witch, I am one to go off on tangents, eventually returning to the root question, but in doing so I traverse much new territory. In this manner, I feel I actually learn more, although not as efficiently.

As a Solitary Witch, I feel less obligated to keep to a particular ritual; I can try new things without consulting others. There is never a vote to decide what to do or what not to do. This can be both good and bad. There is also little animosity within the coven if you are a practicing solitaire!

As a solitaire, my rituals are less formal, and can be set up in moments with little concern about other participants. Ritual has always been kind of loose in my mind anyhow, and there is less need to worry about what the outcome may be. The energy, although not as great as that of a close-knit coven, is pure and direct; it is focused from a single source to a single goal, a task often difficult when working with a group.

Now don't get me wrong. Gatherings, faires and get-togethers are fun and learning experiences. Those are the times for interaction, sharing knowledge and socializing. That is also a time to re-evaluate the solitary position I hold by observing others as they work together. Each time I evaluate my solitude, I remain a Solitary Witch. This is not a reflection on Coven Witches, but on myself.

Most of all, however, I really enjoy being alone. I am happily married, have a few very good friends and many good acquaintances, not to mention a heard of cats. Still, I thoroughly enjoy my own company, particularly outside, at a campsite, away from the crowd.

Most of all, I really enjoy being alone.

Copyright © 2001 by Archie R. Whitehill
© Copyright 2003 Archie (archiew at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/697098-Why-A-Solitary-Witch