*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/698655-Fellinis
by Archie
Rated: E · Critique · Food/Cooking · #698655
Fellini's is a long-time citizen of Norfolk's restaurant community.
Fellini's Restaurant
3910 Colley Avenue
Norfolk, VA 23508

Phone 757-625-3000
============================================================


I have neglected Fellini's for too long. It is a familiar culinary friend a mere block or two from me, and I have waited too long to give it a review.

Last night my wife and I, along with three friends, went there for dinner after a particularly grueling day for most of us (not me, I spent the day in relaxation and writing). We were lucky to get a table for five, since it appeared to be prom night for a few area schools and we shared the restaurant with a number of well-dressed, beautiful and handsome teens. Seated we were, however, and fed we were.

Fellini's serves what I consider to be the best of what I like to call "Yuppie Pizzas." You know, the small, thinly crusted pizzas with interesting combinations of toppings, such as the one I ordered, Thai chicken pizza. They also serve the largest, freshest salads in the area, honestly. There have been times I ordered both a salad and a burger and could not complete the meal.

Soups at Fellini's are also delicious, last night's special was tomato basil, and I really wish I had ordered it, because Fellini's makes delicious Tomato Basil Soup. I've had it before. I also didn't order the clams casino, as much as I have enjoyed those in the past, nor did I order their delicious calamari, which comes with a "just rightly spiced" marinara sauce, which is a fantastic partner to the calamari.

What I did order last night was a salad with creamy garlic dressing, a Thai chicken pizza, and beverages, water and Coca Cola. Should you choose to indulge, Fellini's has a well stocked bar with a nice choice of beers and wines as well as creative mixed beverages.

One of my friends ordered baked ziti, which he said was good, and certainly was generously served; he took some home with him. My wife ordered another of the "Yuppie Pizzas," officially called "Gourmet Pizzas" by Fellini's. She ordered a Greek pizza, which had olives, garlic, spinach, feta cheese, and some delicious-smelling and tasting herbs and spices on it. The other couple with us ordered a fresh salad, which they were not able to finish, and they both worked on it. Truthfully, I do not remember what else they had, since I was too busy enjoying my meal to worry about theirs. I know, a restaurant reviewer should pay more attention, but there were five of us.

None of us opted for dessert, but, had we done so, the choices were many and mostly sinfully caloric. There is a dessert at Fellini's for almost everyone, including the double-chocolate "dare you to eat me" fudge specialties, to pies, to ice cream, to the simpler things such as carrot cake, and, of course, a nice selection of cheesecakes.

The fresh smell of the foods being prepared in the open kitchen to the rear of Fellini's adds to both the ambience and the delightfulness of the restaurant. The decor reminds me of a modern version of the old taverns you see from the 18th and 19th Centuries. There are tables, booths, and one small, isolated booth that would be a perfect place for an almost private, romantic evening. Perhaps the location to "Pop the Question."

The service at Fellini's is not usually the best, although it is usually adequate. Having so many prom goers there last night did nothing to enhance our service, but, again, it was adequate, but nothing near stellar as I have seen and experienced in other area restaurants.

Fellini's is popular; it is usually crowded, and it is almost always loud. People go there to enjoy a good meal as well as to have a good time with friends. If you are in Norfolk and want to get a great meal for a reasonable price, Fellini's is a definite choice.
© Copyright 2003 Archie (archiew at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/698655-Fellinis