*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/706260-The-Tenths-Miracle---4-6-
Rated: ASR · Fiction · Romance/Love · #706260
Stripped bare from all that he held dear, he found himself in a nightmare...
" He needed a miracle, he needed one so badly; the irony was that he did not believe in myths."

         
Welcome Readers, to this tale of grief and misery, woven out from the core of a Bible story. The journey begins with a man trying repeatedly to forget his soulmate, while she, strove to remember him. Both were in anguish, torment and hurt, knowing that only a miracle could restore them together.

         In the previous Chapters...

In another era, a man had just married a woman he loved only to discover that he had a deadly disease; leprosy.
He was the tenth leper in the Bible.

In the night, utterly devastated, he was forced to make the most painful decision ever, he was forced to accept his fate - he had to leave. It was the hardest thing he ever had to do~
And so it came to pass, the next morning, his young wife woke up to find the bed empty...


~Chapter 4~

          Deliah hurried after her childhood friend and was concerned to see his shoulders shaking. “ Jeuel, are you upset about what I did earlier?” She bit her lips nervously, “ After all, I did get the Chief’s permission, didn’t I?”
          She put her hand on Jeuel’s broad shoulders and was all the more disturbed when he brushed it away.
          “ Jeuel?” Deliah inquired softly, almost worried.
          She almost jumped out of her skin when he let out a shout of laughter. To her consternation, she realised that Jeuel was just shaking with the effort to control his laughter.
          “ What was so funny?” she asked, just a tinge annoyed.
          Jeuel shook his dark head in mirth, “ Dear Deliah, you never cease to amaze me. Honestly, you really showed the whole village what you thought back there.”
          He grinned boyishly, and then sobered instantly. “ Deliah, we will make the journey as far as possible. But promise me, if we can’t find him within two days, we must return.”
          Deliah looked away and said quietly, “ We will find him.”
          Jeuel sighed.

* * *

          “Sister Deliah!” Nashra smiled radiantly, in delight at her visitor.
          Deliah had decided to visit Sister Nashra before she leave. And she was glad that she did. The visit was the only thing that beamed a ray of hope through her ordeal. Deliah noted with pleasure the colour in Nashra’s cheek, pleased to see that her friend was on the way to recovery. Nashra had stopped coughing this past few days and in fact, even managed to sit up once in a while.
          Deliah knew in her heart that her prayer to the unknown God had something to do with Nashra’s recovery. She raised her eyes and said a little prayer of thanks.
          Then she noticed that Nashra was looking at her curiously.
          “ Deliah, somehow, I recall you doing before what you did earlier. What is it all about?”
          Deliah took a deep breath and got ready to share her newfound faith with her friend.“ Nashra, I sought God’s help the night you were on death’s door. You must know that it was because of him that you are now well.”
          Deliah paused, watching her friend in rapt attention, afraid that Nashra would not believe her, or worse still, mock her. After all, it was unheard of to believe in a God in this village.
          Nashra nodded slowly and looked at Deliah with earnest eyes, “ I felt God too; on the night that I was ill. I didn’t know that it was him, but now I know.”

* * *

          Deliah knelt down on the floor of her little hut as she touched her heart and closed her eyes. It was the second time she attempted to pray. Slowly and haltingly, the young woman began her journey on faith.
          “ God, I’m sorry, I don’t even know your name. This is the second time I’m speaking to you. It’s as if I’m speaking to a stranger,” she paused uncomfortably.
          Then something strange happened. It was as if there was someone in her home. Deliah opened her eyes and saw an empty room. She shook her head and closed her eyes again, sighing as a strange warmth enveloped her and embraced her. She continued her prayer with more ease this time.
          “ I want to thank you again for Sister Nashra’s recovery. At the same time, I would like to request for your help. If you are indeed true and living, then, please protect my husband from harm. Keep him alive. I want to see him again. Thank you.” Deliah ended her prayer in the barest tone of whisper.
          She looked up to the straw ceiling and breathed in shakily. She had thought she felt a presence in the room. Slowly, she rose to her feet and went out to join Jeuel, who had been waiting for her.

* * *

          “ I’ve brought some bags of food and clothes. They should last us for about three to four days.” Jeuel looked at Deliah when he said that, waiting for her reaction.
          “ Oh, that should be more than enough,” Deliah said lightly, smiling up at him.
          Jeuel observed the woman beside him with a pang of regret and sadness. His dark eyes flickered over Deliah and a memory came over him; the impact so intense that he had to turn away for fear that Deliah read into his soul.
          He remembered playing and growing together with Deliah. She was the most beguiling village girl he had ever laid eyes on. And unpredictable. With those big compassionate eyes, she fooled almost everyone into thinking that she was a typical conservative girl. One could never guess that she was actually a wild cat in disguise.
          Jeuel hid a sudden smile, and then the pain attacked him again. When he was fourteen years old, he had actually asked her to marry him. Deliah had laughed, thinking he was jesting. She was only eleven at that time. Then, at the age of nineteen, he was called away by Chief Chileab along with a few other promising boys. Together, they trained for three years, during which he constantly longed for his childhood friend, missing her terribly. When he finally returned to the village, having won the title of Village Chief Hunter, his heart had stopped when he saw how his playmate had blossomed into a beautiful young lady. Deliah was all that he had ever wanted in a woman.
          Then the world crashed down when Deliah shyly announced to him that she had fallen in love with the new doctor in the village. His name was Zamon. Jeuel used to be the much sought after by women before Zamon came into the picture. He winced at the hurt he had endured when Deliah went after Zamon. He had waited for her. He had thought that it was an infatuation at that time and had waited for it to die off. What he did not count on was Zamon falling for her too.
          Jeuel had waited in vain. Deliah and Zamon were married two years later. He attended their wedding and gave the couple his blessings, never hinting to Deliah of his love for her.
          “ Jeuel, are you alright?” Deliah’s voice broke through his reverie.
          Jeuel nodded tightly, a muscle twitching in his jaw. Deliah looked at him inquisitively, wondering at her normally jovial friend, and then let it go, although still baffled at his behavior.
          Slowly, they made their way out of the village and was plunged into the middle of a dark forest. Jeuel guided her as the trekked along a well-trodden path. Deliah tried to hid her bewilderment at how different the world was outside her little village. It was the first time she had venture out of her own world. Feeling a little lost, she held onto Jeuel tightly, ignoring the amused glance he shot at her.
          Hours had passed by the time they emerged from the forest. Shadows of the sunrays greeted them. It was going to be nightfall. Jeuel scanned the area expertly, motioning Deliah to a dry ground. Then he put threw down his load, crouching to make a fire using the sticks he had taken from the forest.
          “ We will sleep here for the night,” Jeuel looked at her.
          “ Sure.” Transfixed, Deliah gazed into the flames leaping from the fire.


~Chapter 5~

          Banual kept gazing out of the cave as he huddled among the other lepers in the cave, trying to keep himself warm. Zamon had insisted stubbornly on sleeping outside the cave. Banual shook his head, not understanding this stubborness. He sighed and closed his eyes, drifting off into a disturbed sleep.
          The cackling of the fire was a source of comfort in the silence that had been threatening to suffocate him. Zamon wrapped his large cloak tighter around him. Although the fire he had made was making him perspire, he was oblivious to the heat. He had taken off his white cotton shirt and used it as a cushion for his head, pressing his face into it once in a while. There was a scent; Deliah; she had sewed it specially for him. Zamon opened his eyes fiercely. He has to stop thinking about her. He must let her go-
          Zamon winced, feeling a punch in the guts. He raised his green eyes to the heavens, making out the cascade of falling stars in the dark sky. Loneliness attacked him and there was a sudden unexpected sound of thunder; it was the sound of Zamon locking his heart. Then he threw the keys away in anger.

* * *

          Deliah jumped at the unexpected sound of thunder.
          “It’s not going to rain, is it?” she asked nervously.
          Jeuel studied the sky, “ No.”
          He opened one of the gray bags and took out a large blanket, spreading it out on the ground. Deliah glanced at him.
          “ Won’t it be freezing cold in the night?” She wondered.
          Jeuel grinned, “ You can cuddle with me if you like. My body will give you all the warmth you need.”
          Deliah’s eyes widened and looked incredulous. “ You mean we are allowed to do this? It is not a sin?”
          Jeuel laughed outright. “ We did this while training, but not with a girl though.”
          Glaring at him suspiciously, Deliah got into the ‘ sleeping bag’ and continued to glower at him.
         Jeuel grinned and slipped in next to her. He shook his head, still grinning and gave Deliah a massage on her straight shoulders.
          “ Come on, don’t be so stiff. It’s nothing,” Jeuel paused. “ It’s not like we are going to kiss or anything.”
          Deliah whipped her head around, horrified. Then she punched him playfully when she saw the mischievous glint in his dark eyes.
          “ Jeuel,” she said dangerously.
          “ What?” he asked innocently.
          Deliah was about to retort back when she saw the way he was looking at her. It was different. The way his smoky dark eyes were staring at her reminded her of Zamon. It was the way Zamon looked at her when he wanted to kiss her. Then, suddenly confused and tired, Deliah turned her back towards him and gazed up at the starry sky.
          Jeuel rebuked himself for failing to mask his emotions as he stared at Deliah’s back. He should not have keep staring at her lips. He closed in eyes in despair. What went through his mind earlier had been so sinful; so wrong. He must be careful. Deliah must never know of his feelings for her. She had not known it before and she must never suspect it now. Jeuel groaned softly.
          “ Somewhere out there,” Deliah whispered and closed her eyes, breathing the night air deeply.
          Her beloved is somewhere out there. Zamon, how I missed you so. Her heart uttered those heart wrenching words as she stared at the countless stars. Deliah felt a tear rolling down her cheeks and brushed it away. God, where are you? I need you so badly.
          The silent plea for help was not unheard. It drifted into the clouds and warmth descended into her soul. She was no longer cold. Deliah felt at peace; a sudden revelation revealed. It helped to know that she and her husband were sleeping under the same big blue sky. She opened her eyes and stared up at the dark sky, slightly comforted. Hang on Zamon, I’ll find you soon.

* * *

          “ Zamon! Wake up! It’s daylight and we’ll have to start hunting for food.”
          Zamon looked up groggily to see Banual all ready with his sets of tools. As he got up, he saw Banual looked startled, but kept quiet. Zamon felt a sudden chill and followed Banual’s line of sight.
          His hair stood on its ends when he saw the folds of hideous lumps on his arms. Zamon closed his eyes in despair, swallowing the sudden nauseating urge to puke. He has to get used to this type of lifestyle. He must get used to seeing his own body transform in his eyes. He must accept his destiny. He was fated to die as an outcast, a loner, a misery, he shuddered as the last word came into his mind - a monster.
                    Banual shook him as best as he could with his curved hands, “ Stop it! I say, stop it!”
          Zamon’s eyes shot open. It was then that he noticed that Banual had short digits on his hands.
          “ Is this -” he asked weakly, eyeing Banual’s exceptionally short fingers.
          Banual nodded, “ It’s been like since that disease came onto me.”
          Zamon turned away faintly, “ Let’s go.”
          Banual eyed his new friend critically, then turned and led him out of the dark cave.
          Zamon tried not to drag his feet as he followed Banual into the sunshine. It was a tiring job to be the breadwinner for eight men. All the food that he had brought with him was gone within the same day. It was supposed to last him for a month! But, it was not even enough for the nine lepers. There were days when all of them had to go without food. Zamon ignored the pleadings of his stomach and concentrated on the path in front of him, his sharp ears picking up nature noises in the trees beside him. Then, he heard something else - the sound of human footsteps. He glanced at Banual, unsure of what he was supposed to do. Banual stiffened, hearing them too. Quietly, he motioned Zamon to the trees.
          “ Quick, hide yourself!” he hissed and hobbled as swiftly as his deformed body would allow him.
          Zamon was too slow. He was at loss for a moment and this caused him time. Then time stopped. Everything suddenly went into slow motion. Zamon saw a couple appearing at the end of the path, making their way towards his direction. He saw their eyes widening when they saw his deformed body. The man held his wife protectively behind him. There was a loud hysterical scream -
          “ Get away from us, demon!! Go back to where you belong! Go away!!
          Then time started again and Zamon was fleeing, the hateful words ringing, screaming, and resounding in his eardrums. Demon. Go away. Go away. He was worst than a monster, he was a demon. Zamon couldn’t bear it; the rejection thrusted coldly into his face again. He sank to the ground, and it was at this position where Banual found him moments later.
          “ We’ve all been through it before. It’s been like this for years. But the important thing is, we came through it.” Banual said quietly.
          Zamon looked up, barely hearing his friend. Banual stared at him, then, in a sudden motion, his fist of anger slammed right into Zamon.
          “ Damn it Zamon! I thought that you are a man! You, are supposed to survive this! Stop feeling so sorry for yourself! What about us? We are in the same boat, and do you hear us weeping and wailing about it all long? No! I’m getting sick and tired of your woman-like behavior. Please stop acting like a pitiful jerk.”
          Zamon closed his eyes. He had indeed been acting like a child. Whatever that had happened to him, it was done. He can never change that fact. He was a leper and he have to accept it. There is no God, only a devil, and he must accept that no miracles can ever change his destiny.
          “ I’m sorry,” he said hoarsely at last.
          Banual stared at him and his anger dissipated. He managed a gruff smile.
          “ Let’s get the food, I’m starving.”


~Chapter 6~

          Jeuel woke up and shaded his eyes from the glare of the sun. He shifted uncomfortably, remembering the lustful dreams he had of Deliah; the feel of her soft body snuggling unconsciously against him. Then he remembered the incident in the night. Deliah had been crying in her sleep. There were a few times where he heard her crying out for Zamon. Jeuel felt a twinge of jealousy and was appalled. How could he be thinking such evil thoughts? He turned around regretfully and looked for Deliah.
          Then in a sudden swift motion, he swept everything away. Panic was evident in his wild eyes. Deliah was gone! His dark eyes scanned the area frantically, scattered thoughts plundering him. Where could she have gone? How could she have left him? How long ago was it? Has she gone far? He made a calculated instinctive guess and lunged away from their campsite.
          Meanwhile, Deliah was staring at cave ahead of her curiously. She had a strong sense that her husband was somewhere near. Slowly, she made her way to the entrance of the cave. A well of trepidation grew in her as she stared at the darkness in front. It was cold and dreary -
          She let out a sudden scream when someone grabbed her.
          “ Deliah, don’t move.” Jeuel warned dangerously.
          Deliah whirled around in relief when she saw that it was Jeuel. Then her expression changed when she saw the look on his face.
          “ Back away. Hurry.” He guided the startled Deliah urgently away from the cave.
          It was only when they were at a safe distance from the cave then Jeuel explained to the bewildered Deliah.
          “ You had been in the danger zone. The cave was well-known as the home of the nine lepers.”
          Deliah looked at him, puzzled. “ I still don’t understand why -”
          Jeuel stared at her, shocked that she was so ignorant.
          “ You don’t know? Leprosy is the worst kind of disease that a human being can go through. They deformed into beasts as days passed. That’s why they are outcast from their villages. People never go near them for fear that leprosy might get passed to them.”
          Deliah’s brown eyes went big and compassionate.
          “ Oh, those poor people! Cast out from their village, their homes, their families - no food...” her voice trailed off in sadness.
          Jeuel looked at her, disturbed, “ Yes, but it is for the best. To sacrifice the well-being of one is to save the rest of the village from the same suffering.”
          Deliah went quiet.
          Jeuel became concerned, “ Deliah, I know you. Promise me that you will never go near there again. Promise me.”
          Deliah looked up at him, her beautiful eyes innocently big. “ What makes you so sure that I was even thinking of going near there?”
          She gave her childhood friend a disarming smile.
          Jeuel grinned, enticed by the change in her mood. “ By the way, why did you leave me early this morning?”
          Deliah had a faraway look in her eyes, “ I was following my heart. I just thought that Zamon was somewhere near.”
          Jeuel took her arm and gently scolded her, “ Don’t ever do that to me again. You gave me the greatest scare of my life.”
          Deliah nodded, somewhat surprised at the tone of his voice. It had an underlying meaning. She shrugged it away.

* * *

          Jeuel glanced at Deliah, feeling awful for being the one who destroyed her happiness. During their entire way back home, Deliah had sobered and did not talk much. He sighed. As much as he had wanted to carry on the search, he knew that it was hopeless. Besides, with the mysterious missing of a bag of food, they have no choice but to return to the village. Jeuel glanced at Deliah again, wanting to comfort her, but withheld himself as he saw her struggling to keep her compose.
          Deliah was controlling the urge to cry. With every step closer to her village, she felt that she taking a step further away from her husband. She will never find him now. Deliah almost regretted stealing away a bag of food from Jeuel. The feeling immediately dissipated. She knew that she had done the right thing. Those nine lepers needed the food much more than she needed it. The bag of food could have only bought her more time to find her husband but the food was essential for them to survive. Deliah turned her disappointment to God and laid her sadness before him.
          God, why didn’t you help me? Zamon had felt so close, and now - he is gone. I’ll never see him again. God, where are you?
          Deliah was startled when Jeuel touched her arm, his eyes motioning towards the village. A lonely melody drifted towards them as they reached the village. A chill went down Deliah’s body. A crowd was gathered around Chief Chileab with bowed heads. Deliah managed to spot Sister Nashra with her husband. A small burst of joy spurt out at the back of her mind as she realised that Nashra being here means that she was well. Then, the chilling song evaporated her joy. The Chief was singing the song. It was the song that was sang only during a funeral. A horrid notion struck Deliah and frantically, she squeezed through the crowd, pushing her way to the front. Jeuel followed her immediately but met with much more difficulty with the resilient crowd.
          The Chief ended the song with a tear in his eyes and dabbed it with a cloth. It was then that he noticed the stir in the crowd. In a sudden moment, Deliah stood before him, her eyes flashing dangerously.
          “ What is this, Chief?”
          The Chief looked startled at seeing her. Then he bowed his head solemnly.
          “ This is a sad occasion,” he started slowly, then nodding to Jeuel as he appeared by Deliah’s side. “ I would like to give you my heartfelt regrets,” he paused.
          Deliah looked at him wildly, “ What are you saying?” She felt bewildered, the atmosphere a haunting silence; it was all too strange. She felt weak suddenly was grateful for Jeuel’s support on her arm.
          The Chief glanced at the silent crowd for a moment and made an announcement, “ Now that Zamon’s widow has arrived, the funeral can proceed officially.”
          Deliah stared at him, stricken. “ What are you saying? Why are you doing this? You know that Zamon is not dead!”
          The Chief looked at her sternly, “ I understand. It’s hard coming back without your husband. But if you had listened to me, you wouldn’t have dragged Chief Jeuel on the unnecessary search. Because of your thoughtless decision, the food that the men have been bringing home the last few days without Chief Jeuel was disgusting. Anyway, I was right, as always. Now, you have to listen to me and accept it.” The Chief paused and said slowly, calmly, emphasizing every monosyllable, “ Zamon is dead. Your husband is dead. Your hus -”
          Deliah’s body was shaking with sobs. “ How could you do this? Why is this happening? You did not even have the evidence of his dead body and yet you are making this cruel assumption! I hate you, I hate all of you!!!”
          The Chief glared at her. “ I understand that you have been through a lot,” he said coldly, “ but that gives you no reason to be rude to your elder. Stop behaving like a child. Why can’t you just accept that Zamon is dead!”
          “ NOooo!!!! Stop this, please!!!”
          Jeuel grabbed Deliah, restraining her from attacking the Chief. She sobbed in anguish and pounded on his chest, venting her frustration.
          “ No!! Jeuel, tell him it’s not true! Tell me that this is not happening! Tell me that it is just a nightmare! Tell me that Zamon is still alive!!” She burst into a hysterical blabbering.
          Jeuel felt a pain clawing his heart into tiny pieces. The Chief nodded at him to bring Deliah away. With a heavy heart, Jeuel heaved Deliah into his arms in a sudden movement and strode away from the murmuring crowd.
          “ Wait, Chief Jeuel!” a woman’s voice called after him.
          Jeuel turned around slowly and saw Nashra running after him. He raised his eyebrow and nodded at her. “ I see that you have recovered.”
          Nashra nodded and looked at Deliah helplessly, “ She is my friend. Let me try and help her.”
          Jeuel smiled grimly, “ Follow me. She’s almost unconscious.”


© Shamane J.T, 2003

To find out what happened in the ending chapters...

 The Tenth's Miracle ( 7-10 )  (ASR)
Somewhere out there, somewhere... her soulmate is alive - yearning, needing her...
#706312 by loveshines

© Copyright 2003 loveshines (loveshines at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/706260-The-Tenths-Miracle---4-6-