*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/710731-Awarded
Rated: 18+ · Letter/Memo · Writing.Com · #710731
I've given my tokens of appreciation
Every once in a while, a piece will win me over, and in return, I can't help but bestow that piece an awardicon. Keep in mind these awardicon recipients are unaffiliated with my contest "Troublesome Musings [18+]. To see the winners of the contest, check out "Troublesome Winners [18+]

 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#557721 by Not Available.


I plan on following the procedure I followed with this poem for my future awardees. Each item will receive a brief essay on why I awarded it. But for the sake of this list, I will simply say this poem reminded me of my imperfections and how emotionally retentive I can be.

 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#302535 by Not Available.


Truly some of the deepest, most meaningful lyrics on this site, and I have gone digging. Lyrics are truthfully very hard to write well without turning them into poetry. MontyP accomplishes this and then some. I encourage all of you to flip through this folder for wonderful reads.

You know you're addicted when....  (18+)
A cute little idea I had based on one of my old items.
#704406 by Jax: Not here.


Sometimes, I'll give out an awardicon on a limb, no essay or anything like that. In this case, I gave Jax an awardicon for one of the funniest items around. I have a thing for these types of lists, as they are infamous at band (geek) websites. In fact, there is a "You know you've been in band too long..." list with over 800 items! I admit I'm a sucker for that sort of stuff, so in that spirit I gave Jax an awardicon for it. Hopefully she'll salvage some of those items and extend her list*Smile*

 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#777966 by Not Available.


Recently, I started a review/plug forum known as "Acid Tongued. James' writing to me was the epitome of why I set up "Acid Tongued, with its disturbing plot, vivid visuals, and the gall to bluntly, fearlessly tell a story. I was very impressed by this work, and it left a permanent mark in my conscious. Not many works can do that. Stephen King's The Stand is the only other work to have such an impact.



STATIC
The Mythtery of Creation  (13+)
An unorthodox creation myth—and no, I don't speak with a lithp.
#596454 by St. Patrickraken


Truthfully I'm not sure where to begin when it comes to this piece! Ever since David sent me the link to this piece a few months ago, "Mythery" has become without a doubt one of my favorite pieces on the site. Satire may not have been at the forefront of his mind when he wrote this, but that's the true beauty of the piece. I note it as "subtle" since it's less mocking in tone and almost punny in some places. He also provides his own answer to the age old question "Which came first: the chicken or the egg?" in this profoundly thoughtful and funny piece. Read it with an open mind and a lighthearted attitude, and I assure you it will be worth your while.

 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#832525 by Not Available.


One day several months back, I stumbled across this wonderful short story. The description spoke of an unlikely perspective, but I like the word refreshing. Rarely do you read anything from the perspective of those who worked in some capacity on the Titanic, and I was especially intrigued by the perspective chosen. The story centers around a trio of musicians before and during the sinking of the Titanic. It is heartbreaking, refreshing and extremely well written. I highly recommend this piece!

 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#630940 by Not Available.


This award is way overdue. While I read my share of poetry around this site, no poem can hold a candle to this. "Walls Within" very truthfully depicts a younger version of me, and when I first read this, I was thunderstruck. In fact, it had me crying because it so truthfully described my personality and fragile emotional state at the time. Though I've done a lot of growing up since I read this poem, I can't forget it. It is, in my opinion, the most emotionally jolting poem on the site.

 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#768250 by Not Available.


Journalling/blogging is a popular activity on Writing.com. However, like any type of writing, it is easy to learn yet difficult to master. While I have peeked into a number of journals on the site, I only follow about five or so. Most of these journals have already been previously awarded, so I felt it was time to ensure all of my favorite journals were awarded. Chris's journal is an ideal balance of updates on life and ponderings of various concepts, abstract or concrete. His entries are some of the most thought out and well written on the site. It actually reminds me of another journal I follow. Can you guess which one that is? *Wink*

 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#825458 by Not Available.


This piece originally came to my attention through my Troublesome Musings, but it faced some major competition in last year's round. However, I had a soft spot for it, because it reminded me a lot of a poem I wrote, "Passacaglia [GC]. It's a sad, sick and yet strangely wonderful piece. Such twisted stories are valuable in a way that isn't easy to explain. I suppose my tendency to explore the dark side of human nature draws me into stories such as this. Still, the sadness of this story's premise plus its interesting coincidence compelled me to finally give this work the recognition it deserves.

 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#971566 by Not Available.


Though another piece I found via Troublesome Musings, I adored this piece so much I had to reward it afterwards. I dubbed it "Token of Appreciation" because the piece both supported my feelings about the United States and had wonderful structure and style. It may be regarded as a rant, but I've never seen a rant flow so smoothly in my years on the site. The sentiments combined with the style make this piece a catchy, important read. It will make you think with its potent message and lyrical hooks. Run, don't walk, to this piece!

 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#954249 by Not Available.


As a realist, I find typical teen angst impossible to stomach. Thus, I was drawn to Wit's anti-angst rant. Though I imagine some teens may have concurrent opinions, too few of them are willing to stand up to their peers and tell them to stop dwelling on petty issues. I had often frowned upon such shenanigans, and I was delighted to see someone else who felt the same way about teens in her teen years. Wit has captured my attention. Hopefully her peers will listen to her important message.

Give Me, Give Me, Give Me  (ASR)
Will begging get me what I need on Writing.Com? No.
#1018345 by Vivian


Much like "Broken Children", Viv's editorial seemed to read my mind. This time, though, she was echoing thoughts I had first written in my journal last year. Her no-nonsense approach to the issue of gift points and upgrades was not only refreshing but a much needed wake-up call. As a person who is constantly paying for her own gift points and upgrades, I was ecstatic to see this. I realize I'm quite lucky to be able to pay for all I have, but at the same time, I know there's plenty of opportunity for people to earn these things. Since I have the means to pay, I kick back so someone else can take advantage of upgrades through RAOK and get gift points from bots. It's not easy work, but it is possible to earn all sorts of goodies around here. Kudos, Viv, for making this point loud and clear!

FORUM
Kit's Higher Ratings Contest  (18+)
A contest for items with a higher content rating.
#887621 by Kit


Being an author who enjoys writing pieces which warrant higher content ratings on a routine basis, I have few contest options for my existing pieces. This is one of the reasons I set up Troublesome Musings and is the inspiration behind awarding this ribbon to Kit. Besides this being a great place for authors to receive kudos for their more graphic pieces, Kit's prizes are beneficial to many people, as winners get half of the gift points of their prize while selecting a Writing.com charity to receive the other half. Kudos, Kit, for such a great contest!

Grammarama  (13+)
A library featuring commonly committed errors of the English language.
#890221 by St. Patrickraken


I admit I'm a grammar fiend, especially in my reviews. After a while, I started getting tired of typing the same advice over and over. When David told me about his grammar guide, I was a very happy girl. Now I could just link an entry so people could access further information on their flubs with taking up reviewing space. As well, it meant more exposure for David. It turns out I'm not the only fan of this guide, as other authors have linked to it as well. It's nowhere near full yet, but what's in there is already valuable information you don't often see around the site.

Exceptional Perspective Award  (E)
Works which, in my opinion, demonstrate an exceptional expression of perspective.
#1059412 by obwan


Though Obwan has only given out a small number of ribbons so far, he has made excellent choices when it comes to to pieces he recognizes. His collection recognizes multiple perspectives and rewards thinking beyond the liberal/conservative dividing line, showing that no matter who we are we have more than two choices when it comes to opinions on various issues. I look forward to seeing future awardees in Obwan's recognition program and anticipate many more poignant works to be awarded.

Myths of Poetry  (13+)
Suggests ways that poetry readers and writers can be more effective
#708567 by Eliot


Eliot's short piece on reading and writing poetry reminds us that with poetry, method is crucial. The points are uncomplicated and simple ways to improve both the writing and reading of poetry. His piece may not give exact tips to solidify a person's poetry. That's not its intention. Instead, Eliot's promptings intend to make readers and writers of poetry rethink their perceptions of the craft of poetry. Have a read of this and then read some poetry. I guarantee you won't view poetry in the same light after reading this.

Civil Disobedience  (18+)
Entry from Prelim Round 1
#1106205 by Legerdemain


During the course of the Spring 2006 SLAM, I read quite a variety of poems, but Leger's poem from Round One ended up my favorite out of the hundreds of verses written during that time in May and June. The Round One prompt was to retell a historical event from a personal point of view. To me, Leger's take was the most creative, as she wrote from a view that would be politically incorrect in our era. That in itself was more than enough to merit extra recognition, but Leger's classy handling of the perspective made me stand up and applaud this piece on stylistic and contextual grounds. Kudos, Leger, for showing the many ways in which we can step outside the box!

 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#1016068 by Not Available.


To me, Kotaro is an author who deserves much more attention. In 2005, he got an Honorable Mention in "Troublesome Musings [18+], and I was surprised to find I had bestowed him his first awardicon. His stories may be short, but his eye for detail and imagination to write offbeat works are worthy of further recognition. "Where Do you Get Your Ideas?" was his entry in the 2006 round, but in a particularly competitive round, it did not receive a prize. Still, I felt the story deserved a ribbon, if nothing else for its twisty ending and smart description of a gory scene.

 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#1025821 by Not Available.


Spiffy McCool's spiffy entry in Troublesome Musings was another piece that seized my attention yet did not receive a prize in a competitive round. Still, it was a great story. Besides a few taboo elements, there was a great deal of lewd comedy that made this story even more enjoyable. I wish I had been able to read more of this series. Hopefully he will post another installment so I can find out what happens to this oddball submarine crew.

 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#1106513 by Not Available.


As you can probably guess, this was yet another piece I adored in 2006's crop of Troublesome Musings. This story, I felt, was a wonderful example of a high rating and solid storytelling. Aside from the creeptastically visceral nature of the imagery, Ricky created rich characters that gave the story a great deal of sadness in addition to the gore and violence. Horror stories, to me, tend to go more for the primal impact than the more abstract recesses of the mind. Ricky's story accomplishes both tasks quite nicely.

 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#1078131 by Not Available.


2006 was a great year for finding great Troublesome Musings. *Bigsmile* Out of all the runnings, the third round contained so many quality works, and Mikagami's poem was among them. He says the poem reflects an older style, but it is one I appreciate. I also appreciate the subject matter, not to mention the eye-catching brief description. It is brutal, graphic and provocative, truly a troublesome musing. It is not for religious conservatives or the easily squicked. Now you can see why I like it so much!

 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#1443773 by Not Available.


It's been quite a long time since I've felt compelled to reward a piece on my own, let alone actually do so. Sister L's piece was a Troublesome Musings entry. My judges disagreed with my initial decision to award it an honorable mention, and I diplomatically withdrew this decision. Still, I liked this story. Aside from its visceral impact, I was drawn to its basic concept. My judges felt it advocated religion, but I did not see that. What I saw was a painful story of actions and their painful consequences. It is a controversial story told in a way that both allows readers in while also not cutting corners in any way.

 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#1310943 by Not Available.


This piece I found while searching for items to feature in my drama newsletter. Some of the pieces I find are adequate, but this one was riveting. I admit I have a weak spot for historical fiction written from unexpected perspectives. Kimmery's piece fills the bill quite nicely. It's a story that you don't care how long it is. You find yourself strapped in and staying with it till the very end, which is cautiously optimistic. That and I'm a Thursday baby, so I have a fondness for the last part of the story.

IN & OUT
Tap the Muse  (18+)
Link an item to advertise or for r/r and write a short piece with the given word.
#1569967 by Joy


Though I'm not nearly as active on the site as I once was, I still enjoy going out and trying new activities. Joy's plug page combines advertisement and free writing exercise in one enjoyable package. You can come for the plugged items, the short snippets of imagination or both! I've actually been weaving a little vignette in there but am always wondering what I can add next. It's writing for people on the go plus a chance to show off what has been written when a solid block of time becomes available. *Smile*
© Copyright 2003 Elisa the Bunny Stik (soledad_moon at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/710731-Awarded