*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/711371-looking-down-from-a-bar-stool
Rated: ASR · Article · How-To/Advice · #711371
It's just a local bar, or is it? Come sit and see what we can find out.
Is his name Boris I wonder? And what part of a dark Latvian country does he come from? And her, that dusky maiden to his left what of her indeed?

What about that couple in the corner? yes thats right those two over there. They just have to be lovers the way they eat holding hands and never leave their eyes apart for one moment. What tryst is being wound in the corner I wonder?

Yes all around me are secret stories and heaving potentials, who ever said this, was just a friendly neighbourhood bar anyway? No it's a seedbed of ideas that’s what it is. Imagine I used to come here for a quiet drink before I realised.

A good story owes much to the imagination of its author coupled with the technical expertise of course.

Since I have started really seeing the truth of what’s going on at my local bar, why it’s a revelation just what I’ve seen. To think my wife reckons I go there because I like to drink!!

Why even as I type that handsome man over there is busy using his latest lines on that attractive girl perched flirtatiously on the barstool. Man look at him go? Wonder should I tell her about the two kids and a wife in the pick up truck outside?

This then is the stuff of fiction as characters tumble out of my head clothed in all kinds of exciting clothes, So what are the elements of a good read.

Firstly, I think good solid characters. Your story needs to be populated with believable people try and keep your story in context, for instance if say its set in the 18th century try not to have the characters using modern idioms of speech.

Where your story is set is important, do a bit of research into the place and time and put lots of description into each scene.

Try always to plan your story, think about its direction, decide where you'd like it to go and plan its route sensibly. To often a good story is ruined because we launch into it and then half way through we get stuck and can't move it anymore.

Invest time with your characters see how they run with the plot lines you give them.

Now I'd love to stay but I just simply must ask that guy in the corner with the one glass eye, just what power he wields over the young blond sitting opposite him, wanna join me for his answer?


Terry

© Copyright 2003 knight life (terry1 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/711371-looking-down-from-a-bar-stool