*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/716842-The-soldier-has-come-home
Rated: E · Letter/Memo · Emotional · #716842
he had to leave, and it seems like he was gone forever
Dear daddy,
Mommy said that you are coming home today. I am so happy. I have missed you. Grandma is here too, we are all going to the airport to meet you.
I wonder, will you look the same, will I look the same to you? Do you still where the same aftershave? I like the way it smells, so does mommy, while you have been gone, she has been smelling the bottle that you left here.
Daddy, we are on the way to the air port now, so are a lot of other people. I see a lot of American flags. those other people must be going to get their soldiers too.
Mommy and Grandma are being very quiet. They must just be waiting to talk to you. I just saw a big plane land, maybe it is the one you are on. Mommy must think so too, she is starting to drive a little faster.
Wow! There are a lot of people here! They all look happy, they are waiving flags and holding signs that say welcome. I can see your plane, some soldiers are starting to come out. The other people are running to the plane. I want to go with them but mommy is holding my hand tight. I look up at her and notic for the first time that she is crying. She does that sometimes when she is happy.
I keep looking for you, but you are not comming off of the plane. Wait! There is someone coming toward us, you look so different. As you get closer, I realise that there is a reason for you to look different. It is not you.
The man spoke to mommy, and said we can go to a building not far away and see you. Mommy cried a little harder She squeezed my hand and followed the soldier.
We walked into a building, other people were there; other moms and kids. There was a stage and and chairs. A man walked to the podium and began to speak. mommy and grandma were crying,I didn't understand.
The speaker read a list of names, Things were starting to become clear to me. After each name he would say a phrase, "killed in action." I am young, but I know what is going on. I am crying now too daddy. He just said your name. I think he must be wrong.
There are so many things I want to tell you, but now I can't. I am to sad to finish this letter. please say hi to granddad for me.
Mommy says it will be ok for me to finish the letter to you. I don't know why, you can't read it now. She takes me by the hand and leads me to a box with a flag on it. There is your picture, the same one that is at home. Maybe you can just take my letter now. I love you Daddy. Thank you.
Love your little princes
© Copyright 2003 Jamie Jo (jamie_jo at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/716842-The-soldier-has-come-home