*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/723709-AntiCrombie
Rated: ASR · Article · Fashion · #723709
Just a quick glimpse of what stores like Abercrombie are doing to the minds of our kids.
This is the age of Abercrombie & Fitch. Nearly every junior high, high school, and post high school student sports the company proudly. However, there are the few students who maintain enough confidence to be the matadors against the overpowering bull of Abercrombie conformity. They are the minority. They are the people who refuse to pay outrageous prices for a shirt they could buy at a store like Target for five bucks. They are the proud who reject the sexy ads and the idea that clothes actually serve any other purpose than to keep the unmentionables unseen. Although Abercrombie flaunts flashy ads and makes its buyers feel rich and powerful, the store promotes social and moral conformity by plastering junior and senior high students with the idea that you are what you wear.
One must concede, though, that Abercrombie & Fitch does rake in thousands, if not millions, of dollars off teenagers, or more accurately, their parents. As a profiting organization, it employs hundreds of thousands of people across the country. However, the people it employs get the wrong idea regarding what America is based on. America is a material-thing country. Americans no longer take pride in art, poetry, or literature. Unless both Mom and Dad work, big screen TV’s and high ceilings are present, and Benz’s are driven, a student in a middle class family may find it hard to find a group of friends of which to be a part. Middle class parents spend out more money than anyone should to keep their kids in the popular crowd, and dive into debt as a result.
Everyone wants to go shopping there because everyone wants to be cool. Kids should be able to dress how they want, should they not? The issue is whether the one that dresses in the expensive clothes has any right to degrade the one that cannot afford it or simply chooses not to conform. Individuality is the key to America’s success. However, youngsters today are abusing that privilege and taking it into their own hands to decide what is both right to wear and what sufficient grounds for being burned at the stake are. Clothes do not matter that much. Clothes should not make or break a person. From now on, clothes should be made with only black fabric and have nothing printed on them unless the youth can change their ways.
Someone once wrote an essay on how the perfect figure of the ever-popular Barbie doll dismantles the moral fabric of little girls in today’s society. Abercrombie & Fitch does the same thing, except on a much larger playing field – all of America. These stores display ads that are too sexual, too raunchy, and too similar to pornography in public places like a mall. For instance, just this past Christmas season an ad showing the Santa Clause of 2003, a twenty-year-old sex symbol wearing nothing but red Abercrombie underwear and a red stocking cap, sat peacefully undisturbed inside a display case facing the food court, a popular gathering place for families and students visiting the theatre to spend quality family time. That is not even the worst of it. Last summer there was an ad displayed showing a presumably nude woman in an overly sexy pose sandwiched between two overly buff men, also presumably naked. Can someone explain how people not wearing clothes sell over priced clothes? If that is what it takes to draw in customers these days then we should all feel ashamed to be American mall shoppers. The thought that these stores are thoughtlessly exposing five year olds to those images is disgusting. The idea that sex sells should sicken each one of us.
Abercrombie & Fitch is destroying America citizen by citizen. The mockery underprivileged students endure is even higher a price than a pair of jeans and a t-shirt. Abercrombie is a virus, spreading from one person to the next and killing off whoever refuses to conform. There is still hope in a few cells of people, but not much. As I look at the younger students, I cannot find even one not wearing Abercrombie or Aeropostle. Maybe my eyes are playing tricks on me, or maybe we just need uniforms, but that is a whole other story.

© Copyright 2003 J. M. Roberts (outlaw777 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/723709-AntiCrombie