*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/736456-Stormys-Spirit
Rated: E · Short Story · Animal · #736456
The story of Stormy and her Spirit.
*Heart*Stormy's Spirit*Heart*



         My name is Stormy, and this is my story. God made me as one of his many creations. I'm a beautiful big hearted dalmatian. Into this world I was born, a tiny little girl curious and brave. Never venturing far from my mother's warm side. As I grew, I ran and played, chasing my tail and chewing rawhide bones. Then one day as I chewed and played, a new face was looking at mine. My soft eyes gazed up, my tail wagged, I smiled my best smile as a hand reached out to pat my head. My tiny ears perked up as I heard the sweetest voice other than my own mother's. It was a voice from heaven above. As she looked over my brothers and sisters too, I hoped she would make a choice.

"Pick me, Pick me" I whimpered and cried.

         I even left my rawhide bone to snuggle close and sneak a kiss. The lady's voice, so soft and sweet, whispered into my ear as she picked me up. She held me close and looked into my eyes. My eyes were my soul, and I looked back at her. She smiled and said what a pretty little girl I was. I was so excited, I trembled all over. I knew at that moment, she was the one for me. It was I who chose this beautiful lady. Always faithful, forever I would be. My heart beat excitedly as she put me in her car. Running her hand gently down my back, she said that she just had to pick me.

         A stop to the toy store! Oh what a treat! I could hardly stand it. A new ball, a new chew toy and a pretty new collar just for me, my heart almost burst with so much glee. I knew I would love her, my new mom you see. Off we went, once again, I hoped she would never leave me. A new house, my very own. I would stay here forever. She really did want me. My new mom, my new family. I looked up with shining young eyes as a cool bowl of water and kibbles sat out for me. My heart, so full of love, was ready to bust as I chased my tail and gave mom a kiss. I ate so much, I laid down to sleep. On my very own blanket, just for me. Never fearing that when I woke, mom would still be here, I wouldn't be alone.
Yes, I chose her, make no mistake.

         I learned to behave, and sleep by mom's feet to keep her warm. Many years went by and I lived happily. I was part of mom's family and guarded them well. I started to get old, but I didn't let it get me down. I still ran and played, just not for as long. I had many years left to have lot's of fun.

         The sweet loving voice of my mom comforted me through long winter nights. As years went on, sometimes I had accidents. Mom never yelled or got mad. She was smart and she understood. One day we went for a ride in the car. I knew already by the sight of the white coat, that the stranger we went to see was a doctor. I didn't feel sick, I tried to whimper to let mom know. But she had me checked just in case, and to be sure. They took lots of tests, and I tried to be patient and good, my eyes never leaving my mom's. Soon it was over and mom took me in her arms. My tail wagged and I smiled, showing my mom that I was still just a pup. Not to worry, I would be just fine.

         I laid my paw upon her hand that night, and gazed up into her eyes. I was glad to be back home again, even though she tried to give me bad tasting pills. I learned a new word that day. The word 'Cancer' fell to my ears. I knew that if she searched long enough and gazed into my eyes, she would see the soul of a dog, always faithful, trusting, loving and kind. I knew that my life laid in the balance today. With just a nod of a head and a shot given, I would stay asleep forever. I also knew my mom. She would never let them do that to me. I felt fine and wagged my tail to reassure her. I loved my mom and would never leave or hurt her. She in turn allowed me to live on. My mom loved me too. I would be forever attached to her, right up to my final breath. Always faithful, loving, forever attached.

         Our life went back to normal, and I couldn't have been happier. I ran and played, loved my chew toys and rawhide bones. Content I was, with many kisses and smiles I gave back to the lady, my faithful mom who I devoted my love to for so many years. I would lay and look at this beautiful human who so unselfishly gave her unconditional love to me.

         Then one day I woke up in my soft blanket, not feeling my usual happy self. I started to feel a little afraid. Something was wrong and I didn't know what. I looked at my mom, needing some help. I didn't want to scare her or make her sad. I just wanted to comfort her and give her a kiss, to reassure her. What ever was wrong with me, it was not getting any better. The pain seemed to worsen little by little. I let out a small cry to let my loving mom know that I wanted to be comforted, petted, and held. I didn't want to be alone. My mom knelt down and gently spoke to me. Her soft hand stroked my head and my soft eyes looked up to her in appreciation. A faint kiss was given just before something very strange happened. My body started to shake and convulse. I cried out in fear as nothing like this had ever happened before. I didn't want to scare my mom, and then I learned another new word, 'Seizure'.

         Mom knew what was happening, but I didn't. She held me and never left my side.
"What was this?" I whimpered.
As soon as the shaking stopped I noticed a tear in her eye. I laid on my soft blanket and looked at her, trying to let her know that I would be fine, and not to cry or feel bad. I rested. Then another seizure came, and another. Soon I was panting, trying to still reassure my mom that I would overcome this sudden attack to my body. I was grateful that my mom stayed by my side to hold me, sweet loving words penetrated my ear with her soft whispers. Suddenly, another seizure over took my body. This one was so severe, I couldn't help but cry. It hurt me, and I could hear my mom crying too. She was afraid and sad. I knew then that my time to leave her would be soon.

         I didn't want to leave my mom. Not like this. Mom was crying and I wanted to make her feel better. She was hurting too and I wanted to stop the hurt. In the past, my kisses could take away the hurt, but not this time. I couldn't kiss mom because another seizure took me over right when I was about to help my mom. This one so bad that I involuntarily cried out in fear and pain. I was unaware of my surroundings now and I didn't know if my mom was holding me or petting me. I knew she loved me and was there before. She would not leave me now. This seizure was the worst, and I knew it was my time to leave my mom, my family, who I was with for so long. This must have been what the new word 'Cancer' meant.

         I laid still, with eyes closed, remembering my life and all of the good times we had had together. The sweet gentle voice that soothed me, and the hand that pet me. Far off in the distance, I heard strange voices, and my mom's sweet loving voice. I knew she was with me still, even though she was sad. I felt her gentle hand upon my head as one of the strangers inserted a needle into me. I tried to open my eyes one last time to see my loving mom. I wanted to smile and let her know that no matter what happened, I would always be faithful, and love her forever. My eyes were heavy, I could not open them. My breath's became shallow, and I knew I would never wake up again. I gave all I had, and with a slight lift of a paw to say goodbye, as my mom's crying faded farther away. Then silence.

         Only moments passed and I opened my eyes, got to my feet and smiled. I felt young again. My tail wagged and my bright eyes saw before me a beautiful bridge with a rainbow over it. I ran in circles chasing my tail and barking happily. There were many dogs on the other side of the bridge. All playing, running, chewing on toys, and all had their very own soft blankets to sleep on. I was met by a big St Bernard, she was wearing angels wing's. She welcomed me and with a wave of her paw, she motioned that I should follow her. I walked across the rainbow bridge to my brand new home. There was my old soft blanket to sleep on, my chew toys and rawhide bones. I, along with all the other's here would run and play and wait for the day to meet our mom's, dad's, and family's once again. I smiled and gave out kisses.

         Stormy couldn't have been happier. But she still wanted to comfort her mom. The St.Bernard led her to a pond, and there she looked down. Stormy saw a little dirty, lost, hungry, homeless little puppy. She whimpered down to him, whispering into his ear softly. She told him to let the humans find him and take him to their shelter and she would lead her mom to find him there. The little spotted dog agreed, but was afraid. Stormy smiled to him and that very same day that she crossed over the rainbow bridge, the little spotted puppy was taken to a shelter and given some food. The next day, the little lost puppy lay asleep on the hard cement of the shelters floor. He awoke to the sweet voice of his new mom. His ears perked up and he wagged his tail.

"Pick me, Pick me" he whimpered and cried.

         He was picked up by his new sweet loving mom, and she whispered into his ear words he had never heard before. No one had ever loved him and he gave her a kiss. Stormy watched as he finally found a new home, and with the lift of a paw, Stormy saw her mom smile again.


This is only the beginning of 'Spirit'
© Copyright 2003 BlueThunder (bluethunder at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/736456-Stormys-Spirit