*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/741800-Disdain-for-Citizen-Input
by Archie
Rated: E · Editorial · Opinion · #741800
This letter is in response to an article quoting Mr. Wright, a Norfolk City Councilman.
In a story regarding the use of Nauticus as a cruise ship terminal, Randy Wright called a letter writing campaign, presumably from citizens, a “knee-jerk reaction.” Well, Mr. Wright, as citizens we are obligated to communicate our ideas and opinions to you, one who is charged with serving our interests, and letter writing is one way to do so. This is certainly not the middle ages when some lord major and his council lords would make decisions without the advice and consent of citizens.

Ironically Mr. Wright was also quoted as saying, “I hope we never get to the point in this city where we stifle ideas.” Well, Mr. Wright, referring to letter writing campaigns as knee-jerk reactions is certainly one way to stifle citizens’ ideas.

I propose Norfolk City Council change its modus operandi and begin to respond to citizens’ comments, letters and other communications with more respect and consider that we, the citizens, may have a good idea now and again.

© Copyright 2003 Archie (archiew at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/741800-Disdain-for-Citizen-Input