*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/742727-Hostage-of--Chocolate-Chip-Cookies
by Dottie
Rated: E · Article · Travel · #742727
An exaggerated account of actual events while traveling!
The Hostage of Two Chocolate Chip Cookies

While I was at Penn Caves in PA for a couple of days this month, I bought two jumbo chocolate chip cookies at the souvenir shop, and tucked them into my pocketbook. I forgot all about them throughout the trip. When I arrived home, I carefully wrapped them again in a plastic sandwich bag, and placed them back into my purse. I reasoned that the cookies would be consumed within a day or two.

Then during the next week, I became busy with packing for our next excursion. This time we were going to the Adirondack Mountains for at least 5 days. We left in two vehicles. My son, Dan with his wife, Roseann and her grandniece traveled in their Van, while Richard, my two grandchildren and I went along in my car. I made sure that those cookies came along, too, just in case I wanted to secretly nibble on something. And, I never revealed to anyone that I was hiding the edible treasures. Throughout the trip, which lasted 5 days, I paid no mind to the decadent goodies. They remained hostages in my purse.

After we returned home, I had only two days to get ready for another trip, this time to the Writing.Com Convention in King of Prussia. Richard and I had planned to arrive early enough to be among the first to register.

On Thursday, the day before our departure, we had a power blackout in the middle of the afternoon. While it was still light enough to see inside the house, I rushed to finish my packing. The lights never came back on until after 4 o’clock in the morning. My son, Richard was coming from his home further away to pick me up. Richard pulled into my driveway late Friday morning, because there were many things that had to be taken care of at the last minute. The gas pumps, of course, were not operating, and he had to siphon gas into his car in order to get to my home. As we finished packing up my car with both our luggage, Richard explained to me that his Town was still without electricity when he left his house.

Finally, we were on our way and gassed up the car before we entered the Highway. With traffic naturally slowed due to the delays from the blackout, we arrived late for registration at the Hotel. We really had nothing to eat during the whole trip even though the two cookies were within reach in a corner of my black bag.

The convention was great. Food was plentiful. I even sampled those other giant chocolate chip cookies that were set out for us during our social and creative activities. Occasionally, I had to pat my bag gently to soothe the vibrating movements that emanated from within every time I went near the table where the other cookies were displayed. It was almost as if the cookies in my bag wanted to jump out and escape to freedom among the other chocolate chip cookies.

Anyway, it was time to go home, and still I never sought out those delectable cookies stored in my pocketbook. There were plenty of other goodies that we sampled instead at the Convention. The chocolate chip cookies remained hostage inside my pocket book for all that time, and ironically, they were never worse for wear. I’m still pondering as to why they were never crushed in all that traveling.

Would you believe that they also came along with me on a trip to Atlantic City, NJ on Wednesday, August 27? But, there is a happy ending to this story. After being in darkness inside my pocketbook since August 02, I finally ravished the two cookies for breakfast the following morning with not a bit of regret or conscience, and then the cookies were no more.

August 29, 2003
© Copyright 2003 Dottie (dillyd32 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/742727-Hostage-of--Chocolate-Chip-Cookies