*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/747829-The-Legend-Makers
Rated: ASR · Short Story · Cultural · #747829
The story behind the real story.
The Legend Makers


         ~For thousands of years, ever since the creation of man, legends have been made. Every culture, continent, religion, and race has a story to tell. Most stories were told to document historical fact's and important people through out time. But, there are thousands of others told that became legends. Many legends have been passed down from generation to generation, remembered and stored in memory's to pass on to future generation's to come. Many were told for entertainment, and most all taught valuable lessons. Here is one story which relates to all stories. and tells the importance of all stories ever created.~



         Kimberly listened as the group assembled at the doorway of her hospital room. They had converged together to discuss just what they were going to do with her. First it was to stick her in a nursing home, to do her recovery there. She had adamantly refused that idea and right now if she could have yelled out at them, or even worked her vocal cords enough to even whisper loud enough to be heard, she would have.

         She watched from her bed as her husband, daughter and two sons huddled together with two doctors and a nurse. The nurse was one of those social worker type nurses built like a football player for the Packers. She had had it with all of them in reality and closed her eyes trying to wish them all into vapor and disappear. A flick of her wrist was unconsciously made in her attempt to whisk them into the stark white walls or under a slab of linoleum. It wasn't going to work but it was a thought, wishful thinking at its finest. The group now was beginning to separate and what ever the decision now would be, she would find out within seconds.

"We are going to let you go home Mrs Markstrom."

         It was the young doctor, the one she hated most who decided to break the news this morning. As of tomorrow morning she was going to get to go home finally after being stuck in this awful place. That was enough for her, and with that final say she finally relaxed. As far as she was concerned, her mind was set and no matter what the decision was, she was going home regardless.

         Robert Markstrom stood against the wall in the hallway, holding his post with a grim, taut expression pressed against his face like a cracked piece of plaster. He wasn't happy with this idea, and knew he couldn't take care of Kim once she got home. The football player Social Worker nurse came up with the alternate plan and arranged to have a visiting nurse, physical therapist and nurses aid make home visits through out the week. The kids now grown had their own jobs and live's to worry about. Kim didn't care either way, as long as she was on her way home was all that mattered now. Tomorrow would be her lucky day and it was what she wanted, home where she could recuperate in her own bed. Right now Kim's body had withered away to under a hundred pounds, her hair was falling out, she suffered neuropathie's in both legs and could not walk. Her voice was gone and she was lucky to utter out a faint whisper if that much. Wanting out of that hospital long ago was what she had wanted all along, even when she was in ICU and managed to unrestrain herself and pulled that terrible tube someone had shoved up her nose leading down to who knew where? she was ready to leave then. It had been over a month and a half since she had been home. Now she was going.

         The next two months at home were the hardest months of her life. The physical therapist came three times a week and gave her exercises to do. He was very good at what he did and Kim liked him. Because she liked him so well, she worked harder to get herself to finally stand up with the aid of a walker. The visiting nurse came in the mornings, took her vitals, and made sure she was doing alright. It was the nurses aid, Cathy that she got close to. Cathy became her friend and helped her wash her hair, take sponge baths and checked her meals. Cathy would stay the full two hours and just visit, read her the paper, watch TV with her and just keep her company and soon, her voice began to come back on its own.

         The visiting team of health care workers did their best and Kim thought they were great, so great she almost didn't want to get better. One afternoon the phone rang and Cathy was there to answer it. It was Kim's brother calling and he insisted on talking to her even though Cathy tried to explain that she was getting ready to wash her hair. Cathy relented, her time was shorter that day due to a scheduling change and handed Kim the phone. Louis was her younger brother and a very persistent one when he put his mind to it. He told Kim that he wanted to take her back home with him, home to South Dakota and she was excited about going. After a fifteen minute conversation she hung up the phone and told Cathy about it, who looked at her like she was crazy.

"Oh you will have to check with the doctor about that, I don't think its a good idea after all you have only been home from the hospital for a month and a half." Cathy rattled on.

"It's going to be alright, we have doctors in South Dakota Cathy, besides, the family we will be visiting is a medicine man's family."

"I know but that's the wrong kind of a doctor to see" Cathy said.

          She knew all about Kim, her family, heritage, and her whole life story; almost by now. They had spent alot of time talking. Cathy was just an aid but she still didn't think it would be a good idea for Kim to make the trip. It was November already and the weather was turning cold. Kim was in ICU for two weeks with full blown pneumonia and several of her systems had failed. Kim had died twice and had to be revived both times. She just shook her head.

"It's alright, we won't be going for another two weeks, it will at least give me time to get a wig."

         A wig! just what she needed, her full long black hair had all fallen out and just knowing that was enough to kill her. She didn't have to be sick, it made her sick just to think about it all.

         That night when Robert came home she told him about it. He too wasn't very happy with this idea but told her that he wouldn't stop her and after twenty five years if he tried now it wouldn't work anyway. Kim knew it wouldn't work either. Her cousin Joe would also go along on the trip, he would help her as much as he could. He too was another one of football player capacity, both in height and weight. Two weeks later she was walking well enough with the use of a cane, but had them put her walker in the back of her Blazer regardless of the fact.

         The weather in northern Ohio was turning cold, it had already snowed once already and it was just past mid November. They would only be gone for a few days at the most and reassured Robert of that fact. He had given her the money to get a wig a week ago when she went for her regular doctors visit. Her own doctor wasn't wild about the idea of her traveling so far, so soon either but he knew Kim too. He had been her family doctor for over twenty years and knew well enough that Kim would do what she wanted no matter what he said. All he could do was advise her not to go.

         The week before Thanksgiving, the trio pulled out of the northern Ohio driveway and headed west. They stopped outside of Chicago for gas, snacks and a fast bathroom run. Although it took Kim almost fifteen minutes to get from the blazer to the bathroom, she slowly moved along with small shaky steps. They were back on the expressway and around midnight, they stopped again for gas. There was a restaurant open all night at that exit, and a small hotel. It was decided to finish the last of the trip the next morning. Kim was exhausted from just sitting so long. They rested up and left early the next morning after a small breakfast at the same restaurant. Around noon they drove through Yankton, South Dakota. Steve lived on the reservation, which made it another good thirty miles farther out into nowhere. Finally reaching the two lane dirt, muddy rut of a driveway that led to Steve's house two miles down, they stopped. Kim noticed several other cars and trucks parked in front of the house too. They were met by Steve's oldest son Randy, who told them that Steve was in the hospital. Kim's eyes widened when he mentioned that he too had pneumonia, but would be coming home tomorrow. 'How could he get well so fast' she wondered to herself. He had just gone into the hospital the day before. Randy told them to stay, and to come in, get warmed up and eat something.

"It look's like you guy's already have company." Louie said.

         Joe nodded in agreement as Kim waited in the Blazer while the guy's talked. Kim knew that he was being hospitable, to turn any of your own people away would be considered rude and unwelcoming. At that point it would be rude of them to refuse now. So, they stayed the night. Steve's two younger daughter's quietly found sleeping quarters in the basement, leaving their room available for guest's. Sara, Steve's wife had never said a word to them, they knew how to conduct themselves already when company was visiting. She had been visiting him at the hospital and gave everyone the latest new's, and Steve definitely would be coming home tomorrow. Sara and the girls worked on dinner. Shortly, Steve's mother came over too, and several other old women with her. They were all set to eat, and the old ones ate first at the table as alway's done. Hot soup was served, along with a huge bowl of squash, plates of fry bread, and bowls of wojapi.

         Once the old women finished eating they all retreated to the smaller table in the kitchen, and began sewing together scraps of material to make a star quilt. Next came the visitors, and there were several including Kim, Louie and Joe, and all sat down to dinner. The soup felt warm and good going down, and the huge bowl of squash was never ending. Her favorite of all was the fry bread and wojapi. Wojapi is a thick sweet pudding made out of choke cherries. It had been over a year since she had had any and enjoyed every bite of it. This was the most food she had eaten in months, which also surprised her. She had an appetite, that was unusual considering all the medication she was taking, she hardly ever felt hungry anymore.


          Steve's young nephew who was fifteen entertained everyone after the younger kids ate. Games were played, and Kevin insisted that Kim played too. They sat and played hand after hand of crazy eights, and rummy until way past midnight. Louie told Sara that they would all go into Yankton tomorrow, while they picked Steve up at the hospital, we would go get some food to bring back to share. They all played cards until almost 2am.

         The next morning they drove into Yankton and picked up some canned goods, and fresh vegetables for soup, and several bottles of water. By the time they returned to the house, Steve was already home, sitting in the living room in his wheel chair. Kim remembered when he had both leg's, but had lost one to diabetes the same as her mother had. The first thing he said when they walked in the house was,

"Welcome, good to see you, come on in and sit and talk."

         Kim sat and talked, she told him that they would be leaving the next day and they didn't know that he had been sick. Steve adamantly refused.

"No, stay, visit, besides, Grandfather Wallace will be coming tomorrow and you will be able to see him too."

         Two medicine men in one house! That was something that didn't happen too often. To refuse would be rude so she said they would stay another day.

         The next morning, they went back into Yankton to pick up more drinking water and some fresh vegetable's for todays dinner of soup, and a few more fresh squash's. Louie also got a large sack of flour, and fresh milk for the kid's. When they returned, they were met by the old tall man known as Grandfather Wallace. As soon as they walked through the door he stood up and shook each hand with a huge smile. Kim had met him year's ago when she was around 7 or 8 when she went to a ceremony with her father and two older sisters. He spoke up right away,

"Come on in and watch TV. The boy's are looking for a football game."

         Kim sat, and she kept silent until spoken to by this elder. Grandfather Wallace was a legend among their people and the most strongest medicine man of all. He had alway's been highly respected by everyone. She also noticed that his daughter, two singers and a drummer came with him. This meant one thing. There would be a lodge tonight, and for the next three night's to come.

         The sixty degree South Dakota weather was about to change and get colder. That afternoon, she helped the old women sew scraps of material together for their star quilt. The older kid's brought in armfuls of firewood for the wood stove that sat between the open kitchen and living room. The weather had said that the temperature was due to drop rapidly to a low of thirteen below zero by night. That wasn't surprising, it was typical South Dakota weather and changed from one extreme to the other with nothing in-between usually.

         Soon it was after 6pm and dinner was once again being served up. The hot soup, the huge endless bowl of squash, fry bread and wojapi was served up. The same eating sequence started all over again. More people showed up, soon there were over forty people all gathered in the house. It was a good time for making new friends, meeting new people, and getting reacquainted with old friends again. Within an hour it was as if everyone there had known the other a lifetime.

         Right after the younger men and boys finished their meal, they began to take turns going outside to start a fire and heat the rocks for the lodge. As all the people talked and visited, and the kid' played, Grandfather Wallace pulled up a chair across from the wood burning stove. Almost immediately, a hush came over the house as he began to speak. Kim sat on the sofa, along with Grandfather Wallace's daughter and a few other younger women. Louie sat in the chair across from her and Joe sat on a wooden chair he pulled in off the back porch and sat next to Louie. All elders are called Grandfather or Grandmother and a very old elder isn't called anything else.

         The small kid's gathered on the floor near his feet, the old women and men sat at the bigger table, and others at the table in the kitchen still piecing their scraps of material. As Grandfather Wallace spoke, all ear's and eye's were on him. He began to speak of when the first bow was made, and out of what wood. How the arrow's were made so straight and hand made arrow heads were attached and made. He spoke of the old story robes that the tribe story keeper would alway's make to record special events that happened each year. As Kim listened, she remembered many of the old stories being told now that she had heard as a young girl growing up. He continued on, telling of how the earth was created, and how the people got here, how they hunted before the arrival of the sunkawakan, the horse. He told the story of the White Buffalo Calf Woman, and how she brought the pipe to the people and taught them how to live and pray. He told of how the tribe had been one big tribe at one time, way before they split off into separate bands. The story of Grandmother Sun, and Grandfather moon and the great thunder-birds of the west.

         Kim watched the eyes and faces on the small children, some just beginning to walk, others a little older. They absorbed every story he told with heightened interest and wonderment. Kim then realized that these stories, were their legends. The legends passed on from one generation to the next. The same legends that her own parents and grand parents had heard growing up and passed on to their children. The Legend's her ancestor's heard from their ancestor's for hundred's and hundred's of years. These were the stories that came from the heart and spirit of all the people, and had been told for thousands of years. Some, even lived through newer legend's, creating them to record everything that made our people who we are and what we are today.

         The young men and boys who came inside to warm up between watching the fire and heating the rocks would settle on the arm of a chair to listen. She realized that it was the old stories like these, passed on through every single person over time made each story an important one. Each held its own lessons and humor, sadness and happiness.

         One important story that caught her attention that night was the story about every tribe and band having its own story teller. Through out time, every so often a new one was chosen to memorize and retell every story many times over. It was done so they would never be forgotten. Some bands had women story tellers, some had men, and each one was responsible for keeping a story robe. When the story teller became old, they would choose a new teller and pass on the story robe to them. Grandfather Wallace then spoke of the meeting of two teenager's. A boy and a girl, both were from different bands and one summer during the gathering of all the bands they had met. They had become good friends and the elders were pleased that the two took a liking to each other. One year an old woman decided to play matchmaker, and at the next summer gathering she would speak to the parents of each and try to arrange a marriage. To think! Two story tellers in one place, together. It was something that never happened before. The old woman plotted and schemed. She got the relatives of the young man and young woman to encourage their courtship. The relatives laughed at the old woman and told her that something like that would never happen, that it was crazy thinking. The old woman felt bad, so she fasted for three days and prayed. She smudged her lodge and herself and anyone else who came near her.

         On the night of the third day of her fasting, she felt weak and decided to give up and went to sleep. Very late at night she awoke hearing a flute playing and peered out of her lodge flap assuming it was two other young lover's and the boy was calling the girl out. If she came out with a blanket it meant that she would accept a courtship with the young man when she wrapped the blanket around them. To the old woman's surprise, it was the young man story teller and he was playing his flute outside of the young woman's lodge. She watched excitedly to see if the young woman story teller would come out with her blanket. Soon, the young woman did come out and she wrapped the blanket around them. The old woman was so delighted at what she saw, and slipped back closing her lodge flap as the two stood alone and whispered to each other in the late night hours.

         The next morning the old woman was the first one up and ran through the village of a thousand lodges to spread the news of what she had witnessed the night before. All the people laughed and told the old woman to be quiet, that it would never happen, and she had been dreaming. The sound of thundering hooves made by twenty horse's came running through the lodges straight for the young woman's parent's lodge. Behind them came the young man story teller. They watched in silence as the young woman came out of her lodge with her father and mother. The horses were a gift to the girls father and he asked his permission to make her his wife. At that moment the father shoo'd the young woman back inside the lodge with her mother while he thought this over. No one said a word, awaiting to see what the father would say. Soon he raised his head and agreed to let the young man story teller court and wed his daughter. That morning a legend was born, and has been told ever since. The day was filled with much celebration and food. A year later at the next gathering, the two story tellers were wed and had many children. Each of their children became story tellers and kept story robes for their children and all the children of the tribe.

         Kim smiled hearing this and soon it was time to change and go into the lodge out in the cold wind. The next day she explained to Steve and Grandfather Wallace both that she would have to leave the following day because she told her family that she would be gone less than a week. They both understood, and that night before the next lodge, Grandfather had a healing ceremony for Steve, and all the lights went out in the house and all the visitor's and kids were swept away into the kitchen and quited. Grandfather told Kim to stay sitting on the couch across from Steve's bedroom. The drummers started drumming, and singing started. Many prayers were sung and sage and sweet grass were lit. The boys and men were outside taking care of the nights lodge fire and heating stones, and soon the healing was done and all went out to the lodge.

         The next morning Kim got ready to leave. She spoke with Grandfather Wallace and gave him a gift of a hand quilled pouch. Grandfather Wallace told her that she would be well in three months time. She wasn't sure how he knew that, but after the past couple of days she had already started feeling much better than she had. She knew she would never be a hundred percent the same as she was before she got so sick, but she would not stop trying.

         A few years later, Kim was home just surfing around on her computer as usual and came across a very different website. The website was called stories.com. She immediately registered and couldn't wait to see what was all there. She soon started putting a few things that she wrote herself in her own port and began to write more and more. A few weeks ago, after this years convention, she had heard the news that two very special people were now engaged. The StoryMaster and the The StoryMistress . She did not know them well, but knew they were both story tellers. She smiled and now sat back and awaited another legend being made.

         Kim learned that every writer, and anyone who tells a story passes on their own legends. Every race, every culture, every country, and every person keeps their legends alive to all who listen to them and read them. This is the true story behind the story, for these are the legend makers of the world.

*Star*~The End~*Star*




*Bullet*BlueThunder*Bullet*


BlueThunder Sig

RAOK group sig.

~~Image #4000 Sharing Restricted~~
© Copyright 2003 BlueThunder (bluethunder at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/747829-The-Legend-Makers