*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/758057-The-Strangers-Clothes
Rated: E · Short Story · Inspirational · #758057
Sometimes other things are more apppealing than what he already have.
There once came upon a small town a bright day, when the flowers were particularly beautiful, the trees were so much the taller, and the sky was as clear as the purest of spring waters. Upon such a day, there was need for some bit of celebration, and so a local merchant had taken it upon himself to declare a sale on his clothing merchandise. Surely with such beautiful weather, the town's folk would enjoy a change in clothing.

A stranger to the town happened upon the shop and set about to discover a new fashion at such an opportune time with such a magnificent sale. He strode into the small shop and loitered about until the shopkeeper made his way to offer help to the man.

"May I help you locate something special?" inquired the shopkeeper with a warm smile across his face.

"The hat over there on that rack -- the tall black one with the silvery shimmer in the light. How much is it?"

"Why, you have excellent taste, my fellow! That particular hat is on sale today for only the price of your shirt." He was still smiling.

The stranger searched within the shop keeper's face for some clue as to his comment and as to whether he was truly serious. "My shirt? Are you mad? Tell me, what is the true price, and I have no time for dalliance."

The shopkeeper pulled his head back and squenched his nose against his glasses as to better look at the stranger in surprise for his accusations. "Why, I have no need for dalliance, sir. The price is as I stated, most assuredly. A shirt is not too much to ask for such a fine hat."

At this, the stranger was aggravated, but undeterred enough to continue his shopping. "Alright. If you must continue with this nonsense, then I will have to locate a nice shirt. I would look ridiculous wandering about town with a brilliant hat and no shirt. I warn you, though, I am wearing thin on patience and have no more time for your games. Where are your fine silken shirts?"

"Oh, sir, if you don't mind my saying so, if your appearance with the hat is of concern, it needn't be. You would not look ridiculous without your shirt, and I could save you some of your hard-earned wages. You see, the hat comes with these two splendid gloves." The shopkeeper held up two gloves, which were slightly soiled and which were both intended for the left hand alone.

The stranger beheld the gloves in his hands both timidly and with shock. He dropped the to be held between his index finger and thumb as if they were a rodent he had caught by the tail. His face turned to anger. "I do not want these gloves. How awful of you to try and force your flawed merchandise upon a stranger in return for patronizing your store. You keep these dirty gloves and point to the fine silken shirts, you fool!"

"Oh, no sir. The gloves come with the hat as I explained. You must take the gloves if you desire to purchase the hat."

"Fine!" exclaimed the stranger. "Just tell me where to find the shirts!"

The shopkeeper, holding onto his composure as best he could, forced out a smile and reached deep within a shelf to pull out a shirt that gleamed so brightly in white that it was nearly blinding. "This is my finest shirt. It is pure silk, and as you can see, it shines brightly in the sun. It also glows with the warmth it gathers from the moon at night."

The stranger was so enamored with the beauty of the shirt that he softened his demeanor in lust for it. "It is the most beautiful shirt I have ever seen. I must have it at once."

"Excellent choice, sir. May I have your pants, please?" The shop keeper extended his hand in offer to receive payment.

"Sir! I have lost my patience with you. Your tricks may have been intended as playfulness, but they have fallen upon stern ears! You will not have my pants, nor my shirt, nor will you receive my patronage. Not now, nor in the future! Take back you hat and gloves. I do not wish to purchase them." He turned to storm out of the shop when the shop keeper halted his progress by grabbing the stranger's arm.

"I did not mean to offend you, sir. I am merely attempting to make a transaction. Please. Allow me to make this misunderstanding up to you. I do not wish you to leave here without knowing that my full intentions are to satisfy your desires. Will you afford me the opportunity to offer you something?"

The stranger timidly slowed and turned to look the shop keeper in the eyes. "What is it you intend to offer me?" he barked out sternly.

The shopkeeper held out a pair of worn shoes that had large holes in the soles and smelled of an odor which was undescribable. "May I give you these shoes with the purchase of the shirt?"

The stranger grabbed the shoes from the shop keeper's hands and without saying a word threw them into a glass case, holding various personal wares. He drew back his hand into a fist and shook it in the air behind him, waiting for the shop keeper to give a final remark just to set him off.

The shop keeper, although afraid of the strong stranger's might, managed a forcibly warm composure. "Sir. It seems obvious to me, but if you do not like the things which come with the clothes you desire or the price you pay for them, then why not simply wear the ones you have?"

The answer hit the stranger with a blow so hard that it could not have been more damaging if the shopkeeper had used an iron hammer. He dropped his fist, slumped his shoulders, and strode slowly out of the store to forever wonder what he might be like in other clothes.
© Copyright 2003 Elwood∞ (dchabino at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/758057-The-Strangers-Clothes