*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/768669-Eternal
Rated: E · Short Story · Death · #768669
'Til death do us part...
The lady in black stepped through the mist and appeared in the cemetery. She wore a hat with attached veil covering her face. The dress fitted her torso tightly and the skirt flared out at her waist, falling to the ground. The full skirt moved with each step. A red rose was held low in both hands in front of her.

She meandered down the moss-covered stone pathway by the light of the full moon. The scattered leaves danced in the wind around her petite form. The wind whistled through the trees. An owl screeched into the night, breaking the silence.

The woman stopped in front of a grave and knelt down on the earth. She placed the rose in front of the stone. A delicate hand pressed her lips and delivered a kiss to the headstone. The lady’s shoulders rose and fell as she mourned alone in the darkness.

The ground beneath her had the start of new grass. Her grieving eyes neglected to see the newly laid soil to her right, nor the stone bearing her name.

The ghost rose from the grave of her lover. She blew one last kiss before she turned and started back down the path, leaving behind the red rose. Her ethereal shape faded into the night.
© Copyright 2003 Enchantress MysticJoy (mysticjoy at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/768669-Eternal