*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/771133-Darkness-Breathes
Rated: 13+ · Novel · Gothic · #771133
This is my baby that started me writing. Unfortunetly 2yrs of writers block halted it.
Author's Note: I just copied the text straight from word, so please forgive any funky line separations and such.

Darkness Breathes
In the dark everyone is stripped of their comforts, their "security blankets", their very being. The daily façade we cast to the outside world in order to pretend that we really do care, that we really do tell the truth and are honest to one another melts slowly into the night. All that is left is darkness, and the soul is naked to it.
The darkness surrounds us; never can we escape from it. It swallows us wholly in its infinite depths. Darkness cannot be described in terms of good or bad, right or wrong, yet it is black…not white.
We fear the dark not because of things we cannot see in it, but because it is the only true reflection of the soul. We are naked and vulnerable to ourselves surrounded by the blackness. The darkness is nothing, but it touches everything like a cold finger reminding us in its eternal presence that man faces his own judgement each night. The darkness lives, the darkness sees, The darkness…Breathes.



Prelude to Darkness
Imagine if you would, a place folded in time, molded by magic. A forsaken world neglected by its creator and forgotten by the light. A natural, organic world once thriving with vegetation and life now lying bleak and grey. On the edge the land jagged edges of towering mountains with peaks that loom above the clouds like evil cathedrals in the sky. Thickly woven across the mountainside is a forest blanketed in mist in which no inhabitant of this world dare ventures for the beasts are many and just as fearsome.
Lying between two connecting ranges of mountains is the kingdom of Taria. Teeming with life it is a place a fairy tales forgotten. Narrow alleyways wind through the city connecting its various marketplaces and districts. Happiness is not a luxuary afforded by its citizens as they work endlessly to just provide for themselves and their family, yet hope is the secret wish weighing heavily on every heart. Hope that someday, someday the Creator that has forsaken them shall return gloriously to rule with wisdom and light. Still, in all of this misery one other thing still has not faded.
Love still remains. Even to those who seem to be without hearts. Each person deep within, though some deny it, still holds something sacred in their soul. Maybe a child, a wife, or even material things, but love still remains.
Not all love though is a source of warmth or pleasure. Sometimes love is that endless source of pain from losing what one loves dearest.
Within Taria, one such soul knows this pain all too well. Though his is even greater for he feels something beyond love for his beloved. Now his soul is doomed to eternal darkness filled not with hate, but with mourning; not with fury, but with a sorrow no being could bear. To be with his only true soulmate is his only desire.
A nomad is he, but streets are not where he wanders. Alive is he, but lifeless to the light. Forgotten is he, but forgotten he has not. In love is he, but from his love he is separated.
Thus, begins our fairy tale.
Once upon a time...

Part One: DUSK
1
The bells chimed in the thick air as the people scurried about around the street. The cathedral was ancient even to those who were ancient themselves. It was the centerpiece of the city. A symbol not of religion, but of a past forgotten. Now it just stood there competing with time itself to see which could endure longer.
It was gothic. Ominous in appearance. Its flying buttresses spreading out like a bat out of hell. The earthy tones of its walls seemed almost organic in nature as if placing a hand on its surface would lend the sensation of placing your hand on a persons chest feeling them breathe, their heart beat. Many had never bothered to lay a hand on its walls for fear of being correct in their assumption.
At the front of the cathedral two towers stretched towards the sky so that they were visible any where in the city and even beyond. The uniqueness of the towers was in their design. Each cast out an outstretched wing wrapping towards the front of the cathedral creating a frightful, yet somewhat calming affect in contrast with the rest of its features. Set atop the towers however, twisted spires shot up into the heavens as if to threaten any angels that might dare set wing upon them as if the cathedral itself were the jealous protector of its people with its nurturing wings.
The steps leading into the structure itself spread out in a rather large crescent shape following parallel the wings. In the center above the steps a gigantic roseary window with luminous colors and complex shapes and distorted figures watched the city like a one eyed hag. On either side of the magnificent glass were relief carvings of mythical beasts in epic battles which based themselves in the generations of folklore told and retold by the kingdom’s people.
The cathedral functioned in several capacities. Not only as a worship place (which it was hardly, if ever, used for as nearly all citizens were more concerned with just earning enough for a daily loaf of bread let alone finding anything to “praise”), but also plainly as a symbol for the kingdom. A place that had withstood time. A connection to Taria’s once untainted past. Moreover, and most importantly for the drudges of society it served as a place of sanctuary.
* * *
She had her own reasons for coming here. As she glared around the archways inside the dank halls she was beginning to have second thoughts of why she was here. It all had seemed like a dream, but when she asked around, people only pointed her to this place as a place to hide and forget.
As she was guided down the hallway there was a distinct smell lingering among the heavy air. She could hear sobs and moans within the walls and chambers throughout the corridor. As she traveled down the hall she walked past countless lonesome souls sitting against the mortar walls, crying, contemplating, slowly dying. She could feel many pairs of eyes staring at her, through her, from door panels, dark corners and from the mezzanine above.
Outcasts were also sent here. The only acceptable place in a world that would not accept them. It seemed to be a prison of sorts, but a voluntary and often necessary one for those who chose it.
"This is where you will stay." Said the lady maiden
Fairih just nodded in recognition. The maiden seemed not to care whether or not they made conversation or made even the slightest motion at politeness, neither of which was Fairih surprised.
"Here are your clothes," the maiden droned on in a shallow voice, "You will only wear these. Anything else is forbidden. You will be expected down in the hall promptly at dusk…" The maiden looked at Fairih and snorted, "Mother Superior wants to see you " And with quick twist the maiden closed the door to Fairih's room.
She wondered momentarily what the maiden had meant, but decided it really didn't matter either way since she was here for good. Her deep brown eyes roamed around the room as she pulled her long dark hair back past her shoulders. It was almost what she had expected, and in a strange sort of way what she had wanted.
Everything was very plain. The room was made of dark bricks. A single, simple cot lay in the corner with one dresser for clothes, and a desk. A small round window let in little light and offered a view of only the gray sky. It wasn't cold in the room, but just looking in there made you have the chills.
She sighed softly to herself and sat down on the cot. Slowly she undressed and put on her new uniform. It was a simple piece of cloth with no lining at the neck or arms. It hung on her tiny frame. Its only purpose to cover the body, nothing more, nothing less.
A small rap came at the door.
"Hello?" a small voice said.
"Yes." Replied Fairih in a harsh tone.
"Oh, excuse me. I just wanted to introduce myself since we're just right across the hall from each other." A tiny face peered through the door.
Fairih stood there for a moment then sighed. She supposed if she was going to stay here it wouldn't hurt for her to get along with the others.
"That's alright, come in." she said
The tiny face brightened and a young child-like woman hopped through the door.
"Hello!' out shot a hand, "I'm Kaheeko! But you can call me Kay." She smiled brightly as if not a worry in the world could slap it off her face. Fairih wanted to.
But Fairih remained calm; the harshness in her soul she knew was just gut instinct from years of being alone in the world.
"I'm Fairih, Fairih Irvia." She forced a smile and finally took the small hand to give it a gentle shake.
Kaheeko's features seemed to take her in for a moment. She felt a sudden sense of calmness, as if her soul brightened for a moment. Kaheeko looked no older than a child of 10 or 11, with golden hair flowing and a bright smile that accented her eyes as they shined as if she knew something about life Fairih did not. Her complex was fair and matched the innocence on her face. She was trim and proper and seemed the kind that would bring joy to those around her, whether they wanted it or not.
Fairih noticed she wore slightly different clothing than the outfit Fairih had received. It was the same frock, but with a small embroidered symbol on the sleeve. Kaheeko noticed her interest in the design and pointed at it.
"You're wondering what this is?" Kaheeko asked smiling
Fairih nodded.
"Well, here take a closer look." Kaheeko moved forward and turned so that Fairih could see better.
Fairih traced her fingertips along the design. It was a ring of seven P shaped figures. All in a beautiful red and gold thread interlocking with each other.
"They're like little P's," she said stating the obvious, then feeling slightly silly afterward.
Kaheeko nodded. "Yes, eight to be exact. We that are trained in the healing skills of magick use it as our symbol."
Fairih looked at her puzzled.
"Eight? I only see seven."
"Look closer," Kaheeko told her slyly.
Surely enough, with a second glance Fairih noticed an eighth figure, but it was not interlocked with the rest. It stood in the center of the interlocking others somewhat hidden.
She looked back up at Kaheeko.
"What do those mean?" she asked
Kaheeko just stared at her for a moment.
"What does it mean? Haven't you ever heard of the sins?" she looked at Fairih in disbelief. "They are deadly to the soul. Not that anyone in this world really cares about them anymore."
Fairih nodded, her anger again rising.
"Well of course I have, I'm not stupid!" she snapped, to think that anyone wasn't at least somewhat familiar with the sins. They were elementary knowledge.
"But there are only seven of the deadly sins, what does the eighth P shape symbolize is what I mean."
Kaheeko seemed taken aback momentarily then blushed.
"Oh, sorry…I..I should have known. I hope you don't think I believe you are that naïve, of course you've heard of them."
A horn sounded from a distance, but in a low enough tone that Fairih could feel the bass tickle within her chest. She looked around confused.
"What the hell was that?" she said aloud.
Kaheeko giggled. "That was the dinner horn. Are you hungry?"
Fairih had just noticed the small pit growing in her stomach. It had been some time since she had eaten, and she nodded to Kaheeko to lead the way.
Kaheeko began leading down the same corridor she had entered in, but then took one of the archways out into a large courtyard. Fairih still felt uncomfortable in the presence of the ancient cathedral. The sky was still dark, as it seemed to always be. Weeds and wild grass grew tall in the unkept yard. Fountains were dry and water stained with rust colored marks flowing down the sides as if a wound were opened and blood had flowed out. Statues stood ominously in rows along each side where they walked. Most were missing pieces or arms, legs, or even their faces, and they seemed to call out to Fairih in pain, as they stood lifeless for eternity. Vines grew up the sidewalls like veins in an old street woman's hands, twisted and knotted along the huge bricks that made up the ancient building.
Soon they came upon the other side of the courtyard. Fairih felt an odd sensation of relief, and made a mental note to find a long way around within the cathedral to enter the dining area. Another large archway held the entrance to their destination. Suddenly fairih shivered and felt a chill run through her body. She looked back over her shoulder as if someone was watching her.
"Everything Ok?" Kaheeko asked her puzzled.
Fairih made one last glance around the courtyard and nodded.
"Yea…Yea, everything's fine." And she stepped back through the archway. Kaheeko followed in right after her aware of the presence fairih had sensed.
Up above the courtyard on a stone balcony two dark eyes had peered out into the open, curious of the new visitor.
2
Dark Behold
"Are you sure this new one is ready for that kind of task?" The maiden asked Mother Superior.
Mother superior sighed as she gazed through the dusty multicolored glass. She noticed how dingy and grimy it had looked, she felt about the same.
Slowly she nodded. "Yes, I think she would be right." And then she sighed and turned to the maiden.
"I don't know how much longer we can wait. We must feel pity for his soul, and he deserves our sympathy. I can hardly imagine what it could be like to spend eternity without at least one person to confide in or even make simple conversation with."
The maiden scoffed on the inside. Our pity she thought. He deserves whatever it is he has received. She had no idea what his sin was, but Talus had spoke enough of him to hardly make her feel pity. Everyone here was unworthy of even being dignified that they were alive in the first place according to Talus, and she believed him. The only reason she was here was to please her mother, a member of the elite.
The Maiden felt every moment she was here, and counted down each second until her service was up. Besides, it was the duty of all the elite class to serve the lowers at some time in their life. Supposedly it was supposed to teach them humbleness, what a cruel hoax. At least Talus understood her.
"Yes mother superior, I realize what you say, but do you not think it wise to at least let her know exactly what it is she will be doing? And what about Talus? Should not he be aware of this decision?"
The maiden knew she must tell this news to Talus as quickly as she could. She knew he would not want anyone comforting such a horrible sinner.
Mother superior again nodded.
" Bring her here. I shall at least tell her that she shall be care taking of another." Mother Superior wrung her hands slowly together and looked worrisome at the maiden.
"But she does not need to know his condition until absolutely necessary. As for Talus, leave that to me." She stressed sternly.
The maiden bowed, turned and exited with a slight grin upon her face as she followed the corridor down to Fairih's quarter's.
* * *
Fairih lay down on her small cot. She felt like cat napping for a short time after what they had said was dinner. A disagreeable sensation came over her stomach as she tried not to recall exactly what it was she had eaten. She wrinkled her nose slightly as her tongue ran along her teeth trying to wipe off the grisly coating left on her teeth. She realized she shouldn't be too ungrateful, after all it was a meal.
She turned slightly on her side and closed her eyes recalling over the day. Fairih's fingers wandered across the small talisman that rested on her neck. For a moment she looked at its features. It hung on her from a thin silver chain. The talisman was circular and laid flat against her chest. She had always thought it odd. It was made of two different stones. An outer circle that consisted of onyx that surrounded and inner circle that looked to be opal. Fairih couldn't quite recall how she came about owning the talisman, or for how long she had it, but it seemed like an old friend to her. She sighed tiredly and laid back against her pillow thinking of the day.
Though it was a new sensation and would take some getting used to she was overall glad that she had come here. Her heart lightened at the thought that Kaheeko could turn out too possibly be a friend, Fairih's first ever. She smiled gently at the thought, and thought of Kaheeko. The interlocking P's suddenly flashed into her mind's eye.
She traced along its pattern in her mind. Its intricacies wear astounding. And the eighth P, Yes, the eighth one. Fairih had forgotten to ask Kaheeko to explain the meaning of that one.
A gentle knock came at the door that startled her as she pondered away the meaning.
"Ye..Yes, What is it?" she called out.
"Mother Superior demands your presence now." The maiden said flatly.
Fairih just looked at the door momentarily and took a deep breathe. Slowly she pulled herself from the cot, straightened her frock and proceeded to the doorway.
* * *
Fairih hadn't realized until she started walking the long halls of the cathedral, but she was scared. Scared of what she didn't know. But the words of the maiden began to sink in. Special job didn't have a very friendly or enjoyable ring to it. A chill ran through her body, and her knees began to shake the further they walked, realizing she was ever closer to her fate.
Soon her and the maiden reached their destination. Tall wooden doors stood before them, fairih's eyes began searching all over the doors. It was confusing at first, the flicker of lights from torches lining the hallways played with shadows along the forms on the entrance, but Fairih walked closer to the doors and noticed they were covered with Bas-Releif panels. A slight gasp trembled from her lips as scenes of horror and torture lie before her.
There were eight panels, her eyes wandered each one closely and her fingertips ran along each one to reassure her that the creatures on the panels were just made of wood. Each one was frightenly realistic as if they seemed to move with the shadows to fully illustrate their message. The maiden stood back and grinned, allowing Fairih to take her time with the releifs.
Each panel had a small plate near the bottom naming a sin. Fairih knew immediately these were depictions of punishment for committing the sins, as was according to ancient tradition. Punishments that had been long forgotten or cared about in Taria.
The first one was Pride. Several demonic faces surrounded some kind of device that had a man strapped to it. Fairih could make out the streams of blood running down his ankles and wrists from where the ropes tying him down were cutting into him. An expression of pain that made a tear cross her cheek was frozen on his face. She could see that his abdomen was stretched and bloated, as if he was about to be pulled apart on the giant wheel machine by the demons. Behind the demons stood a line of sinners that seemed to go back endlessly into the frame. She looked away, but continued on to the next panel.
It was titled Envy. It looked more like a landscape portrait. Mountains cascaded in the background and it seemed to be snowing. Small flakes danced in the air and the ground seemed to be deeply covered in the frozen rain. A giant lake was in the foreground, again with demons, but this time with wings flying just above the water. In their talons they held their victims, nude and screaming out to anyone that could hear them. The demons held them low enough in the water to cover their waists. Fairih looked closer and saw that marks reached out of the water as if their bodies were crystallizing and freezing. Fairih held her hand to her mouth and stood back to see the following panel.
The third one was titled Anger. The landscape seemed barren, as if in the middle of a wasteland. Many demons filled all parts of the relief, flying, standing, laughing. Hundreds of people, male and female opened their mouths in silent screams and reached out from the relief in sheer fright. The demons had long curved swords in their claws and seemed to be swooping down towards the crowds of people cutting into, and through them. Many parts of bodies lie scattered across the foreground and a small stream of blood seemed to flow off the panel.
Both of Fairih's eyes were streaming tears now.
Her eyes fixed on the fourth panel. Titled Sloth. A pit had been carved into this one, as if the viewer were looking straight down into it. Demons and foul beasts lined the rim of the pit and a line of people came from one side. Some of the demons were holding onto a few of the screaming tortured souls. Other beasts threw in their victims laughing and cackling in pleasure. Inside the pit resided large snakes. Not the average ones Fairih had ever seen, but unholy snakes. Some of them with two or more heads. Large ungodly fangs jutted out into their victims flesh and others hissed at the observer just for watching them. She shivered and pulled her frock tight around herself.
The fifth panel offered no relief for the sinners. It was Greed. Hundreds of cauldrons from near in the foreground to what seemed to be miles into the background covered the panel. Steam and fire flew into the air high above the cauldrons making the appearance of an unbearable heat. A host of demons each appeared to be responsible for their own cauldron. Several bent over to stoke the fire hotter.
Others with wings carried ever more of the frightened sinners above the cauldrons, while other demons had already dropped their victims in. Fairih could see at the tops of some cauldrons a few scratching to get out. Their flesh burnt and boiled away, their skin melted. Other demons along the sides kept spears and prodded them back down inside the human broth.
She came along the sixth panel. Lust was written scornfully along its title plate. This one depicted what Fairih had always pictured the true hell to be in her mind. Piles of screaming sinners tangled amongst themselves in a collective torture filled the panel. They seemed to all be in some kind of cave. Stalagtites and rocks jutted sharply from the ground cutting deeply into those closest to them. A horde of demons flew above the waste piles carrying large cauldrons of red hot brimstone, and pouring them out as they flew by. Other demons had spear like weapons in they're hands, but lit with fire on the tips. They blew into them and created a small firestorm at the back of the crowds, smothering them in flames. The tortured faces reached out to Fairih, she could not take anymore, but her eyes would not allow her to stop.
The seventh Panel brought her to the sin of Gluttony. Fairih covered her mouth again and held her stomach as she resisted the reaction to heave from gazing at the panel. Along in a swampland where flat tables where the sinners lie. Each one heavily overweight, their stomachs overly puffed out as if ready to burst. Alongside the sinners where two demons. One with a bucket next to him full of dead rats, small toads, and snakes along with other smaller foul beasts. Gripping a handful at a time the demons where shoving the small creatures into the throats of their hostages. Another demon carried a small wooden stick with a flat disk on the end of it, and after the others had stuffed the victim's mouth the he took over shoving down the macabre meal down their throats with the stick. Fairih looked pale and was nauseated by the scene and turned away.
Her eyes looked away, but then a realization came upon her and she looked over towards the maiden. The maiden quickly turned her head and stared back down the corridor. Fairih turned slowly back towards the door and knelt down to the eighth panel.
"Eight." She whispered to herself.
Again she allowed her fingers to roam freely along the panel. She looked to the title plate and for a moment she thought she could read the title, but then it was lost in her mind. The letters seemed to meld and float freely around, changing. Every time she swore she knew what it said she immediately would forget. She shook her head slowly as the illusion began a sudden pain in the back of her head. Slowly she leaned back some to look at the panel itself. It seemed newer than the other's, not quite as old, as if it was carved much later.
She saw nothing. At least at first she didn't. Then, as she looked at it closer she noticed what seemed to be the depiction of rays, like light in the top corner. She wondered for a moment what it had meant. In the opposite corner away from the rays she noticed one side that seemed to outline a cloaked figure, as if the light did not reflect its image.
"As if seven weren't went enough, hmm?" the maiden said slyly and huffed.
The maiden walked towards the doors and Fairih stood. The maiden tapped twice on the large door and the proceeded to open it, standing slightly in the chamber.
"Fairih Irvia, the newcomer you requested." She said in a bored tone.
A low voice from the inside told the maiden to send fairih into the chamber. The maiden motioned her and let out a slight sigh. Fairih stumbled trying to reach the door, she blushed and then walked inside. The maiden closed the door behind them and Fairih heard her footsteps tapping heavily away down the hall.
Fairih's attention drifted to the far side of the room behind a heavy wooden desk that was scratched and scarred from many years of use. The room was dusty, unkempt. Cobwebs lined each corner and she could here the slight scattering of rats within the walls. The room was piled with books, fallen pictures, and various trinkets. A slight stench of mold seemed to perfectly fit the room.
Standing in a large arched window was a small dainty figure of a woman. She was turned away from Fairih and said nothing for quite some time. She had brilliant silver hair with streaks of black, and wore a similar frock like that of fairih's except that hers was a white with red trim on the arms.
"Please sit." Mother superior spoke in a soft tone.
Fairih obliged and sat in the large chair in front of her desk. Nervously she waited for the elder one to speak. Slowly Mother superior finally turned towards her. Her features seemed a strange mix between a pure, gentle, woman and a decrepid old hag. As she sat Fairih noticed her reach for the chair, her hands were smooth like that of a young lady. A tell tale sign that she had practiced many years of white magick. Fairih breathed a sigh of releif inside as she now knew this woman would mean her no harm.
Mother superior gave Fairih a warm smile. And began to speak in a gentle, welcoming tone.
"Are you comfortable here so far my dear?"
"Oh, yes. It will of course take some time to get used to the new surrounding and to learn where everyth…"
"Good, I'm happy for you." Mother superior cut in.
Fairih realized that she was not invited for idle conversation or pleasantries.
"Although we take in what the world may not, we do so expecting that each person will perform a duty. Some tasks are simple, others are not. Depending on the person and whether or not they use magick we may assign anything from simple chores to the teaching of magick to a new breed." Mother superior had rehearsed this speech before, and had spoken it many times, but her voice slightly cracked knowing what it was she was assigning Fairih to.
"Although you just arrived, I have a special assignment I would like you to attend to." She said carefully.
The arm hair on Fairih stood straight up with the tone of voice she had taken. Special there it is again, Fairih thought.
Mother superior leaned back gently in her chair and folded her hands. She didn't make eye contact again.
"I'll get straight to the point, it will be best," her voice lowered even more, "We have a…very unique resident here at the cathedral. A gentleman who has been here longer than anyone else here, even me. He resides by himself quietly, as he prefers it in, one of the hidden chambers here. Over my time here I have grown accustomed to him, and consider him somewhat of a friend. So I feel for him as any friend would another, and I know his years alone here have been a struggle for him. This is why I would like to introduce him to someone that could possibly keep him company, hold conversations and learn from him the many things he would have to share." She looked back at Fairih.
Fairih swallowed dryly but did not say anything. Mother superior went on.
"It won't be an everyday assignment mind you, several times a week should suffice. Just something to help him pass the time. I feel like he could use a companion." Her eyes rested on Fairih as if she had no choice in the matter.
Fairih looked at her momentarily and thought about what her time would be like here. Something about the offer excited and scared her. She really didn't care for manual work, and what was the other alternative? Keep some hermit company? Didn't sound terribly hard she thought. If fact, something was compelling made her want to say yes.
She nodded slightly.
"I suppose I could do that. But if you're his friend why don't you keep him company yourself?" she asked.
Mother superior's face lightened somewhat. She looked over at the window and noticed the moon rising in the sky a brilliant blue.
"I have too many details to attend too here my child. Besides, our friendship is more of an understanding of each other than a personal bond," she looked at Fairih tenderly, "You can start tomorrow." She said, knowing it would be best to visit him in the day for Fairih to fully understand her assignment.
"We will begin tomorrow in the early morning. Go now, and get some rest."
Mother superior just kept gazing out the window. Fairih stood up out of the chair and walked back towards the chamber door. Before she exited she was careful to note that the inside of the door was very plain.
As she left back down the hallway to her room she was careful to resist temptation to take a second glance at the panels.
3
Enter the Darkness
A bright light was blinding her. Not so much a light, but just the landscape in general. Not that there was really anything to see. Just a sheer white space that seemed to glow with an ethereal power. It hurt her eyes so much, but she couldn't close them. She looked up to find what could make such an intense light, but when she did she noticed something falling towards her.
It fell slowly, as if floating. Then she noticed another one, and yet another. For a moment she couldn't make out the objects. Closer and closer they came to her until she realized what they were. Large black feathers began to fall around her as if she was caught in a gentle rain of them. She giggled paying no more attention to the light. They tickled her cheeks and nose.
Lan'Nour
Fairih turned quickly though she knew there was no voice, she just felt it.
Lan'Nour
She wrapped her arms around herself. The feathers kept falling.
Lan'Nour
Fairih began to cry. She became lost in a see of darkness, no more light came to her.
"Fairih!" Kaheeko called. "Fairih! Wake up!"
Fairih slowly came too, dazed she looked around to find Kaheeko's worried face hovering above her.
"Why are you crying?" Kaheeko touched her cheek tenderly.
"What?" Fairih still struggled to keep her eyes open.
"I heard you sobbing, so I came in. You have tears streaming down your face. Is everything ok?"
Fairih touched her cheek, it was hot and wet. Suddenly she became enraged. She never cried in front of another before.
"Yes! Yes! I'm fine. It's just hot in here! Who said you could come in anyway! Go Away!" Fairih's temper overran her mouth.
Kaheeko trembled backwards towards the door, on the verge of tears herself.
"I…I was just worried…just..trying to be a friend." Fairih could hear her sob as she crossed the hall back into her room.
A pang of guilt sat in Fairih's chest as she sat up in bed trying to wake. The corner of her eye felt something moving. She turned quickly to find the edge of a shadow disappearing from the corner. She looked around and then up to the window to find the source of such odd movement. Fairih blinked slowly as she passed off the shadow in her mind and recalled the dream.
"Lan'Nour" crossed her lips.
4
Dark Contempt
"Outrage!" he shouted furiously, "That is his punishment and should be forced to live it out, not be sympathized with and coddled too!"
"Talus, if you do not lower your tone with me I shall be forced to lower it for you." Mother superior spoke in a grim, solemn tone.
Talus backed off somewhat for he knew she was a woman of her words. The last time he did not obey her she cast her silence spell on him for three days, thoroughly embarassing him in front of the sinners. Something he did not forget.
"Myrella," he forced his voice to be more even, "He is up there because of his own will, and because we allow him to stay there. I believe we have already made his punishment less of a burden by allowing him to take refuge. I do not see why he needs a companion to make his suffering any more bearable."
Mother superior gazed into his dark eyes. She despised him with all her heart, but he was assigned to run the cathedral along with her by the elite. They had graduated in the same class and rank of sorceror's together. He was always cocky and power hungry even in those days. Talus always thought himself better than what he was truly capable of, and always competing with Myrella at the guild since she was top of her class.
Being two of a very select few that understood and had mastered three of the four magickal elements. She, being trained in the arts of water, earth, and wind made her more powerful in healing spells and therefore more suited to run such a place for lost souls.
Talus though, graduated mastering fire, earth, and wind.
His powers allowing him to act as more of an authoritative figure, casting superior spells that could be used to harm and therefore maintain peace in such a place of shady figures.
The two were partnered to head the cathedral together, but because of her caring nature and healing abilities Myrella took the higher rank, Talus becoming the cathedral's second in command in charge maintaining overall discipline. A position he had always loathed. He felt himself worthy to be an advisor or head sorceror for one of the elite class after he finished at the guild. Yet, because of his arrogance and ruthless ways the elite were afraid to have him to close, being wary Talus might try to establish control over them. They were probably right Myrella thought.
"Talus I hardly doubt we are to make his suffering any more bearable. He has suffered beyond any other human probably in Taria's history. He has been driven to the brink of insanity and yet still has the courage and strength to stay aware of his own soul, his own existence. Being in the condition he is in, that is no small feat indeed. This girl is not offering him anything but mere company. She could never take away an ounce of his suffering." Mother superior watched Talus carefully waiting for his next words to rebuke him.
His eyes always had disturbed her. They were cold and dark. They sunk back deep in there sockets, along with his shallow cheeks and thin pale skin, his features were bony like a skull that had flesh even to repelled by him to stay attached. It was a skull that appeared to float just above his body. An illusion done so by his long white, straggled hair that fell across his shoulders and around his neck, and the equally repugant beard so common to sorcerors of his rank. Yet his was parted so that it gave off the impression of a demon's pitchfork.
He wore a robe like the rest of the members and lost souls at the cathedral, but his was pitch black as if the night itself was used as the dye. Talus preferred looking above the sinners and so wore a thick gold rope around his waist and had his decorated more extravagantly with gold lining around the sleeves.
Myrella knew these decorations were more than likely woven for him by Arachne, the maiden. Arachne had a macabre attraction to him Myrealla knew. She was probably attracted to the illusion of power and prestige that he bathed himself in. It was no secret to Myrella the Arachne hated being at the cathedral, and only desired to be gone and marry well to spend her life in luxary commanding as many servants as possible.
Talus was very good at weaving an aura of prestige around him. In his conceit for power he had collected many rare items and spells through his years as status symbols. Myrella hated each time he came into her presence with his jewels glaring brightly on his fingers and around his neck. She knew though that they served more for covering up his wrinkled and nearly dead hands. Made so by the forces of destructive use of his magick over the years.
Talus looked at Myrella momentarily to speak his case, but clenched his jaw instead. A blue light shot across his eyes in rage before he stood swiftly to leave the room.
Mother superior stared into his back ready for him to turn at any moment to confront her, but the door just shook as he slammed it behind him. She let out a sigh and closed her eyes sinking into the comfort of her chair.
5
Stairway to Fate
Fairih met Mother superior in her chambers just as she had asked in the morning. Mother superior had brought some fruit for Fairih to eat as she waited to be guided to her assignment. Fairih sat in the chair tasting the sweet fruit. Her thoughts wandered to Kaheeko. She hoped the little note she left underneath the door and the purple bloom she had picked off of one of the weeds in the courtyard would help patch things up.
"Are you ready my child?" Mother superior asked.
Fairih got up and turned around to find mother superior beckoning her to follow. Fairih caught up with mother superior and was guided into a back portion of the chamber.
It wasn't much different than the rest of the room, but was hidden out of the way so one could not see it as they entered the main door into the chamber. Everything was covered in a thick layer of dust and the same moldy smell still lingered. A gigantic bed centered the room, it was bigger than fairih's room alone. She realized this was Mother Superiors living quarters. Fairih felt a tinge of envy.
"Come child, we must not keep him waiting."
Fairih kept walking behind her to the other side of the room and then stopped. She noticed there was no door or staircase anywhere.
"Wait a minute here, where the hell are we going? There's no door of any type here. What are you trying to pull?" She looked at mother superior suspiciously.
"Patience my child. Patience." Mother superior said almost irritated.
Mother superior walked over into a far corner and pulled back a tapestry that clung to the wall. Fairih still only noticed brick but kept her mouth shut this time.
Mother superior stood back a few feet, closed her eyes and raised her hands. They began to glow an iridecent yellow. Fairih new that Mother Superior was using magick.
"Otvoren danasji vrata za odredeni clan tama." The preistess spoke with authority to the wall.
Suddenly the bricks began to twist and turn flipping and rolling backwards to either side of the wall. Once they had calmed Fairih felt a cold breeze surround her. She looked into the gap to see the inside of a very large tower. On the floor was a choatic pile of debris and weeds that had gathered over the years. In the center of the tower was a spiral staircase that twisted wickedly upwards into the darkness. Fairih could her a bird's chirp echo from the gap.
Mother superior turned to her with a somber face.
"Ready?" she asked.
Fairih just nodded and stood there for a moment. She was accustomed that there were magick users out there, but it had been a rare occasion that fairih had ever been witness to its use. Gingerly she stepped forward and into the stone abyss.
She looked upwards to see how far the staircase extended. A small gasp escaped her lips as the staircase seemed to continue upward forever into the tower as if they had found a stairway to heaven.
Mother superior just gave her a slight grin and then proceeded without saying a word. Fairih followed faithfully, her legs feeling surreal and apart from her as she climbed.
Mere moments had passed since they had begun climbing when they came upon the top of the spiral and were standing on a small wooden platform in front of a door. Fairih realized this and turned to the railing and gazed down. All she saw was darkness below her, and the stairs again spiraling downwards into unfathomable depths. She quickly turned back to mother superior, but before she could say a word she was silenced by the preistess.
"I know my child," She nodded, "This cathedral is not quite as it seems to the outsider. I will warn you now that this chamber alone time and space will appear to have no meaning."
Fairih just looked at her stupidly for a moment, and then back into the abyss. She sighed softly trying to repress the feelings of fear back down into herself. Fairih looked back to the door. It was rotted and old, not very large. Mother superior pushed on one side of it and a shrill sound moaned from its joints. It had not been opened in some time.
© Copyright 2003 Darkness Breathes (jlister1126 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/771133-Darkness-Breathes