*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/771258-Self-Mutilation-Survey
Rated: 18+ · Other · Emotional · #771258
A survey about self mutilation, what do you think about it. Includes info too.
I would like to start off by saying that I thank you for your time, it means a lot to me. In order to make this work, copy the text and answer the questions sending it either to my stories.com name or deviance191x@yahoo.com. Next I want to apologize for this survey is rather extensive and please feel free to not answer all of it if time will not allow you to, but what you can or want to answer. Some information is always better than no information. With that out of the way I will let you know a little bit about how this thing is going to run. The text with numbers by it are the questions and the text without numbers is information that is meant to provide a better understanding of SMB (self mutilate behaviors). This is a survey not only for those that commit, but those that do not, thereby information are a necessary evil. Feel free to skip over the text, if you do not wish to read it. Also a lot of this information I have previously presented on this page, thereby it may not be useful to read if you have read the other entries. Anyway, the questions are by far more important. With that said, let us get started.

1.) Please, in your own words, define the term Self Mutilation.

2.) Please in your own words elaborate on what you would categorize SMB to be.

In 1988 Walsh and Rosen, to infamous psychologists, introduced one of the first documented definitions for Self Mutilation. They explained SMB to be: "A deliberate non-life threatening self-effected bodily harm, or disfigurement of a socially unacceptable nature." Because of the time, I would assume that this still include the more currently culturally acceptable tattoos and piercing. They also specified that "Self Mutilation is actually counter-intentional to suicide." Describing that they were in fact two separate entities. To emphasize this point, they concluded there to be four major aspects to SMB: Intentional, and thus probably goal-oriented, socially unacceptable, usually non-fatal, and seemingly irrational. Shortly after The University of Missouri-Columbia Medical School offered another definition: "The direct, deliberate destruction or alteration of one's own body tissue without conscious suicidal intent." Thereby trying to include SMB into the behaviors of suicidal individuals. A third definition was introduced in 1989 by Greenspan and Samuel: "An act that superficially scratches the skin due to cutting with sharp objects." This however was thrown out because it reduced self mutilation to simply cutting and eliminated too much. Because of this they offered another definition sitting Self Mutilation as: "A volitional act to harm one's own body without intention of causing death." Another psychologist who failed to exercise their name presented Self Mutilation as: "A suicidal impulse on part of the body instead of the whole body to avoid actual suicide." Therefore stating that the intent was in fact suicidal, however the sufferer did not consciously want to die. As a result of these, Walsh and Rosen presented three differences between suicide and SMB: Lethality, change in affect (a person suffering from SMB feels better after their assault, while a Suicidal individual does not) and mind-set (rarely does an individual of SMB have thought of death and dying).

3.) Which psychologist(s) do you agree with most? Please elaborate.

4.) Should Tattoos and Piercing be included in SMB? Why or why not? And what would you classify as SMB?

5.) Should Suicidal individuals and those whom suffer from SMB be classified in the same category? Why or Why not?

6.) What would word would you call those that suffer from SMB? (If you are a sufferer, what would you call yourself, and is it different? Why?)

7.) What would call their disorder?

The terminology for Self Mutilation is rather broad. It includes but is not limited to: Self Mutilation, Self Cutting, Deliberate Self Harm, etc. The individuals who do Self Mutilate have been termed: Cutters, Wrist Slashes, Self Mutilators, Self Cutters, etc.

8.) How many people would you estimate self mutilates?

9.) Who mutilates? (In your opinion?)

10.) This is only if you suffer from SMB:
a. When did you start? (At what age?)
b. What is your ethnicity?
c. What class is you part of? (Social class)
d. What gender are you?

The numbers of Self Mutilators and who actually cuts has been of great interest to those who study Self Mutilation, for obvious reasons. The University of Missouri-Columbia Medical School offered the numbers: 750 per 100,000 self mutilate to some degree, which equaled out to about 2 million of the population. However, their study stated that it might be higher. B.F. Skinner, one of the most famous behaviorist psychologists not only sited about 3 million as Self Mutilators, but claimed himself to have suffered as well. With that said who are these people? Research has shown that the typical age for Self Mutilation to occur is at the age of 14 intensifying up until the late 20's. Typically a Self Mutilator is white, intelligent, and mid to upper class. They have been said to suffer from compulsive disorders such as bulimia and/or alcoholism as well as from SMB. And are said to have difficulty with verbalization of their emotions, thus resulting in writing or keeping to themselves. While more women are actively seeking treatment than males, boys and girls are equal. Women do have a tendency to seek treatment more often with any psychological abnormality anyway. Plus in prisons both genders mutilate to about the same degree, which has been sited up the 50%.

11.) Would you classify Compulsive disorders and SMB in the same category? Why?

12.) Do you believe that there is a difference in the numbers between genders?

13.) Only if you suffer from SMB:
a. What are you reasons for mutilating?
b. Do you intend to stop?

14.) What would you assume is the number one reason for individuals to Self Mutilate?

While there are multiple reasons to self mutilate, many of the theories have simply been in accordance with history. These theories include: Religious overtones and symbolism (atoning for sins; self purification), angst toward sexuality (sexual identity), experimental and inherent factors, loss of (a) parent(s), childhood illness and/or surgery, witnessing domestic or family violence, peer conflict, intimacy problems, body alienation, impulse control disorders, "bad mother" retaliation (this was specifically endured during the era when bad family theories were prominent and very popular), and Sexual or physical abuse. The last is the most recent study and out of 50-70% of patients being treated for SMB reported sexual abuse. Self-assessed reasons include the reduction of (whether imaginary or real): anxiety, depression, tension, loneliness, feeling of emptiness, guilt, dissociation, flashbacks and obsessive ruminations, feelings of separation, interpersonal conflict, rejection, and abandonment. Self Mutilation, thus, provides a quick fix which could return moments, minutes, hours, days or maybe weeks lateer.

15.) For Self Mutilators only:
a. If your sensations return, how quickly?
c. Have the sensations ever gone away?
d. Have you or are you actively seeking treatment?
e. Do you suffer from any other disorders?

16.) What disorders do you associate SMB with?

17.) Do you think it is possible for the symptoms to just go away? If so, what treatments?

18.) Do you think SMB is a disorder or a symptom of something much more severe?

19.) Do you think that SMB is stress related?

20.) Do social responses matter?

SMB is typically found in conjunction with a few other disorders. It is actually only found in the DSM (diagnostic and statistical manual for abnormal psychology) as a symptom as opposed to a behavior. The most common category it is found a part of is Borderline personality disorder, which also includes suicidal tendencies. Other disorders are dissociative disorders, bipolar II, Post Traumatic Stress disorder, Major Depression, Psychoses (such as schizophrenia), and Anxiety disorders.

The following treatments have been assessed and found un-useful in the treatment of SMB: physical restraint, hypnosis, chemotherapy, no-cutting contracts, faith healing, group psychotherapy, relaxation therapy, electro-compulsive therapy, family therapy, educational therapy, and chiropractic care. To this day there is in fact no treatment found entirely useful in eliminating SMB; however it is more common for an individual to find their own reasons to stop than anything. Clinical psychologists have currently suggested that SMB must be replaced with the development of a new, more benign tension-reduction activity or coping skill in order to resist their initial intentions. This may include using a red pen to simulate cutting. The most common form of a tension-reduction activity is writing, increasing maturity to see words as an appropriate release as opposed to Self Mutilation. Clinicians have also found that if the psychologist/psychiatrist acts disgusted or repulsed that SMB increases. And opposed to popular belief SMB is not deterred by lowering stress levels. Social responses however can have both a positive and negative impact depending on the individual. The most common belief is that SMB has to be treated as a behavior, not a symptom.

21.) What groups have you heard of to help Self Mutilators?

The two most famous groups that involve the help of Self Mutilators are Self-Mutilators Anonymous (New York, 1986) and SAFE (Self-Abuse Finally Ends). SAFE is a 12-step program that focuses on a "no harm contract."

22.) If you have anything else you would like to say or comment please put it here. Feel free to tell your story here if you wish to as well, anything helps :)

All I can say is that you're not alone. The best to you.

-->Lauryn<--
© Copyright 2003 deviance (deviance at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/771258-Self-Mutilation-Survey