*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/777615-Dear-Abdi
Rated: E · Letter/Memo · Inspirational · #777615
My ode to Rememberance Day
Dear Abdi,
How are you? How’s the weather in Somalia? I know where you are, the weather is the least of your problems. We miss you. We always think about you, but we know it was your choice to say behind. You believed you could make a difference. I still remember the day you dropped that bombshell on us. We were all packed and ready to flee the country. My aunt, your mom, was going frantic with worry, she couldn’t find you. Then you stride into the villa, as if you didn’t have a care in the world. Amidst all the gunshots and cursing going on outside, you tell us you are staying behind. “I can really make a difference, I can help get other Somali’s out of the country.” you said. Then you showed us the shortest and safest route to the air terminal. I was too young to run, so my mom carried me. Looking over her shoulder, I remember seeing this old man crouching in a dark corner. He was licking blood off a knife. 10 years later that image is still fresh in my head. In the end, we did make it to Canada. I love it here. There are people of many different ethnicities and religions. In Somalia, these differences would not have been accepted. Here you can also vote. There is democracy. And we all have equal rights under the law. I can go wherever I want, whenever I want. I’ve been keeping up with your letters and listening to the news. I know that Somalia’s plight hasn’t really improved. I know that thousands of children are dieing from easily curable diseases and malnutrition. I know that Somali’s are shooting at each other. They are killing each other. In a bid to gain control of the country thousands of rebels are fighting. Brothers are killing brothers and hurting kids in the crossfire. But I also knowing that there are people like you down there fighting to, once more, make Somalia the beautiful place it used to be. Looking and observing all this from a distance, I can honestly say I’m happy to be in Canada. Here I don’t have to worry that a stray bullet will hit me every time I go outside. I don’t have to worry that any second now my house will be blown to pieces. I wish you had come to Canada with us. The only way I can talk with you is through letters. So I send this letter, this last letter, to your grave. I hope it sends you away in peace.

Love
Aziza

P.S We will always remember that you were a soldier and, most importantly, a hero. Rest in Peace
© Copyright 2003 Everworld (aziza at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/777615-Dear-Abdi