*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/780040-How-I-Came-To-Write
by Dottie
Rated: E · Article · Writing · #780040
It wasn't until I joined Writing.Com that I....
How I Came To Write


         I write without form or rhyme. The words pour out from the depths of my soul. Had I been aware that I was capable of expressing those thoughts on paper, I would have sought to enhance my vocabulary to a much higher plane. I would have read every book I could lay my hands on while I was in my early years. As a young person, I was able to memorize and store each word that passed across my eyes.

         Alas, that talent was wasted. I didn’t even keep a diary or a journal. There was so much that I could have written about. Somehow I was not motivated to write, nor had I the desire to read the books of scholars, fiction and poets. Those books could have given me the inspiration to nurture and cultivate the talent that was buried inside of me. Instead, over the years, I married, brought up my three sons, and concentrated only on family ties and friends. I was well aware of my ability to spell words without having to look them up in a dictionary. But in my busy homebound life as a wife and mother, I never sought to test my literary skills, however modest they were, other than to write an occasional letter to a member of the family or a dear friend. It wasn’t until I joined Writing.Com that I discovered the joy in writing a story or trying my hand at poetry.

         Time breathes staleness, and because of my lack of exposure to all those books of knowledge, I remain a writer of simple demeanor and style with a blocked view to creating fiction. Yet, I have the ability to bring back alive the memories of my lifetime through writing on the Internet as a member of Writing.Com. Yes, I’m satisfied that I am still blessed by God with this ability to recall much of the past. I now have the means to leave something of me for my family. There were many things that I told them about my childhood days. But without those passages being written down, the memories of those occurrences would fade away by the sands of time.

Note:

When I wrote the above words, I realized later that similar ramblings of self-analysis were posted in an earlier article titled, "Tick Tock-Watch the Clock. I’ve come a long way since then. My writing hasn’t changed all that much, but I have a little more confidence in expressing the words.

November 19, 2003
© Copyright 2003 Dottie (dillyd32 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/780040-How-I-Came-To-Write