*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/783362-Warsaw-Chili
Rated: E · Short Story · Comedy · #783362
Wrote this to go along with my entry into a local Chili contest. I made kielbasa chili.
WARSAW CHILI


         It was in the early 1950’s that three brothers from Warsaw, Poland decided to leave their much-loved country and try to make their fortunes in America. This decision was not one made in haste but it was spurred on by the knowledge that the local constabulary was actively looking for them as a result of a recent attempt by the brothers to liberate some much needed sheep intestines from Stanislau Slabinski’s butcher shop. Ordinarily the theft of a few yards of sheep intestine would not be cause for any great concern but this particular butcher was well connected in the Polish version of the Mafia, otherwise known as the Papinki boys. This same group gained fame during World War II for their counter-espionage efforts on behalf of Poland. Yes, it was the Papinki boys who convinced the Polish cavalry to attack the German Panzer tanks by relaying the information that the tanks were made of cardboard and could easily be taken by men on horseback. The rest is history.

         But back to our three brothers. Scraping together every Zloty they had, they booked passage to America on the only ship they could afford. The ship was aptly named, “Slow Boat To China”

         The brothers decided to pursue their dream of opening a Polish Restaurant when they got to America. They even had a name for their restaurant, Three Brothers from Warsaw. They took with them their family recipe for kielbasa and a dream of great fortune. As was want to happen with most of the brothers’ plans, something went ka-flooey. When the ship, “A Slow Boat To China” put them ashore, they found themselves in a part of America they had never heard of and the people there were quite strange. The little bit of English they had learned proved useless as everyone spoke Spanish. The city they had arrived in was called Cancun. They were unsure of what state they were in but they thought it might be New Jersey. Despite the language obstacles the brothers all found jobs as a traveling Mariachi band and saved every peso they could toward opening the restaurant.

         In no time flat they were able to save enough money and with great fanfare and Mariachi music, the Three Brothers From Warsaw restaurant opened in downtown Cancun. Of course their featured item was their homemade kielbasa.

         Kielbasa went over in Cancun about as well as whale blubber would on Park Avenue. The brothers were confused. In Poland, kielbasa was a way of life. Everyone always had a ring or two hanging by the back door and a lint covered chunk in their pocket. They decided to consult the Bass player from the Mariachi band, one Geraldo Pedro Garcia, for his advice.

         Geraldo, as all his friends called him, summed up the problem with one sentence.

“Boys, it needs Chile.”

         Thus was born Warsaw Chili and to this day you can still visit the Three Brothers From Warsaw Polish-Mexican Restaurant in downtown Cancun and if you look closely above the bar you’ll find a photo of Geraldo Pedro Garcia. Scrawled beneath it by the brothers themselves are the following words.

         “In honor of our friend, Jerry Garcia. We will be forever grateful. Grateful until we are dead.”

POSTSCRIPT

         Now, after reading this, some of you may scoff and claim there is no Polish restaurant in Cancun, Mexico.

         Oh, it’s there all right. You just need to know where to look. I’ll give you a hint. It’s on the Polish side of town.




         Epilogue: After a couple of requests, here's the recipe for kielbasa chili.

Enjoy!


Kielbasa Chili

2 pound kielbasa, or other smoked sausage, cut into chunks
1 cup chopped onion
1 cup chopped green bell pepper
2 teaspoons minced garlic
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon dried oregano
2 cans chopped chiles
1 cup red wine
1 8-ounce can tomato sauce
1 28-ounce can diced tomatoes, undrained
2 15-ounce cans black beans, rinsed and drained

Place 1 lb kielbasa in a food processor and pulse until ground. Cut the other lb. Into half inch slices and quarter those

Heat a Dutch oven or large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the ground kielbasa,(not the quartered), onions and peppers and sauté until vegetables are tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in the garlic, chili powder, cumin and oregano and simmer a few minutes to bring out their flavor. Add the red wine and bring to a boil, until reduced slightly, about 5 minutes. Add the remaining ingredients except for the quartered kielbasa and simmer, covered for 20 minutes. Meanwhile fry the quartered kielbasa until brown and slightly crisp. Drain the grease and add this to the Dutch oven . Simmer another twenty minutes and serve.

Note: The recipe as presented makes a mild to medium heat chili. If you want to heat it up more I’d add some chopped jalapenos. Also, if you take this chili from the stove and instead of serving it put it in the fridge for a day, you’ll get a much more flavorful chili. Gives the spices time to work their magic.

Makes 6 to 8 servings.


© Copyright 2003 Rasputin (joeumholtz at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/783362-Warsaw-Chili