*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/786126-
Rated: E · Essay · Other · #786126
Will the destruction of wetlands ever end?
         I could feel anger welling up from deep within me, my heart in anguish and tears streaming down my cheek. The sight that I beheld was one of pure destruction, humans at their worst. The wetlands behind my humble abode, which I once proclaimed as mine is of no more, replaced instead with cold, hard concrete blocks. Is it really necessary to destroy the homes of the wildlife in that evergreen patch? Only a year of my absence since I departed to further my studies in Kuala Lumpur and this happens?
         As I shuffled slowly through rows and rows of elite residence, I saw the happy faces of the denizens there. I was induced with remorse by their bright smiles and pity filled my soul when I saw their lavish homes. They, with all their wealth could have easily chosen another place of dwelling but they chose instead to impose on the poor, defenseless animals. If no one supported these sadistic housing estates would there be more? Well, it’s all a matter of personal choice.
         There is always a possibility that if the public is better educated about the dangers we, ourselves, pose to the ever shrinking existence of the beautiful wetlands, we will be ready to lend a helping hand. I’m sure the children I saw running around in their elegant backyards, are ignorant of the damage their family has caused. Thus, it would be better if they are enlightened about the problem and maybe, if given a chance, they could be brought closer to wildlife; to love nature. Maybe harsher or heavier punishment is needed to be brought down on violators of the law that encroach on protected animal space. However, will that bring a difference?
         I left my old hometown with my spirits sunken, my mind perturbed. Will this heinous act of terrorism against wetlands continue? Will I be able to play my part in helping although I stand vast alone? Undoubtedly yes, for every little helps. I hope everybody remembers the old adage: actions speak louder than words.
         Will we watch, will we speak, or will we act?
© Copyright 2003 eidolon_cyclone (cyclonex at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/786126-