*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/790756-The-Bell-Jar
Rated: 13+ · Article · Biographical · #790756
One book can make you discover depression.
The Bell Jar
By: Sylvia Plath

This autobigraphical story of a young girl coping with changes is one of the best books ever written. Even though the book was written and is set is in the 50's I felt like it pertained to me on some levels. Such as coping with double standards and making decisions concerning my future.Most of all I related to her on the sexual preferences. The world is like the book said divided into people who have sex and who don't. That fact that purity and sanity is combined in such a way it make you think about yourself. I scares me. How can a suicidal woman seem so much like me? I hve never thought of those notions. The answer is she is all of us. We have all been suicidal. We have killed apart of ourselves, if not tried to. weither it is a tangible as you body or viginity or mentally as tearing yourself to shreads with words.

"To a person in the bell jar, blank and stopped as a dead baby, the Most importantly lookworld itself is the bad dream" from chapter 20. One bad memory passed off as nothing more than a dream may be the one thing that takes you over the edge. No one person can't change the world's affect on you or your opinion. When they try to, it can prove to be breaking.I know this from experience. I have been dressed countless time and I always look back and wonder how. How can I keep falling victim? That is why I started to write. I am the victim in that same jar, only mine isn't as severe as Sylvia Plath or Esther's. I am that one bad experience that piled up and that I am now forced to deal with. That sad part is I knew, but it took this book to actually teach me.

If you are looking for self discovery, trust me,you will find things that scare you in this book. Do be warned, you have actually look. Don't open the book and on well, that mama girl lied. Also remember, tha just because you get away from being trapped one day. You can always have set backs. "How did I know that someday... the bell jar, with its stifling distortions, wouldn't desend again?"Esther (Chapter 20).

© Copyright 2003 Mama_Jessie (mama_jessie at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/790756-The-Bell-Jar