*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/791803-Friendship
Rated: ASR · Short Story · Friendship · #791803
How do you say thank you?
Friendship


Wiping a few tears from her cheeks, his mind races to all the events that led to this moment.

They had been friends for almost a year. Yet everyone still looked upon them and questioned. People questioned motives, reasons, and faithfulness. The hell they both endured for their friendship was never ending.

When they first met at school, they didn't talk. She was the friend's girlfriend; he was the nerd across the hall that had a car. It was three months before they really spoke to each other. He wrote to ask her an embarrassing favor, and the trust between them began to grow. They started talking, but not much. He was occupied with a very jealous girlfriend, and she was in no mood to start a confrontation. Times were tough for them both. He dealt with suffocation and domination from his jealous significant other; she dealt with lack of sleep, and falling behind in school work. The more the two were able to talk the more they began to trust each other.

The day after he broke off his relationship they began to spend more and more time together. He was grilled daily as to whether there had been an affair. Had he been untrue? Of course he hadn't, and he certainly wouldn't bother to lie about it, now that he had finally found a true friend in which he could confide in and was given solace.

Everyone said they spent too much time together, there had to be something more than friendship. The two were constantly badgered as to when they had started to go out, not if. The endless questions dug into them day in and day out. Both dealt with this in their own ways, expressing to each other that it bothered them to no end. Neither let the harsh words, nor curious looks discourage them.

His ex would yell at him daily. Why couldn't he have a normal friendship with her? Why did he have to act, and appear as if they were dating, while she was still dating his good friend? He had no response; he saw nothing wrong with what he was doing, and how he was acting. What was normal anyway? Who dictated what it was? Normal was just a setting on the dryer, nothing more.

They were able to help each other through many trying times, only to have their friendship grow. Like all friendships theirs was tried and tested, but proved strong.

He realized after not too long he was attracted to her. This upset and discouraged him greatly. She knew before he had the chance to tell her. They talked, he grew up, and they remained friends.

Now they had traveled halfway across the country together, despite malpractice, contempt, and anxiety expressed by others. The few people that truly understood them knew that nothing would happen. Those that didn't again questioned the motives. Was this just an excuse to be alone together in order to kindle a hidden flame: most certainly not. It was a time for both to have fun and get away from everything that told them what they were doing was wrong.

She calms down a bit and looks up at him through the tears in her eyes, and softly whispers "I'm sorry." He desperately wants to tell her that there is nothing that she should be sorry for. How can she be sorry, after all of what she has done for him? Can’t he at least try to repay the favor? He wants to find some way to express to her that she is the best friend he has ever had. But for now a big hug and a soft "Don't be." is all he can muster.
© Copyright 2003 Omi is Grad-e-ated (omicron at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/791803-Friendship