*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/805461-I-Am-Flying---mini-story
Rated: E · Other · Contest · #805461
a mini-story, written for a contest

I Am Flying – a mini-story

I jump off the top of a tall building and feel the whoosh of air beneath my wings. It is exhilarating to feel that rush, and to feel the cool air flowing over me. I am flying over a small town set amidst green orchards, and surrounded by low-lying foothills. I recognize avocado, orange and lemon trees. This must be my own little valley.

I swoop lower and see a house with a small pond in the shape of a green turtle. Gold shimmers along the bottom of the pond. I realize they are goldfish, flitting in and out of the reeds and water hyacinths. There are kittens in the yard. Some are chasing butterflies in the soft sunshine, and some are sleeping on warm flat rocks. On the front porch of the house I see more turtles. Small ones, large ones, of all different hues and makes. It is my turtle collection. I am flying over my own little house.

I try to memorize the patterns I see. I think to myself, “This would make a lovely quilt.” Suddenly I feel a sharp jab in my side. I wake to find that I am snuggled safe in my warm bed, where I fell asleep as I wrote in my journal. The pen that fell from my hand awoke me.
© Copyright 2004 Cynaemon (noelanicat at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/805461-I-Am-Flying---mini-story