*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/810801-Honor-Guard
by Willow
Rated: E · Prose · Family · #810801
Love, Honor, and Remember a daughter, wife, mother and friend.
Honor Guard!

I walked into the church with friends. Gathered we share the memories and honor our friend. Little did I know that she would be so loved as this. Stepping into the simply decorated church I sat and saw what my sweet straight talking friend meant to those she touched. On each side of this quiet room were lined the students of the Little Flower High School, her school. It is not her school just because she spent four years there and excelled, but because she was teaching at the school. Teaching, a passion my friend’s choice, over engineering, that had the respect of her friends, family, and the love of her husband.

Sitting down in the quiet before the service I looked out over these faces that make the honor guard. Some were crying others stoic trying to hold it all in. Others were smiling, if just a little. This group of girls all dressed in crimson and white. Some had pins of honor or award; I could not begin to think what the pins meant. But the girls were here to give a young woman the full honors that she deserved.

Mrs. Kathleen Anne Ruby Math teacher and mother. A young woman who was loved by all who she touched. I cannot try to think how she might of touched each of the girls serving in her honor guard. I can only hope that each one has been able to see her smile and her warm heart. Some were able to be in her class, to work with her each day, while others only a smile and a hello in the halls. But I have been told that people never know how they have touched others.

This line of crimson and white on station through out the service for a friend. For a daughter who’s father is a kind and gentle man, who’s passion filled words have helped me to understand a young lady who was classy and kind. I would have liked to know her better. Between these two flanking rows of young woman the pews fill with faces of friends, family, and co-workers. Some I knew others just a grief torn face. We were all here for one common thought, to honor a daughter, who became a wife and a mother.

I always came back to this group of young girls part of the school and the service. My mind could only think of a military honor guard in attendance for a fellow soldier. I do not know who thought to have the high school take part but thank you. She has moved me to think about my dreams.

In the end the girls walked out in two columns as we all filed out. The sky was clear and the air cool. I had spent the time crying and smiling, remembering Katie and Justin together. I am glad to call them friends. Thanks to all who helped create a service that paid a great tribute to a young woman who was much loved and much remembered.
© Copyright 2004 Willow (mp-willow at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/810801-Honor-Guard