*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/824821-Patient----File-1
by Rob
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Action/Adventure · #824821
The Completed file 1 of this take on vampires and werewolves.
Patient Ø – File 1

Compendium A of files recovered from the Chimera Installation

Arrogance. For the longest time arrogance convinced scientists that we were special. Scientists who told the world what was truth and what was fiction. They told the world animals had no feelings, that they were just organisms that could only act on their basic instincts; to eat, to sleep, to mate. What their arrogance blinded them to was that we, humans, are no different.
An average day for most people consists of waking up, eating, going to work, eating, working some more, going home, eating, mating, sleeping. Humans believe that working makes them different; it is no different from hunting. You work to earn money to eat and to show off to a potential mate.
So what makes humans different? Feelings? No. The arrogance that makes us believe we are the only ones with feelings. That animals cannot feel.
But as scientist point out, there is no way to test if animals have feelings, no way to prove beyond doubt… or is there.
What if it were possible to cross breed humans with animals? Or to ‘splice’ human and animal DNA together as scientists would say. What if it had already been done? Not by natural breeding, scientists would be the first to point out that a natural crossbreed is not possible. Not by genetic splicing, scientists would be the first to point out that the technology for such an operation does not yet exist. So how could it possibly happen?
A retrovirus. Scientists describe a retrovirus, as a virus that re-encodes, re-writes the DNA of the affected individual. It is now known, although not to the general public, that some retroviruses have been born in certain animals, and when these animals have bitten a human, that human may take on certain aspects of those animals and also pass on the retrovirus to other humans. It is now folklore in some villages that half-human, half-wolf creatures stalk the landscape during the days of full moons. Coroners in some cities are baffled by the victims with 2 bite marks in their neck and a complete drain of all blood from the victim’s body.
While it is now accepted, even by some scientists, that these infected humans exist little is know about either those infected, or the viruses themselves. This is because the infected humans are notoriously hard to find and even harder to catch.
One more thing should be noted. The majority of humans, the general public, are blissfully unaware of the existence of these viruses. I personally believe this to be for the best. Whoever and whatever these infected humans are, they have a right to live and to live how they see fit.


-Final diary extract from Patient Ø




Dr Walker has assigned me the task of researching any possible relationships between the QXB ‘wolf’ virus and the PXB ‘vampire bat’ virus.
So far I’ve been able to determine the 2 viruses work in a remarkably similar way. It’s true that they change the infected individual in different ways but the way they change the infected is almost too similar to be chance. Within hours of being infected the hosts internal systems and organs go through a complete overhaul. Muscles are rebuilt to increase efficiency, making the host stronger and faster. Cells and organs take on a remarkable regenerative capability, which extends even to being able to bring the body back to life after death. In the case of the PXB ‘vampire bat’ virus the gene that controls ageing is either slowed down or stopped completely giving the host an immortality of sorts.
However by far the most interesting relationship is that once infected the host will actively hunt down and kill hosts of the other virus. Even on the genetic level the 2 viruses attack each other, amazingly in most cases this leads to the complete annihilation of both viruses.
More research will definitely be needed but I’m positive this aspect of the viruses can somehow be used to develop a cure.

-Research notes of Assistant researcher
In the Chimera installation Dr James



General Bramby provided us with a new infected specimen today. It was clear from the beginning that the individual was different from any other specimen we had researched. After a series of tests we discovered a new form of the ‘wolf’ virus, we named it the QVB ‘wolf’ virus.
So far one major difference from the previous QXB ‘wolf’ virus (or the ‘werewolf’ virus as it is now more commonly known) has been discovered. When a carrier of the werewolf virus is touched by moonlight from a full moon they undergo the transformation into a wolf. While in this transformed state the body becomes enlarged, but starts moving on all four limbs giving the impression that it is literally just an enlarged wolf. The carrier also seems to lose all forms of human intelligence, becoming little more than an animal.
However, when a carrier of the new QVB ‘wolf’ virus (now dubbed the ‘wolfwere’ virus) is touched by moonlight from a full moon the transformation is very different. While the host still took on many features of a wolf it remained standing on its hind legs. The host also grew to a size of almost 9feet tall and our estimations predict its strength increased as much as tenfold. I believe it also kept some human intelligence as it soon began trying to open the cell door instead of continuously battering the plastiglass window.
While I cannot yet be sure of any other differences I am already certain that the wolfwere is a far more dangerous threat than that presented by the werewolf.

-Official report to Head Researcher of the
Chimera installation Dr Jonathon Tinney



The wolfwere showed superior combat abilities even when in human form. This particular individual quite easily dispatched two vampires. It then proceeded to transform after sighting the full moon and attacked my unit.
We held it back with suppressive firepower but even our silver bullets did not seem able to penetrate past its thick layer of bone beneath the skin. The wolfwere then retreated but not before throwing a motorbike at my unit with only one arm.
My unit lost track of the wolfwere but we were able to re-acquire the target when the local authorities received a report of a woman being attacked by a large dog in the area.
The wolfwere had in fact fed and was targeting a man, I believe with the intent of injuring not killing. I am therefore convinced that this man is capable of being a host and I am suggesting immediate confinement.
However, even with the creature’s superior speed, its target seemed able to avoid it without injury. The wolfwere once again retreated when my unit arrived and we were unable to re-acquire the target.

-Combat report on a wolfwere
by Captain Morris



My unit engaged the three carriers of the PXB ‘vampire bat’ virus (Or vampires) and immediately opened fire. Our orders were to kill two of them and bring the other under our control for further study.
The vampires showed signs of human intelligence. Not only were they obviously communicating with each other, they also immediately set about disarming my unit, forcing us into close combat where they have an advantage due to their superior speed and strength.
Although my unit had the vampires outnumbered two to one, the vampires managed to gain the upper hand early in the encounter. It is my regret to say that Sergeant Boville lost his life in the encounter.
I managed to set off a flash bang grenade, which temporarily blinded the vampires due to their unprotected eyes and their sensitivity to light. My unit then disposed of two of the vampires and subdued the other using the less than effective stun sticks. It is now my hope that the captured vampire can somehow be used to develop weapons that will stop any further loss of human life.
On a personal note I would like to request the task of writing to Sergeant Bovilles’ next of kin.

-Combat report on vampire encounter
05 by Captain Susan Green



I would first like to state my objection to both the assessment and the decision to instruct the individual in methods of combat. If indeed he is susceptible to either or both the viruses then he should be kept in protective custody until the immediate threat is over.
The individual showed a basic grasp of close combat during sparring. I believe he may be of some use given further training but with his current skills and due to his human limitations he will be more of a hindrance in the field at this level.
I will concede that with a gun the individual is exceptional. He claims never to have held a gun before. While he is very competent with all the weapons we tested him with, he seemed most comfortable with the weight and shape of a handgun.
The individual has not gone through the years of special ops training that our agents are required to undergo, let alone the basic training soldiers in the field require. It is therefore my recommendation that he not be trained or sent into the field as due to his lack of discipline he would be a danger to the unit he is assigned to.

-Original combat report on
Patient Ø by Captain Morris



At the moment I have no idea how it is possible but carriers of both the vampire and both the wolf viruses seem to be completely immune to most methods of destruction we humans succumb to.
They are able to take almost any amount of physical damage and injury without dying, and given time their bodies will physically regenerate back to perfect health. Even direct injury to the heart or brain isn’t enough to permanently disable them.
There are, however, ways to kill infected individuals. Carriers of both viruses can be killed by burning, a method which is particularly effective against the ‘wolf’ virus carriers in their transformed state. Both also have a severe reaction to silver, which seems to render the regenerative capabilities of the virus ineffective, forcing the individuals to heal in the normal time span of humans. With more research it may be possible to uncover why only silver seems to work this way.
We have also discovered that vampires have a severe reaction to sunlight and, given prolonged exposure, a fatal reaction. However we are at the moment unable to generate the ultra violet rays in sufficient quantity in the field to do a worthwhile amount of damage. Carriers of the ‘wolf’ viruses, however, do not seem to share the reaction to sunlight.

-Research notes of head researcher of
the Chimera installation Dr J Tinney







-TRANSMISSION BEGINS-

“This is Captain Garrey of Delta squad. I think we’ve found him. The original carrier of the wolfwere virus, I don’t know what he’s doing here but all the other carriers seem to be subordinate to him, they’re acting in a pack-like behavior.

“Control here. Continue surveillance but do not engage under any circumstances. Repeat. Do not engage under any circumstances.”

“Affirmative. Do not engage. They have a kill down there. The Alpha male, the original carrier has just finished feeding and now the others have moved in to feed. Wait. Three of the subordinates have just left. I think the Alpha male may have sent them hunting again, but I don’t think he spoke to them. Are you reading our position control?”

“We have your reading loud and clear Delta leader. Backup troops are on route. We want the original carrier alive.”

“They look like they’re settling in, as if they intend to be here a while. It’s almost as if… Shit. He just looked right at us. What? They’re behind us!”

“Delta squad. Retreat. I repeat. Retreat!”

-FOLLOWS A PERIOD OF UNDETERMINABLE NOISE-

“There’s only myself and Smith left. They killed the others and disarmed us. For some reason they left my radio intact. I think they’re taking us to the Alpha male.”

“Backup troops will be there in five minutes delta squad.”

“The carrier says he wants me to tell you exactly what I see. He’s… that’s impossible! There’s no full moon! The carrier. He’s transforming!... He’s still increasing in size. Dear god. He’s at least 13ft tall. He’s… He’s…”

-TRANSMISSION ENDS-

-Delta squad’s final transmission



The vampires came to us in the very early hours of the morning. They offered us a deal. They would work for us and in return we would arm them and help them completely wipe all trace of the wolf virus from the city.
Although they presented this deal in a laid back fashion, the timing could not be purely coincidence. They’re scared. They know of the wolfwere virus, and they know the original carrier is here in the city. However if we wiped out all the wolves the vampires would have only us as an enemy.
To this end we offered a revised deal. We will work with the vampires to remove the wolfwere threat from the city, however we will not help them remove the werewolves. This deal they reluctantly agreed to. If this new virus has the vampires this scared then I believe we need their help.
One other thing to report. Although they tried to hide it, the vampires seemed very interested in Patient Ø. The scientists may be right about him.

-Personal report from General Bramby of the
Chimera installation to central command



I don’t really have any idea what’s happening and I’ve been told I’m not allowed to talk to anyone about it, so I’m writing it down.
It started one week ago. I was in my flat about to go to bed when I heard some sort of snarling outside. When I looked out my window I saw a huge wolf eating something. It was eating someone from my apartment building. Then it saw me, actually, I don’t think it saw me, I think it smelt me. I wasn’t the only one watching it but it sniffed the air and then looked directly at me. I saw it snarl and I ran slamming the door behind me. A second later I heard it crash through the window and then the door I had just shut.
I ran outside and heard it crashing through the doors behind me. When I stopped I realized I was standing next to the body the wolf had been eating. The rest is a lot like a blur. I remember the wolf pouncing at me and I must have dodged it somehow. The next thing I knew there were people with guns standing over me and the wolf was gone.
They herded me into a van saying they needed to give me a physical check up and take my statement. I remember them telling the people watching it was a rabid dog. No dog can turn a door into splinters like that.
They took me to a place they called the Chimera installation. It’s half scientific research base and half military outpost. There I was told that it was a wolfwere that had attacked me and it had done so because it could smell that I was susceptible to the ‘wolf’ virus. They took blood and tissue samples and showed me to a room, telling me to get some rest. I’ve got to say it took me a while to get my head round it but they showed me the proof, they even took me to the holding area of the facility where they keep live infected people, specimens as they call them.
Since then I think they’ve been training me to join them. I’ve been taught the basics of both the werewolf and vampire viruses, and they’ve started putting me through combat training exercises. I’ve been told I can’t go back to my old life until the immediate threat is over. Something about the wolf that attacked me having my scent now.
Now they’ve told me that tomorrow I’m going into the field with one of their squads. With Susan Green to be exact, can’t say I mind about that though.
Anyway I think that’s it for now. I’ll keep writing in this diary. I think it helps.

-First diary extract from Patient Ø

Compendium B of files recovered from the Chimera Installation

I’ve just been on my first mission with Alpha Squad. It was invigorating to say the least. I didn’t actually get involved in any real combat, Susan made sure I stayed at the back and just watched.
Alpha Squad engaged a small group of vampires in combat. I can’t explain it but I had an urge to help the squad, to kill the vampires. Even the thought of combat fills me with an energy.
Anyway, they took some more blood and tissue samples earlier. The head scientist, Tinney, said they might be able to send me home soon. To be honest, I don’t think I want to go home. I’ve spent the last 5 years trying to decide what to do with my life, and I think this is it.
Well I have to go. Susan offered to help me with combat training, and it definitely couldn’t hurt to get some hands on experience with the Captain.

-Diary extract from Patient Ø



“General. I would like permission to speak frankly about the decision to include the civilian in my squad on our missions.”

“Permission granted Captain Green. Please speak your mind”

“I believe his presence put Alpha Squad in unnecessary danger. Not only does he attract the wolves, but his lack of discipline forced me to put one of my team in charge of him at all times.”

“As I understand Captain, you were not engaged by wolves at any time during the mission. As for discipline, all new recruits are undisciplined. Is there anything else?”

“He… He makes me nervous general. I do not think his enthusiasm for combat can be natural, and… and I believe the inherent skills he possesses makes him more of a danger than a benefit to any squad he accompanies.”

“Opinion noted Captain Green. However, Patient Ø will continue his training, and will continue to accompany squads into the field. If you are unwilling to have him as an active member I will assign him to Beta Squad.”

“Yes General.”

“Good. Dismissed.”

-Record of a meeting between
Captain Green and General Bramby



I believe I now have sufficient information to explain how a human infected with the QXB ‘wolf’ virus and the QVB ‘wolf’ virus goes through the astounding process of transforming into its wolf form.
The transformation involves, in most cases, an increase in body size throughout the entire body, a dramatic change in bone structure and density, and an extreme stimulation of hair follicles all over the body.
I personally would not believe the transformation possible if I had not seen it with my own eyes. To discover the method used to undergo these changes I have spent long periods of time observing infected individuals in both states. I noticed an interesting behavioural abnormality.
In both states the infected individual eats three to four times the amount of a normal human being. After consulting with Dr Tinney I am now ready to officially present my theory to the board.
In the infected individuals ‘normal’ human state and in the transformed ‘Werewolf’ state their weight does not change. The bones, organs and tissue in the human state are somehow extremely dense, when the transformation occurs by the light of a full moon the transformation is almost like an expansion of the super dense body into a larger, less dense, altered anatomy.
As yet I’m unsure of how the infected individuals body is able to go through this transformation, and also why the light of a full moon is a factor, however I should also make note that although the light of the full moon does trigger the transformation it is not a factor in the continuation of the transformed state. This is a feat of conversion that no modern science is anywhere near rivalling.
It would also explain the sever exhaustion that comes over the individual after they reassume their human form, as they have to recover a lot of the energy that was put into the transformation.
I’m preparing to write a report to present my findings to the board. Dr Tinney has assured me of his full support.

-Research notes of Dr Joseph



I must first state that I do not approve of the implantation of vampires into our squads, even if only on a temporary basis.
That said I am forced to admit that their combat abilities are a very useful reassurance when engaged by werewolves. If trained properly, vampires could be an invaluable asset to every squad; however, I do not believe this to be possible.
I would also like to mention that there was an uneasy tension surrounding the squad. This tension was undoubtedly caused by distrust both on our parts and the vampires.

-Field report by Captain John Matthews



Patient Ø accompanied my squad on his second field mission as an active member of beta squad.
We caught up with a small group of vampires at roughly 0100 hours. Patient Ø was extremely confident with his firearm and my squad quickly dispatched the vampires. It was then however that a last vampire we had not seen singled out and attacked Patient Ø.
I have never seen anything like it. Not even a werewolf attacks a vampire with as much ferocity as Patient Ø did. Nor do werewolves possess the strength or speed that Patient Ø clearly now does. The vampire looked as if it were moving in slow motion compared to him.
For reference I will mention that he did not kill the vampire and we have taken custody of it. He did however put the vampire in a coma, a feat we did not believe possible, and he also broke 128 of the 206 bones in the vampire’s body.
Patient Ø is undoubtedly already infected; this makes him unpredictable and dangerous at best. I recommend immediate disposal.

-Second combat report on Patient Ø



The QXB, QVB, and PXB viruses are truly amazing in the way that they work. The retroviruses literally re-write the DNA of an infected individual, they effectively re-write the way the body works. As far as we can tell the viruses originally occurred naturally. Usually in nature when one species gains an advantage over a competitor via an evolutionary change, the competitor is forced to evolve in response, Its what’s known as the evolutionary arms race.
I believe Patient Ø is the human race’s evolutionary response to the QXB, QVB and PXB viruses. One certainty is that the way his body works is far more remarkable than either of the viruses.
Since being infected by the QVB ‘wolf’ virus, or WolfWere virus, his body has actually re-written the retrovirus. The virus has still changed his body to make him stronger and faster but he does not transform by the light of a full moon.
Our current estimates put his strength at an extra 50% over wolfweres and his speed is up to a 100% increase. If he hasn’t already realised what is happening to him he will soon.
At this time we have only observed the changes, how his body re-wrote the virus is still a mystery. It is my suggestion to actively search for more individuals like Patient Ø.

-Research report by Dr J Tinney about Patient Ø



Patient Ø came to me last night shortly after completing his mission. He demanded to know what we had done to him and why people were referring to him as Patient Ø.
I believe he deserved to know the truth and also that it would have been dangerous to have not told him.
So I told him as much of the truth as I believe he was ready to hear. I told him that we hadn’t caused the changes, that he had been infected with the QVB ‘wolf’ virus and his body had changed the virus. I told him we had been referring to him as Patient Ø because he is the first with the new form of the virus. I also told him that we believed his changes might help us develop a cure or at least a vaccine to the viruses.
I’m not sure if he will decide to continue helping us but to try to force his help would be extremely dangerous.

-Report from General Bramby to the board



Patient Ø. That’s what they’ve been calling me this whole time. Well at least it has a ring to it. If I’m no longer human then I no longer deserve a human name, so I’ll take Patient Ø.
I never did fit in anywhere, not school, not work, and now I don’t fit in with the human race, or the vampires, or the werewolves. I’m something else, something different, something new.
Now I guess the question is; do I help these Chimera’s, or do I run with the pack. I’ll help. If I can stop what happened to me from happening to anyone else then at least I’d have served a purpose. Besides, I enjoy hunting vampires, but that could be the wolf in me.

-Diary extract from Patient Ø
















Compendium C of files recovered from the Chimera Installation

They’re scared. I can see it on their faces; I can even smell it, although I guess that’s the wolf in me again. I almost find it funny; these highly trained soldiers are scared of the helpless man they rescued just a few weeks ago. Only 3 of them don’t show any fear; Susan, the General and Dr. Tinney, he seems intent on figuring me out, running his tests daily, always saying he wished they’d found me before I was infected.
The vampires are the worst I think. The whole team watch me warily, its not quite fear, more distaste; a hatred that breeds from somewhere deep down inside. I just hope they don’t assign me to a team with a vampire on it, I’m not sure I could keep my cool.

- Diary extract from Patient Ø



Two of the ‘vampire’ virus carriers have been successfully integrated into my team. I personally am very impressed with the results. They show a natural aptitude for combat and have a fierceness when fighting ‘wolf’ virus carriers that can’t be matched. They show no aversion to following orders and although I do not entirely trust them I feel I should say that I believe fully integrating these ‘vampires’ into teams will ultimately prove more useful, and safer than integrating Patient Ø. In combat situations the ‘vampires’ showed that they are more than competent, Patient Ø’s undisciplined rage showed the opposite.

- Official report by the leader of beta squad



*What follows is an eyewitness account by private Khan of the encounter with the Alpha Wolfwere *

We had managed to place a tracker beacon on one of the subordinate Wolfweres and had been following it for some time; I think the vampires may have caught it if we hadn’t been slowing them down. It became obvious though, that the wolf had been leading us to its master. It led us to a disused industrial section of the city; this too I think was intentional. The Alpha was there staring right at us. The moon was at its fullest and he was stood there in his human form, I didn’t even think that was possible, It was almost like he could control his transformations.
I didn’t think we should have engaged but the captain, he was so sure we could win with the vampires on our team. We radioed for backup; Captain Green’s team responded they were on their way. The order was to wait for backup to arrive but the vampires were seething, they were almost in a frenzy and I think the captain made his decision with them in mind.
We fanned out; attempting to surround the targets but the vampires seemed to lose all sense at this point, they charged the Alpha head on. It was suicide for them. I’ve never seen anything so fast, I could barely keep up with the Alpha with my eyes, and he tore the vampires apart, literally. I’m not sure what it was, maybe the fear, but while the Alpha killed the vampires none of us even noticed the other Wolfwere attacked the captain. It was at that point the cohesion of our team fell apart. We all just opened fire at the Wolfwere at the same time. We got it, we killed the thing that got the captain but, by the time I stopped shooting the Alpha had killed the rest of my team and was standing beside me, I hadn’t even noticed. After that I think the Alpha hit me, I don’t remember.

* Private Kahn was found unconscious with multiple internal and external injuries. This statement was taken 15 hours before he died from multiple organ failure *

- Account by Private Kahn of the Alpha Wolfwere incident



I’ve yet to isolate it but there appears to be an active agent in Patient Ø’s blood that acts as a transformation suppressive, it explains why Patient Ø is completely devoid of the transformation that all other wolf virus carriers exhibit. We’ve tested a diluted sample of his blood mixed with a catalysing agent on a captured Werewolf specimen. The reaction was violent but positive; the specimen fully reverted back to its human form and was unable to transform again, even under full moonlight simulation, for 13 hours 54 minutes. It may be that the length of time the transformation is suppressed corresponds directly to the dilution; I’ll put Dr.Joseph on this right away. I’m going to start working on a way to make the suppressive binding; a permanent disabling of the werewolf transformation would make them far less dangerous.
On a note of interest I informed Patient Ø of this discovery when he came to give his blood sample today. He seemed very enthused regarding the possible ‘cure’ for the wolf transformation. I must admit it surprised me, I expected him to show more empathy for the carriers given his disposition. I think he will happily co-operate in the coming experiments.

- Research notes of Dr.J.Tinney of the Chimera installation



Patient Ø was on a routine patrol with my squad when the call for backup came from Beta Squad. He seemed anxious right away, then when Captain Green’s team were ordered to the location, well the best way of describing it would be Patient Ø took off, he moved with speed that most cars would be impressed with. There was no way we could keep up with him but we started moving towards the location ourselves. Whatever he has become, he is most certainly not human anymore.

- Report by Captain John Matthews



By the time we arrived the scene was a massacre. There was one dead Wolfwere, we knew right away it wasn’t the Alpha by its size. The entire of Beta squad was in pieces. The vampires were the worst; their body parts were everywhere. The humans from beta squad were spread around the small square, from first looks I didn’t think any of them were alive, apparently Private Kahn was still alive at that point, and it was probably a good thing that we didn’t find him. The Alpha was no where to be seen so we quickly checked the bodies to see if there were any survivors, then we went to secure the area. He was among my squad before any of us knew what was happening. I have no idea where he came from but he killed all the members of my squad within seconds, no one even got a shot off. Then he focused on me.
I think I managed to get off a single shot before he hit me, it must have gone wide, I don’t really remember but I think I blacked out for a second when he hit me in the stomach. I remember coming to slumped on the floor gasping for air. I couldn’t see the Alpha at that time but he was behind me, he grabbed me by the hair and wrenched me to my feet, then with a single strike he broke my gun arm and tossed me aside like a rag doll. I remember wondering why he hadn’t killed me, then I looked up from the floor and I saw Patient Ø. I think I had gone into shock by that time but I’m sure when he jumped from the building to the floor the concrete cracked under the impact. The look on his face, it showed no emotion, only determination.
Then I was picked up again and wrenched to my feet. The Alpha was stood behind me, his hand firmly gripped around my neck. I was barely conscious by then but I’m told my radio managed to record the conversation between them.

- Report by Captain Susan Green of the encounter
between Alpha squad and the Alpha Wolfwere



* What follows is the transcript of the conversation recorded between the Alpha Wolfwere and Patient Ø *

“I was hoping this would draw you out. What should I call you? Zero?”

“I really couldn’t care less what you call me.”

“Now don’t be like that brother, or perhaps I should say son.”

“What?”

“You haven’t realised yet? It’s my virus that flows through your veins. Sure, your body warped and changed its true form, but essentially the virus that made you what you are now is the same virus that was originally borne within me. You’re a part of my pack.”

“So you’re to blame, you’re the one who infected me, just like all the others you infected you took away my life!”

“No, not like all the others brother. You’re like me, you’re different. Like my own, your body was able to change the virus infecting it. We’re the next step in the evolution. My virus is the wolves answer to those damn bats.”

“And mine is the human body’s answer to both viruses.”

“Don’t you see brother? I found you for a reason, infected you for a reason. I could tell you were different from your scent. Together we could wipe out the bats completely, not even these soldiers could stand in our way. Can you really say you were happy before I infected you? Can you really say you’re happy working for these humans now? Even now your instincts are telling you the correct course of action; Join the pack.”

“What you did to me was unforgivable, you took away my chance of having a life, and how many other lives have you taken away? How many people have you infected? How many people have you killed? Right here I will stop you from taking away any more lives.”

“STOP IT! Stop spewing that propaganda that those damnable humans have fed you. You’ve been told to see the virus as a curse. Its not! It’s a gift. And if I can’t convince you, I’ll show you.”

- Transcript of a recording from
Captain Greens radio



I couldn’t quite hear what they were saying to each other from my position but the Alpha shouted something at Patient Ø, a few seconds later the Alpha bit into the neck of Captain Green then tossed her to the side of the square as if she weighed no more than a pebble. Patient Ø immediately ran over to Captain Green, I believe she was unconscious by this time. That’s when the Alpha began changing, he threw his trench coat to the floor and, well it’s hard to describe his transformation. Bones extending out of proportion, complete morphing of both bone and organ structure, hair growing from the skin at incredible speed. He must have been a good 12 foot tall by the time he finished transforming, and the whole time Patient Ø stood watching with a disgusted look on his face.
Then Patient Ø attacked. It was like swatting away a fly to the Alpha, even with all Zero’s speed he didn’t stand a chance. On the third attack the Alpha simply threw Zero against a wall, the impact cracked the bricks. That’s when Patient Ø realised he had to do something drastic I think, and he did something I didn’t understand at the time. He took the knife from his belt and drew it across his arm, coating it in his own blood. Then made it easy for the Alpha, he let the Alpha grab hold of him and then forced his knife into the wolfwere’s chest, then when the Alpha dropped him he simply backed away. It took another minute or so for it to happen, and in that minute Patient Ø took a beating. I was surprised he could still stand.
Then the transformation back started. The Alpha let out a deafening roar and the hair started dropping off his body. The transformation back was even more disgusting than the first. After it was finished all that was left was the Alpha in his human form lying in a pile of hair with steam rising from his body. Zero was still trying to detach himself from the pile of rubble that used to be the wall he had been thrown into as the Alpha stood up and staggered over to his discarded coat. He was actually laughing as he put it on and turned to face Patient Ø. The Alpha spoke, said something about ‘him being different from the other wolves’, then he attacked. The speed he moved with, even after transforming twice was beyond belief, even my eyes had trouble keeping up. Just as worrying was that Patient Ø was moving at the same speed.
With both of them not being trained in combat the fight was a lot like a street brawl but the speed and power both of them displayed was amazing, the surrounding buildings are a testament this, not a single one is still fully intact. The fight only lasted a few minutes, despite everything the two were just too evenly matched, blow for blow. It all ended when Patient Ø delivered a head but to the Alpha. The Alpha collapsed on the floor and Patient Ø staggered back and fell over. They both just lay there, it doesn’t surprise me, they must have used all their energy in that fight. That’s when I radioed in for the cleanup teams.

- Report from an unknown source about the encounter
Between the Alpha Wolfwere and Patient Ø



We have him in our custody; the Alpha Wolfwere. An original virus carrier. The opportunities this present are exciting to say the least. We’re currently having to keep him heavily doped, a mixture of horse sedatives and Patient Ø’s blood, I’m not sure any amount of sedative would work if he was able to transform into his wolf state. I can’t express how exited I am right now. I’ll be taking more blood samples tomorrow and possibly some other samples as well. Who knows what we’ll be able to do now we have an original subject in our possession.
The General I think is too cautious, he seems very worried about keeping such a specimen on site. Personally I don’t think he fully understands the implications and opportunities that are before us. I can’t say I’m entirely surprised to be honest; he is just a soldier after all. This Wolfwere may be even more useful to us than Patient Ø.
As for Captain Green, there is nothing we can do for her at this time. She has been infected and the changes are already underway. I have offered to keep her dosed on diluted samples of Patient Ø’s blood during the 3 times during the month that the change will occur but she showed immediate distaste to the idea. The General seems intent on keeping her on the force, personally I think it’s a terrible idea but if that is the case we will have to keep her under lock and key during those days. It’s a shame really but an acceptable loss for what we’ve gained.

- Extract from Dr.J.Tinney’s Diary



In capturing the individual known as the Alpha Wolfwere we lost 7 soldiers and another, Captain Susan Green, was infected with the QVB ‘wolfwere’ virus. In addition Patient Ø has seemed very different in the 2 days since the encounter, I’ve placed him under constant observation. Dr.Tinney seems to think the losses were ‘acceptable’ personally I think he doesn’t quite understand the value of human life.
As a request I would like to be able to keep Captain Green as an active member of a squad, if she can come to terms with the changes I believe she will be invaluable.

- Report by General Bramby to the board



I’m not sure what to think anymore, some of what he said rang true to me; I’ll admit that much. Surely the virus carriers have a right to live as well. I don’t know. I definitely can’t forgive him for infecting Susan though; I should probably go see if she’s all right.
Dr Tinney scares me. He’s changed since we brought the Alpha to the installation. He has an almost crazy glint to his eyes. Apparently my blood is needed to keep the Alpha sedated, can’t say I’m too thrilled about the idea but it’s definitely better than him transforming again, he was a monster.
They’ve told me I’m not to go and see the Alpha under any circumstances. I wonder what they’re scared of…

* The rest of the diary entry was lost in the destruction of the Chimera installation *


- Diary extract from Patient Ø

© Copyright 2004 Rob (x2008 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/824821-Patient----File-1