*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/825937-Poetry-Newsletter-March-25
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: ASR · Editorial · Educational · #825937
Poetry newsletter March 25, 2004, subjective/objective point of view
         Writers should understand the difference between personal (subjective) and impersonal (objective) point of view. (This information can help writers understand the concept of using subjective and/or objective point of view in any type of writing.)

          In poetry, each point of view has a place and a need, depending on what the poet wants to create.

         Let's see if we can gain a better understanding of how to use each.




Personal/Impersonal Poetry
(or Subjective/Objective Poetry)


NOTE: Personal/subjective poetry uses first and second person. To make the poem more personal, intimate, the poet will want to be subjective. The poet becomes a part of the imagery.

Impersonal/objective poetry uses only third person. Some poetry requires the poet to stand back and present the imagery as an observer, rather than as a participant.

         I hope you still have your list of sensory words from last month's issue because to write some poetry, the list will help, as will the list of poetical devices. The poetic devices can be found in "Poetry Terms and Devices while sensory words are found in "Sensory Words.

         Below are two poems: one written with personal point of view and one written with impersonal point of view.

1. Read both versions.

2. Consider the similarities.

3. Consider the differences.

4. Find devices used in poems.

Examples of Personal (Subjective) and Impersonal (Objective) Poetry


Personal/subjective poem:

         Where Are You?
 by Vivian Gilbert Zabel
Where are you?
Your mind meanders meaninglessly
Through mazes I cannot find,
While eyes stare sightlessly at some void
Beyond where I can see.
I strain to hear the voiceless music
Your fingers drum accompaniment.
Your daydreaming is a living death
That I am unable to share.

(poetry devices used: alliteration, personification, oxymoron, metaphor, enjambement)


Impersonal/objective poem:

         Where Is Anyone?
 by Vivian Gilbert Zabel

Where is anyone?
Minds meander meaninglessly
Through mazes unfound.
Eyes stare sightlessly at some void
Beyond where others can see.
Straining to hear voiceless music,
Restless fingers drum accompaniment.
Daydreams become a living death
That no one can share.

{poetry devices used: alliteration, personification, metaphor, oxymoron, enjambement)


         Now, you're ready to write your own poetry:

1. Write your own personal/subjective poem with at least six lines and use at least four devices other than enjambement and/or caesura. (Check "Poetry Terms and Devices if you don't remember what these devices are, or if you don't remember any devices.)

2. Consider ways to make your poem impersonal.

3. Revise your poem to create an impersonal version.

4. Make a final copy of each.


Highlighted Poetry from Writing.Com Members


The following items are written in personal/subjective point of view. Some of the poems might need a bit of polishing, but they give good examples of that point of view.

 Soft Spring  (E)
Spring is peeking around the corner
#632545 by Write-fully Loti


 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#825981 by Not Available.


 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#825909 by Not Available.


Now, the next items give us impersonal/objective point of view.

 BUTTERFLIES  (E)
In search for simple happiness.
#507802 by Write-fully Loti


 Chaos  (E)
A philisophical poem of life...please rate and/or write a brief comment
#825978 by W.M. Francis


 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#576468 by Not Available.


I was surprised to find one example that has both personal and impersonal point of view mixed together in one poem.

 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#825884 by Not Available.





Feedback from Readers


Submitted By: Puditat
Well done, Vivian, on a lovely newsletter. All those gloriuosly descriptive words are brilliant gems in the black and white literary world.

Thank you very much for the compliment, which is poetic itself.

Submitted By: carole610
Thanks for such valuable info. I love to write using the senses. You've added a lot more possibilities for my computer brain. I'll store it, hopefully I'll use it! I certainly agree on having a thesaurus handy. Mine is getting worn big time. I've made a folder for all this good info!

Dream

I don't understand how anyone can write without a thesaurus and a dictionary at hand. There are times when spellcheck isn't the help I need, so I grab the dictionary. In oder to increase my vocabulary and to avoid repetition or to find just the right word needed, I snatch my well-worn thesaurus. Hmmm . . . we may both need to invest in a new one. *Delight*


Submitted By: auric
Viv,

Your sensory words issue was very helpful, and the way you went about sharing the tips was well-thought out and organized so that beginners can understand it. Even more accomplished poets such as myself can learn from this too. Great job!

Mark

Thank you for the compliment. Even accomplished poets (or writers of any kind) need to continue learning or our minds start dying. I learn something new every day -- some of which I think I could do without, but . . . Creativity needs nurishment.


Submitted By: Nikola~Loving Her Gracie Girl!
Vivian,
Wonderful newsletter! Lots of great info.
And, I received a side benefit as well. I have a bucket on my desk in which I put pieces of paper with a single word written on it. When I have a block, I'll take one or more out and use these as inspiration. In your list of "sense" words, I found several that I haven't thought of. They are now added to my stash--thanks!
~Nikola

What a great idea -- an idea bucket. In the comment above, I mentioned that creativity needs nurishment, and your bucket idea would provide just that.

Submitted By: Karen Bristow
Hi Viv!

I love reading your newsletters about poetry. Poetry is something I am just learning about, and your newsletters have taught me more than some of the books I've been pouring through!

Keep up the great work!

Take care and keep writing.

Thank you. These newsletters come from a book I've written with lesson plans that I used when I taught.


Submitted By: Elisa the Bunny Stik
Hey, Viv. Nice bit on sensory words. I have found that if the poem lacks anything you can relate to senses it can really go over a reader's head.

That said, I have to ask about lyrics. Often, lyrics get lumped with poetry, but in spite of their similarities, there is a difference between the two...or is there? What are your thoughts?

Lyrics are poetry meant to be sung. Some poetry, though, is not 'singable." So, yes, they are alike, yet, different, or different in some cases.

However, when lyrics are written to be read, then they need to be presented like any other kind of poetry so that the reader can follow and understand. I read a review recently that I thought was excellent about writing lyrics. The item being reviewed was written in "country" mode, as the words would be pronounced in a country/western song. The reviewer (I wish I knew who he/she is) stated that the writer was limiting the audience who might use the lyrics to country/western people. Then the reviewer gave an example of the way a couple of lines were written and how using correct pronunciation opened up the possibilities.



Submitted By: booth
Vivian:
Your newsletters have the esteemed value of being useful to writers of poetry AND prose. I always get something from them. Thanks for answering my questions. I never knew it, but I 've been using caesura and enjambment all along!
Well Done. Keep Writing.
MrWrite

I'm glad I have been able to help. Many people use poetical devices without realizing it.

Submitted By: navysurya
Viv-
Would you still like your readers to continue submitting poems with sensory details? Or would you like other types of poetry for examples in your newsletter? Also, I find your excercise for writing with sensory details very helpful. I am sure I will try to utilize your suggestions in the future when I am stuck or need to express. Thanks!! :) Navysurya

I always like to read good poetry. I may not be actively highlighting poetry with senory words, but much "sensory" poetry has other aspects that I will be highlighting. I'll be covering mood in poetry, so will need poetry that expresses different types of emotional moods. Then comes blank verse and free verse.


Until next time, keep reading and writing beautiful poetry.

Viv

A logo for Poetry Newsletter Editors

© Copyright 2004 Vivian (vzabel at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/825937-Poetry-Newsletter-March-25