*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/830648-Teenage-Anger-Coming-Out
Rated: E · Monologue · Teen · #830648
A short speech/rant about my anger at how powerless I truly am. Harsh but true.
Authority figures are the ones with power. They can essentially control us. They can change our lives. It is the police officer that stops you for looking slightly out of place. It is the bank that can foreclose on your mortgage. It is the landlord who can evict you. These people have worked and earned the ability to do these things to you. The policeman had to go through training, you went to the bank for a loan, and you stayed in the building owned by somebody else. They have power, and checks and balances with laws keep these intact. However, what happens without these rules and regulations set in place?
Parents and teachers have complete dominion, and their word is undisputable and final. A until you are eighteen, you have no true belongings. Parents can take and return them as they please. They can keep you in the house; they can make you go out. They can give you an allowance and take it back the next day. You cannot even check the balance in your bank account, as it is truly theirs with “your money” in it. A teacher can give you a detention for whatever reason they choose. They could simply not like you, or possibly be having a bad day. Homework can be given to them, and somehow get lost in the clutter of their desk. They do not need to show you your grade on any test or quiz, and can enter it freely into the grade books as whatever they choose it to be. What can be done to stop this tyranny?
The answer is simple; nothing. We have no rights, and cannot stand up for our rights. When you turn sixteen, you are legal working age and can get a job. There are two things wrong after this point. First, the money goes into your bank account that, as stated above, is not secure. Also you are taxed on the money you earn, just as all legal adults are. There is one major difference between them and you that most overlook, and that difference is voting rights. This country would not be here today if it had not been for a valiant struggle against taxation without representation. The British would raise taxes and the colonies could do nothing but pay. Now politicians are the English tyrants, and sixteen to eighteen year olds are the colonies. They can make us give up almost a whole week of work, and put it into Social Security. You would think that this would help us in the long run, but there will be no money left by the time we can reap the rewards. For approximately twenty-five percent of our lives we have no power, and no chance of gaining it. Now I must leave you two questions, how can we make change and what part will you play in bringing it about?
© Copyright 2004 Luke Shawburke (troyponce at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/830648-Teenage-Anger-Coming-Out