*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/836834-Blaze
Rated: 18+ · Short Story · Western · #836834
A framed gunslinger tries to save a small town from outlaws.
Sheriff Tripp marched quietly down the dusty street. The walk was empty, everyone was inside as they knew what was about to happen. This rookie lawman was trying to take on the No Mans, an outlaw gang that had been in control of the town for years now. They never took kindly to any lawmen there in Dry Throat, so they simply killed any that showed. Now it was high noon and Tripp was going to draw against the leader of the No Mans, Jake 'No Man'.
He saw Jake waiting in the middle of the road for him, a dirty-toothed grin on his face. Tripp stopped at his preferred distance. He called out to the grimy bandit, "This is your last day in this here town, Jake, any last words before justice befalls you?"
"Yeah, I do have some in fact." Jake yelled back.
"Well, out with it then. I ain't got all day to be standin' here flappin my gums with a dead man." Jake started to chuckle, his arms were crossed, not even near his guns. "My last words are," he paused, staring strait at Tripp, "look out behind you."
"You think I'm that dense, Jake? I'm no idiot, I won't turn around so you could put one in my back." Jake let out his wheezing laugh, "Suit yourself, then, Sheriff." Suddenly, a shot rang out. It was a rifle shot. Tripp tried to turn to see where it came from, but stopped moving when he realized he was on the ground.
Then the pain arrived.
His left leg was nearly separated at the knee. One of Jake's men had shot him from behind and up, from a balcony he figured. Tripp went to point his gun Jake's way, but was cut short when the outlaw took the pistol right out of his hand with a well placed shot. Jake casually walked to the downed sheriff and placed a boot on the back of his neck. He leaned in a bit to amplify the pain.
"You should have listened to me, Tripp," Jake said in a very serious tone, "now you'll swing with the others." Some of Jake's gang appeared out from their hiding places on the street and helped their leader drag the poor sheriff out of town. Dry Throat had a large sign just outside of town reading 'Welcome to Dry Throat,' under that, someone had scratched 'Lawmen Beware,' with a knife.
The sign post was quite tall and shaped like a 'T.' The large sign itself was on one of the 'T' arms, but the other arm had three ropes around it. The ends of the ropes each ended in nooses. Two of them had the two former sheriffs still hung from them, the third was empty... for now.
Minutes later, Tripp was kicking at the end of the rope, not even given the chance to brake his neck for a quick death.
When the kicking stopped, Jake reached up and took the badge off of Tripp's body. He clipped it to his vest, along with the five other badges he had from other sheriffs he encountered.

"Damn hot out today," the rider said to himself, looking up at the bright sun. The trees gave some shelter from the boiling rays, but it was still scorching out. He unscrewed his canteen of water and took a swig. He took off his brimmed hat and wiped the sweat from his forehead. He dumped some of the water on top of his head, cooling him a bit and washing some of the dust out of his long, black hair.
"Don't ya think, Abel?" He patted his horse's side. Abel let out a snort and continued sauntering along the woodland road.
"I know, boy, I know. I ain't havin' too much fun either. But when you're framed for murdering a mayor and his family you gotta get out of town. Even if that means makin' your best friend suffer through it." He chuckled and pet the horse again. "Don't worry though, Abel. Next town we hit we'll have a proper rest. That is, if we could ever find another town in this stinkin' territory. Feels like we traveled half the country and ain't seen nothin' but trees and rivers, eh?"
He let out a soft sigh. He wasn't sure if his horse understood what he was saying, but he had a slight inkling. His soft voice did seem to have an effect on Abel. Plus, he had no one else to talk to, why not his horse? He passed a sign on the road reading 'Dry Throat 5 miles.'
"Well, Abel, looks like we're close to a town, feel like a nice gallop the rest of the way?" Abel whinnied and took off.

The few miles went by quick and when the town could be seen on the horizon, the rider hopped off and walked Abel the rest of the way. He saw a sign post with the three hanged men on it.
"Looks like we got some strict rule here, eh boy?" He got close enough to read the sign, "'Lawmen Beware,' eh? Gotta be careful in here, Abel. At least we don't have to be worried about jail, though." He chuckled softly as they entered town. He headed for the building marked 'Horse Face Saloon.' He tied Abel to a post out front, "Keep a sharp eye out, boy."
He pushed through the swinging doors and took a look around. Piano music rose over the buzz of chatter. A few people sat at the bar, some silent, others talking. Many sat at tables, drinking and eating or playing cards. There were ladies for rent patrolling the saloon, looking for customers.
A few of the people looked up at him, but most ignored him, seeing he wore no badge. He sat down on a stool at the bar. The bartender approached him, cleaning a glass, "What's your poison, stranger?"
"I'll take a whiskey, barkeep. I gotta check my guns or anything? I know they make you give your weapons up at the door in Potter's Field." The stocky bartender laughed a deep laugh, "Stranger, givin' up your guns in this town is as good as givin' up your life." He plopped a shot glass down in front of the rider, took a bottle of whiskey from under the bar, and poured some. He set the bottle down next to the glass, "First one's on the house for new comers and take as much as you want. If you wanna start credit I'll need at least half the money due to let ya owe me."
"You're a mighty kind fella, friend, the sign outside is a bit misleading."
"No, fella it ain't. You see, the No Mans gang run this town. That fella over there with the red vest and brown shirt," he signaled toward a table in the back corner, "his name's Jake. He runs the No Mans and he ain't afraid to kill no one. He hates the law too. Most people in Dry Throat are polite 'cause they don't need to start trouble. We try to not need law here. But the No Mans still rob and rape and kill sometimes. But we've no where to go."
"I see, thanks a lot for the whiskey and information, barkeep. Now go on and tend those thirsty fellas there, maybe we'll talk later." The bartender walked to the other end of the bar and the rider drank down a shot. He poured another and downed that one too. It was fine whiskey, probably stolen by this gang. He felt a tap on his shoulder and turned bit.
A dirty looking man with a greasy beard and bad teeth was behind him, "The boss wants to see ya stranger, come on." His breath reeked of booze and rot.
"What about, friend?" The rider asked. The filthy man took out a pistol and stuck it on the rider's nose. "I says 'come on.'"
"Alright, friend, I'm coming, I'm coming." He stood up slowly and walked toward the table the barkeep showed him earlier. Jake was sitting with his feet up on the table, puffing a cigar. When he saw the rider coming toward him, he took his feet down and stood up.
"Howdy, partner," he extended a hand. With slight hesitation, the rider accepted the offer. "My name's Jake No Man and me and my boys run this town. You got a name?"
"Name's Blaze, it's a pleasure to meet you."
"Blaze? Why don't you give me the name your momma gave ya?"
"I will when you give me yours. I don't know any other No Mans than yourself."
"Point taken, Blaze. So, what're ya in town for, you plannin' on stayin' long? Ya ain't no lawman are ya?" Jake sunk back down in his chair.
"I came in for a break from the road, me and my horse needed it. I'll probably be in for a couple days at least. And no, I'm no lawman, I'm a bit of an outlaw actually." Blaze spoke in a soft, yet stern manner. He didn't like outlaws very much, even though he was one. Especially the kind this gang was, their smugness was enraging.
"Well, good. Maybe we can have a drink and a game of cards during your stay." Blaze just nodded. He made sure that Jake was finished talking and he went back to the bar. He took his stool and poured himself another shot and swallowed it down. The bartender came back to him, "You on his good side?"
"Can't tell, he seems on friendly terms, but I could feel his buddies' guns on me. So far I've met about three people in this town and I only like one of 'em." He tipped his glass toward the bartender. "By the way, barkeep, I didn't catch your name."
"Name's Gus Cole, my pleasure," he extended his hand. Blaze shook his hand, "I'm Blaze, just Blaze, and the pleasure's all mine." Blaze had another shot. "By the way, Gus, there a place here where I can have my horse tended to? He needs a good grooming and watering."
"Yeah, there is, in fact. Right at the edge of town there's a stable, fella by the name of Fred will help you out. That's a buck twenty five for the whiskey, by the way. I won't even bother telling you 'bout the whores in here. By the looks of that ring on your finger you ain't lookin' for a poke."
Blaze lifted his finger slightly and looked down at it. A gold band, faded from the road, was there. It was his wedding ring, "Good eye, Gus. You're right, I ain't. I'll be seeing ya, nice talkin' with ya." Gus nodded at him and took his money from off the bar. Blaze stood up and walked outside to Abel.
"Come on, boy. We're gonna get you nice and situated. Then I'll find me a nice bed." He walked the horse to the end of town and found the stable. It was pretty much empty, a couple old mares were the only inhabitants.
"Hello there, stranger." A voice called out from above. An old man was looking down at him from the loft. He climbed down a ladder, particularly nimble for someone of his age. He shook Blaze's hand, "What can I do for ya?" Blaze handed the old man Abel's reins, "My horse here needs a good cleanin' and feedin'. And if it's alright, I'd like to keep him here until I leave."
"Sure thing, friend. As you can see, there's plenty of room," he laughed heartily, "we don't get too many strangers here in Dry Throat. People are too scared of Jake and the No Mans. And all of the locals keep their horses by their houses. Two of those mares there belong to a couple who've stayed in the hotel since they got here. Never bothered to build a home. And that third mare over there is mine."
"I ain't never heard of the No Mans 'til I got here."
"You been livin' under a rock son? All of the towns in and around this territory has heard of them. They ain't afraid to shoot a lawman strait through the badge."
"And then hang them." Blaze recalled the three hanged men on the sign.
"You got it right, fella. They just got the new sheriff two days ago, he was a young gun, didn't know what he was doing."
"The townsfolk happy with these outlaws in control?"
"Well, most of us ain't, no. The only ones who like it are the gang and a few young sprats who heard too many stories. But, we can't do nothin' about it. We can't fight 'em because they're too good. The young guys don't wanna move 'cause they don't wanna look scared. Old folks, like me, are stubborn and don't wanna go 'cause we built this place," he gave a hardly toothy grin, "I'm Fred Milo, by the way."
"Blaze is the name."
"Well, I know that ain't your real name, but that's alright. Jake's real name ain't No Man either. You best find yourself a room at the hotel, you look dog tired. You just leave your horse here and I'll take good care of him."
"Thanks, Mr. Milo, his name's Abel."
"Please, call me Fred, now get goin', you're fallen asleep where ya stand." Fred laughed again. Blaze tipped his hat to Fred and walked out of the stable. He recalled seeing a sign that said something about rooms and baths across from the saloon.

Blaze walked into the Higgins Hotel. A middle aged man sat dozing behind a desk. When Blaze closed the door, he made a point to make a little noise with it. The man behind the desk woke up with a start and looked at Blaze.
"Well howdy, friend," he said in an enthusiastic voice, "welcome to Dry Throat, I'm Troy Higgins and I own this place. You lookin' for a room?"
"Yes I am Troy, you have any vacancy," Blaze was sure he did, but he asked anyway, out of politeness.
"Why yes I do. Only got two people stayin' here right now. I get my pay from them, prospectin', doin' a few jobs at the Horse Face or some other stores, and my favorite, the occasional drunk that comes in too intoxicated to find his home, also they tend to over pay me," he laughed. That little speech seemed almost scripted.
"So, how much is a room?" Blaze started reaching around in his pocket.
"Ten dollars a night stranger. Sundays are free."
"I'll give you twenty now, for tonight and tomorrow. If I stay longer I'll pay up then."
"That'll do just fine Mr..." he trailed off, realizing he didn't know this man's name.
"Blaze, just Blaze."
"OK then, Mr. Blaze, here's your key. It's for room number six, right up them stairs there. The unmarked door next to your room is has a bath in it. If you're lookin' to take one I'm afraid you'll have to draw it yourself, my maid is workin' her shift over at the Horse Face. Room number seven is Mr. and Mrs. Cubby's quarters. They're out right now. Sweet couple they are."
"Thank you kindly, Troy." Blaze turned and started walking up the stairs to his right.
"Enjoy your stay in Dry Throat, Mr. Blaze," Troy called after him.

After a refreshing bath, Blaze stepped into his room. Boy, did that bed look good to his tired eyes. He took off his long brown coat and hung it on the hook near the door, he did the same with his hat. He unhooked his gun belt, setting on the table near the bed, along with his bandoleers full of lose bullets and a few boxes of extra bullets. He sat down on the bed and kicked his boots off. He rested his head on the soft pillow and was quickly asleep.
He awoke several hours later, the sun was barely peaking over the horizon now. He heard someone shouting, but trying to keep their voice down. A female voice retaliated against the first voice.
"I guess the happy couple is back." Blaze mused to himself. He yawned and stretched and sat up. He slid his boots back on and put his guns and bullets back on. He retrieved the hat and coat and threw those on. He stepped out the door just as Mr. Cubby was exiting his room carrying a black jacket. Cubby stopped and stared when he saw Blaze, and Blaze stoically returned the stare.
"You're new here." Cubby said Blaze. Cubby was breathing heavily, in rage apparently, he and his wife must have had some argument. His fancy haircut was ruffled a bit and his small black mustache was wet with sweat. His clothes were hardly fancy, they were full of dirt and mud. Prospecters' clothes, Blaze figured.
"Yeah, I am. How you doin', friend?" Blaze put his hand out. Cubby fixed his unset collar and briefly shook Blaze's hand.
"I could be better, sir. The name's Philip Cubby, the banshee in there is my wife, Gloria. Sorry about the racket, we had a bit of a disagreement." Blaze could tell by his accent he had been from farther east, possibly Chicago or New York.
"Don't worry about, Cubby, it was time for to get up anyway. I'm Blaze, by the way, just Blaze. If you don't mind my asking, are you from back east, you sure sound like it?"
"Yes, yes I am. I'm from New York. Blaze is your name, eh? That surely isn't your real name, is it?"
"It's not the name I got when I came into this world, but it's real enough now." Blaze said diligently. Cubby saw he was stepping onto forbidden grounds, "I see."
"So, you and your wife get struck with gold fever?"
"Yes we did, about six months ago we decided to head to a very remote town, one that not too many people populated. So, we came here and we've been here since, been doing fine gold wise, too." His tone and manner didn't suggest they were doing very well at all.
"You don't look like you're doin' too good. Somethin' botherin' ya, Cubby?" Cubby looked over the banister nervously. He then looked back to Blaze and began to whisper intensely, "We both hate it here, but we can't leave," Blaze raised an eyebrow questioningly, "when we got here one of the first people we ran into was Jake No Man. He said he'd show me where a fine source of gold was located on the condition that I give him my Gloria. Now, Blaze, I assure you, I am not that greedy of a man.
On risk of my own life I told that vagrant off. He said he wouldn't stoop to killing a man for a woman, but there was a catch. He still wanted to look at my wife, admire her from afar. He told us never to be gone from the town longer than a day. If we were, he would track us down, easily I'm sure, and kill us both. As I'm sure you know a day is no where near enough time to make it to another town. So all we can do is sit around here, looking for gold to keep us alive and sheltered.
That dispute you heard was Gloria telling me to attack Jake, but I told her I can't. You see, Blaze, I am skilled with a gun, but I fight fair. That is something No Man won't do. I'll be dead before I raised my gun by either him or one of his gang members. It's quite the predicament."
"I'll say, Cubby. I met Jake earlier when I got here and he rubs me wrong every which way. So, as long as I'm in town, you at least got a friend in me."
"Thank you, Blaze. Where are headed tonight?"
"Over to the Horse Face. Figure I can get in on card game."
"Mind if I join you? I fancy the game of poker myself."
"Of course, come along." The two stepped out of the hotel and crossed the street. When they entered they spotted an empty table and sat at it. An attractive waitress approached them, "What'll you boys have?"
"Whiskey." Blaze said, his soft voice taking the waitress off guard coming from his rough looks.
"Gin, please, miss." Cubby requested politely.
"I'll be right back with your bottles, gents." She walked toward the bar.
"You got cards, Cubby?" Blaze asked.
"Why, yes I do." Cubby reached into his jacket pocket and pulled out a deck of cards.
"Deal 'em out, let's see if we gather a few more players for a good game. We'll bet small for these games between us. Don't want to lose all our money to each other. You cheat?"
"No, you?" Blaze shook his head, "I don't cheat, unless I have to, this is one of my main sources of income. If I catch you cheatin' I won't say nothin' at the table, you just give me some of your winnings from that hand. You do the same for me." Cubby nodded and started dealing a hand. After a few games, their money stacks were still about even. The both of them were extraordinary card players.
A local who just came in sat down and asked if he could join the game. They let him in, welcoming his money. A few more hands later, Jake No Man approached them.
"Howdy Phil, Blaze, Johnny," he nodded at the other man when he said the last name, "you boys mind if I get in on the gamble. I've been itchin' for a good round of poker and by the looks of those money stacks this is the table to be." None of the three men wanted any trouble with the man behind that crocodile smile.
"Have a seat, Jake." Blaze said, moving the empty seat next to him out a little with his foot.
"Thank you kindly, boys," Jake sat down and took his money out, "let's play boys."

They played for hours. Johnny got up and left after losing nearly all of his money. Jake was doing alright, but he wasn't winning either. Blaze and Cubby had nearly doubled their stacks.
"You boys are quite the card players, best I've played against for awhile. In fact, I believe I'm gonna call it a night before I lose all of my cash. G'night gents," Jake stood up and stuffed what little money he had left into his pocket, "Phil, say hello to Gloria for me. Blaze, I know you may be leaving soon, if I don't see you out, goodbye." There was a tone to his voice that carried bad omen for Blaze.
"Good night, Jake, nice playin' with ya," Blaze tipped his hat to him.
"Night, Jake." Cubby said.
"Oh, by the way, boys. If I find out that either of you cheated tonight, I will murder you." He walked away toward his present gang.
"And there you have it. The true colors of Jake No Man." Phil mused.
"Yeah, all yellow. If it were up to me, I'd stain that yellow red." Blaze sipped his drink, then a look of attaining an idea, "In fact, I think my stay here has just extended." He finished his drink and set the glass down.

Blaze awoke late the next morning. He and Cubby had stayed in the bar late drinking and playing cards. Cubby wanted to give his wife time to cool down and Blaze had nothing better to do. Blaze had decided that he liked Cubby, alot, he could trust Cubby and wanted to help him. He figured that he would have to kill Jake before he left or he would have to help Cubby do it.
Blaze got dressed quickly and walked downstairs. Higgins was behind his desk counting some money that he had gained last night some how. He looked up and smiled broadly, "Ah, Mr. Blaze, good mornin'. You sleep well?"
"Yeah, I did, Troy. Your beds are pretty nice."
"Thank you kindly. Only the best for my customers." Blaze nodded and began making his way out. Higgins stopped him before he got out the door, "Oh, Mr. Blaze. Mr. Cubby and his wife are over at the Horse Face. He asked me to tell you he wanted you to join them for breakfast."
"Thank you for the message, Troy. I'll go meet them now." Blaze stepped out, he heard Higgins call after him, something about a good day. Blaze crossed the street and passed through the swinging doors of the saloon. He saw Cubby waving at him from the table they had occupied last night, an attractive woman sitting next to him that only could have been Gloria Cubby.
"Mornin', Cubby." Blaze said simply.
"Morning, Blaze. I'd like to introduce you to my lovely wife, Gloria." Blaze made a slight bow and removed his hat, "How do you do, miss?"
"I'm just fine, Mr. Blaze. Philip told me all about you this morning. You seem like a fine gentleman. Well, anyone with a dislike for Jake No Man is alright in my book from the start." Blaze sat down, "Yes, ma'am, I don't like the fella at all. I don't like what he's said to me and I don't like what he's doing to you good people."
A waitress came to the table and asked Blaze if he wanted anything. He ordered coffee, eggs, and potatoes. The three of them discusseed various subjects until Gloria asked about his name.
"Mr. Blaze, if you don't mind my asking, why do you go by Blaze? Surely that isn't your real name."
"Well, ma'am, it's not my birth name, if that's what your asking. But Blaze is my name now and it's real enough for me." Her eastern curiosity was unrelenting, "What ever would make you want to change your name to Blaze? You don't seem like a rough and rowdy outlaw that you need an alias."
"Well, Gloria, what you see isn't always what you get."He replied in the most non-rude manner. She saw she was pressing all the wrong buttons, so she let it drop. She took a sip of her coffee, but the handle on the cup broke and the liquid contents spilled all over her white morning dress. "Oh dear me," she stood up quickly, wiping at the stain with a handkerchief, "excuse me, please. I'll go back to the hotel and fix this." She scampered out of the doors, leaving Blaze and Cubby to themselves.
"She's some piece of work, eh, Blaze?" Cubby said, smiling toward the still-swinging doors.
"Sure is, Cubby, sure is," Blaze sipped his coffee. His tone was an obvious sign of discomfort. Cubby caught it fast, "I apologize for all her questions, she likes to know all she can about a person. But surely you get that question often. Actually, I don't really know anything about you. Surely everyone sees that ring on your finger and they have to wonder, where'd it come from."
Blaze sat silently for a moment, "You're stepping on rough ground, Cubby. But, I like ya, so I'll give ya your answers." Cubby said nothing, he only nodded and moved a little closer so he could hear better.
"Three years ago, I was sittin' inside my home in Wolf Pass, eating breakfast with the most beautiful, smart, lovely woman that I'd ever met. She was my wife, Cubby, her name was Helen. That's why a wear this ring, Cubby, I was married, damn happy too. I had a boy, Thomas, seven years of age. I was sheriff of that town too.
Everyone in that town looked up to me and liked me. I can shoot a prairie dog from yards away, even when it was half hiding in its burrow. Not one bandit, outlaw, or criminal left my town outside of a wooden box. One night, I was visiting with the mayor and his family. A bandit came to town that night. I stepped into the mayor's home and found him and his family dead, shot to death.
I drew my gun, in case the killer was still there. The local priest came in at that time, he was invited to the get together too. He saw the bodies and the gun in my hand and put the two together. He ran out, screaming how I killed them. I rushed back to my house, knowin' I needed to get my family out of town. I saw my house burnin', it lit up the night with flame. The bandit had set the place alight and was standin' there to enjoy the screams of my wife and my son.
I recognized him, he worked for an outlaw named Timothy Brass. I'd killed one of Brass' closest men, that was why he was doing this. I put a bullet in the bandit's brain and ran into my home. I was too late, Cubby. My Helen and my Thomas were burned alive that night. The townspeople came by soon afterward and I had to get away. I hopped on my horse and took off.
My real name belonged in Wolf Pass, so I left it there. Now, I always told my life, if I were gonna die I'd wanna go down in a blaze of glory, shootin' and fallin' in a hail of bullets. So, my wife started callin' me Blaze after that. So, I decided to go by that and in every town I've gone in since I've introduced myself as Blaze.
I'm an outlaw, Cubby.
There you have it, that's my story." Cubby was dumbfounded, "My God, Blaze, I'm terribly sorry."
"It's alright, Cubby, I didn't have to tell ya. Just keep that whole thing to yourself, will ya?"
"Sure thing, Blaze."
"And, while we're talking, Cubby. I plan on killing Jake before I leave. If you want in, you're welcome. If you don't, I'll be alright on my own."
"I'll do whatever I can, Blaze."
"Good."

Cubby entered his room and found Gloria feverishly trying to remove the stain from her dress.
"Sorry I had to get up and leave like that, Philip, but I needed to get at this before it stained permanently. I hope I didn't offend Mr. Blaze."
"Don't worry, Gloria, he is fine. He just doesn't like talking about himself."
"So I noticed," she laughed, "he is a handsome fellow, though."
"Now, now, Gloria," Cubby knew pefectly well that she was joking, "do make me have to shoot him over you." They shared a laugh. After the laughing had subsided, Cubby's mood became serious. "Um, Gloria, Blaze wants to get rid of Jake, I mean permanently. I offered myself as help and I will shoot Jake myself if I have to."
"Philip, no. Do you realize how dangerous this is? You could be killed."
"Gloria, you always tell me that I should do something about Jake, why the change of heart?"
"I guess, I never thought you'd take a gun to him."
"What did you think, Gloria, I could talk him out of this? He wouldn't listen to me, he'd sooner shoot me. He kills travellers just for some supplies, he isn't one that listens to reason." She ran to him and took his hands in hers.
"Oh, Philip, I just don't want to see you hurt."
"Don't worry, Gloria, I have Blaze on my side. In fact, I need to talk to him. I'll go to his room right now. Stay here, I won't be long." He quickly turned and walke out the door, ignoring the calls of Gloria behind him.

Jake No Man sat with his feet up at his favorite table in the back corner of the Horse Face, with his back to the wall. He took a swig out of his bottle of whiskey and noticed one of his croonies, Jeb, walking in. He and another member of the gang had gone out on a wagon raid and Jake figured Jeb was coming in to report the news of success. Jeb removed his hat and looked at Jake with a less than successful look.
"Where's my haul, Jeb?" Jake inquired, that's the only thing he cared about.
"Well, you see, Jake, we, um," Jeb tripped over his own words. Jake pulled out a revolver and pulled the hammer back, "Where's my haul, Jeb?" He spoke much more sternly.
"We didn't get it, Jake." Jeb mumbled in fear.
"What? Where's Buck?"
"He died, sir. The wagon had six men on it, three with rifles. Buck got shot strait through the head and the heart. I rode off before I got the same." There was silence for a moment, then Jake shot Jeb through the right had. Jeb screamed and started reaching for the wound when Jake put a bullet through Jeb's other hand.
"Don't ever mess your job again, or else it'll be worse. Now get the Hell outta my sight, go see the doc." Jeb ran out, leaving drops of blood behind him. Even though Jake had just lost a wagon's worth of loot, he enjoyed what he had just did. The smile on his grimy bearded face vanished when he saw the man in the long, brown trench coat walk in.
"Blaze," Jake called out to him, Blaze turned his dark eyes in Jake's direction, "come over here, Blaze." Blaze wasn't worried at all, he paced over to Jake's table, almost intimidating him.
"What is it, Jake?"
"I see you're still in town, I thought you were leavin' today." Blaze shook his head, "I decided to stay a bit longer."
"Well, I don't like it to tell you true. I don't like it at all. Now, I want you outta my town by noon tomorrow or I'll kill ya, personally."
"I guess I'll see you at noon than."
"You really gonna test your skill against me and my men, boy. We ain't in control for nothin'."
"I'll see you tomorrow, Jake, guns in hand." Blaze turned and walked away. Jake was shocked. Blaze actually had the guts to turn his back to him. He shook his head, and laughed out loud.

Blaze knocked on Cubby's door. Cubby answered, "Hello, Blaze, what's the story?"
"Tomorrow, Cubby, I draw against Jake and whatever men he brings. There probably won't be too many, most of his gang are out on wagon raids. But, his men fight dirty, they won't be on the street with him, they'll be up, I reckon. If you wanna help me, it'd be welcome, but you don't have to, you can stay inside, safe with your wife."
"I told you before, Blaze, I'd do whatever I can."
"Good, you're a good man, Cubby. Now, what kind of weapons you got?"
"I have two pistols, a rife, a pick axe, and a shovel."
"Not bad, you a marksman or a gunslinger?"
"Define 'gunslinger.'"
"Are you better at shootin' from one place or can you move around and shoot on the run? That's a better way of askin'."
"I'd be a marksman than, I've hunted, but never dueled, so I've never really ran around on the gun."
"Perfect, we got one of each, than. Alright, listen, this is how I want it to work tomorrow. The place next door is empty and it has some good windows upstairs. That's where I want you. You look for any men who would shoot me from behind or up top. Anyone other than Jake, in other words, you find them and shoot as many as you can usin' what rifle bullets you have. When you run out of rifle ammunition, switch to your pistols and watch for anyone you didn't get or anyone new.
You can take your pick axe or shovel if you want to, just for a little extra safety. I'll take down whoever I can see. Any questions?"
"I don't think so, no, I cover you from cover while you clean up, that's the idea, right?"
"Yeah, that's the gist of it." Cubby nodded. "Get some sleep, Cubby, I need you well rested."

Cubby went to the building early, so as not to be spotted. When Gloria told him of this, he was pleased, "Good move, Cubby, you're really thinkin'," Blaze thought to himself sincerly. He stepped out on the street and saw Jake standing in the street, already at the perfect distance. Blaze stepped into the center of the street and prepared to draw.
"You sure you don't want to go, boy, I'll let you leave right now if you want." Jake called out, his cockiness enraging Blaze.
"Shut up and I'll count the draw, Jake," there was silence, "Ten, nine, eight, seven, six," a shot rang out, a rifle. Jake smiled, thinking that one of his boys had taken Blaze from the roof of the Horse Face. His joy left when not Blaze, but his man, fell, tumbling down from the roof tops.
"Draw!" Jake's attention shot back to Blaze as Blaze took out two pistols and began firing as he ran off to the right. Jake shot back and dove for cover on the Horse Face's walkway. Other bullets hit the ground from Jake's snipers. Two more bodies hit the ground from Cubby's rifle.
"Damn, Cubby, you didn't tell me you were so good." Blaze mused to himself while he reloaded his pistols, hiding in an alleyway between the hotel and the general store next to it.
Cubby took aim and shot, barely missing a man across the way in a building window. He was able to take the first three down because he had surprised them, but now they were shooting back. He ducked under the window and quickly popped back out, shooting again at the same gunman. He got him this time, catching him in the arm, putting him out of the fight.
Blaze looked up and saw someone sneaking out of the building across the street, he shot him dead with little effort aiming wise. He popped out around the corner and shot in Jake's direction. Jake was hiding behind a watering trough, he was firing in the same fashion that Blaze was, blindly and randomly.
Cubby put down the last few men that he could see. He put down his rifle, as it was empty, and took up one of his pistols. He started firing in Jake's general direction, not being able to get a good shot because of the awning over the walk. He spotted two men rushing toward his building out of nowhere. He tried to shoot them, but couldn't hit them. He moved from the window and pressed his back up against the wall next to the doorway.
He took his pick axe up and held it high above his head. He heard the two stomping up the stairs. The first rushed into the room, not even seeing Cubby. Cubby brought the pick axe down and buried it into the back of the bandit's neck. The bandit fell dead and Cubby quickly dropped to his knee. The second man halted and became weary, but he didn't expect the shot to come low. Cubby attempted to dive out, but instead it was more of a trip as he pushed from his crouch and fell on his side.
He shot first and killed the bandit with a bullet through the heart. Cubby ran back to his post near the window, he had to wait, he was out of ammunition. It was all between Blaze and Jake now.

"This has turned into quite the stalemate, Jake. What're we gonna do, sit here and shoot at nothin' until we run outta bullets? We gonna fight hand to hand then?"
"I don't think so, Blaze. I think you're gonna move from there soon enough."
"You know what, Jake?"
"What?" Blaze slid the last bullet into his second pistol, then he called out, "You're right." He quickly bolted out and ran across the street, firing at Jake. Jake fired back, not scoring any hits though. He knew he had Blaze though, Blaze was almost out of bullets. A few more shots and he'd be able to shoot him easily. Sure enough, he heard the clicks of a hammer hitting nothing.
Jake popped up from his cover, both guns blazeing. Blaze was still on the move, he tossed down his two guns and flipped his jacket open wide, revealing four more guns strapped to his side. He drew two and started firing. Jake was taken by surprise, he hadn't expected that. He had no where to duck now, Blaze was too close.
Another thing Jake didn't expect, Blaze's sprint went from sideways to forward. Jake tried to take advantage and took aim at Blaze's head. Just as Jake squeezed the trigger, Blaze dropped his knee in and went into a slide along the ground. He dodged the bullet from Jake and put one of his own in Jake's gut.
Jake whinced but he was tough, he aimed low and shot, catching Blaze in his extended right leg. Blaze was tough too, he used what momentum he had and like lightning went into and crouch and pushed out. The push brought him diving ahead and he rapidly shot into Jake, who was no more than five feet from him. He peppered Jake with bullets.
Jake dropped his guns and stumbled back from the shots. He fell backwards, dead before he hit the ground.

Blaze limped out of the doctor's home, his leg wrapped up. He'd be alright, the bullet barely did any damage. Cubby was waiting for him when he came out.
"Are you going to be alright, Blaze?" Cubby asked.
"Yeah, doc says I'll be just fine."
"You'll be leaving soon, I'd imagine."
"Yep, I'm gonna head to the stable now and get my horse and ride out. Goodbye, Cubby, I wish you and your wife good days, good nights, hell, good afternoons too." He laughed and started toward the stable. Cubby rawn to his side and halted him.
"Um, Blaze, would it be alright if Gloria and I joined you?"
"You wanna ride with me, Cubby?"
"Yes, we both do, your company can be rather entertaining."
"You see what kind of trouble I can bring, don't ya Cubby?"
"Yes, but we're willing to risk it."
"Well, alright then, pack lightly, I'll meet you two outside of the hotel."

Soon, Blaze was atop Abel, riding out of town, Cubby and Gloria in tow. He barely gave a second look as he rode past the town's sign, the sign from which Jake No Man hung from his neck.
© Copyright 2004 Abominae (ledzep at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/836834-Blaze