*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/837722-The-Monster
by Diane
Rated: E · Short Story · Children's · #837722
Story for Writers Cramp about a bunny with bulging eyes.
Mirabelle crept down the staircase. She peeked around the corner at the dining room table. That's where he left it. Every year a basket was left on the dining room table. He dressed it up in pretty spring colors to hide it's true identity.

Mirabelle quaked as she tiptoed closer to the table. She didn't see it yet. Still uncertain but hopeful, she stretched her neck to see the far edge of the table. There it was; hiding in the back corner! She heard somebody coming down the stairs and ducked under the tablecloth.

Mirabelle trembled as the feet came closer to her hiding place. They were going to make her touch it! She edged closer to the back of the table, hoping to slide through and enter the kitchen unnoticed. A pair of legs blocked the doorway to the kitchen. She was trapped. Mirabelle curled into a tight ball and closed her eyes. She put her small fist into her mouth to trap the sobs that longed to escape.

The tablecloth lifted and a hand reached under to touch Mirabelle's shoulder. "Come on out silly girl, the Easter Bunny left you a present." Daddy said.

"Ahhhhhhh!" screamed Mirabelle as she darted out from under the table.

Daddy captured her mid-stride and swung her up into his arms. He nuzzled her neck with his scratchy beard and chuckled as she squirmed to get free. Mirabelle struggled not to laugh as Daddy's stubble tickled her face. This was serious business.

"Look, he left you a pink basket this year Mirabelle." Mommy said.

"I don't want it!" yelled Mirabelle, shaking her head from side to side and kicking her feet. The dog ears on her slippers made a slapping sound each time they hit Daddy's leg.

Daddy frowned, "Why don't you want your Easter basket, Mira?"

Mirabelle hid her face in Daddy's neck. "The monster is hiding in there." she whispered.

Mommy and Daddy looked at each other. "Do you know what she's talking about?" Daddy mouthed. Mommy shook her head no. Confused, Mommy asked Mirabelle to tell her about the monster.

"It's got big eyes and it's empty inside." she said.

Daddy moved closer to the basket and told Mirabelle to show him the monster.

"No!" screamed Mirabelle. She struggled to get out of Daddy's arms.

Mommy reached out and took Mirabelle from Daddy. "Stop wiggling. We're not going to make you look in the basket if you don't want to. Daddy and I will just eat all the chocolate and jellybeans the Easter Bunny left for you." she said.

Mommy started to walk out of the dining room with Mirabelle in her arms. She stopped when she heard Mirabelle whisper, "Jellybeans?" Tears filled Mirabelle's eyes at the thought of losing her favorite candy.

"Yes," Mommy said, "there are jellybeans in the basket."

"Even red ones?" Mirabelle asked.

Daddy smiled at Mommy over Mirabelle's head. "Yes. I like the red jellybeans the best. I think I'll eat those first." he told Mommy.

"Save the pink ones for me, they're my favorite." Mommy said.

She walked over to the couch in the living room and put Mirabelle down. She tucked a well worn afghan with a pony stitched on the front around Mirabelle's legs and kissed her on the forehead. Mirabelle stared at her yellow dog slippers poking out from under the afghan. The dog's tongue was frazzled at the end, red strings hanging in all directions. She grabbed one of the strings and ripped it off the slipper and threw it on the floor. It wasn't fair that Mommy and Daddy were going to eat the jellybeans. They were her jellybeans but the monster was guarding them.

Determined not to miss out on the jellybean feast Mirabelle threw off the covers and ran into the dining room. "Those are my jellybeans!" she yelled.

"I thought you didn't want them." said Daddy with a sparkle in his eye.

Mirabelle squared her shoulders and walked up to the basket. She would have to take the jellybeans while the monster watched. She didn't think the monster could hurt her while Mommy and Daddy were there with her. She took a deep breath, closed her eyes, grabbed the jellybeans and ran back to the couch.

Mommy and Daddy laughed as she skidded across the wooden floors.

"What do you think she's so scared of?" Daddy asked.

"I have no idea." Mommy responded. She reached into the basket and grabbed the chocolate bunny. "Do you want to split it?"

"Sure." he said. "I don't think she's coming back for more!"

Mirabelle sat on the couch eating the jellybeans. She could hear Mommy and Daddy mumbling in the other room. Later she would wonder what happened to the chocolate bunny monster with the bulging blue eyes.
© Copyright 2004 Diane (sgambill72 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/837722-The-Monster