*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/838729-Sonaphobia-Fear-of-Dreaming
Rated: E · Short Story · Supernatural · #838729
I would look at the swallowing sky, a feeling that a potent force of nature...
Dreaming has always been my departure from a harsh reality. Only in my dreams could I soar through the skies, or be an important political figure in history. But now I am afraid. Lately my dreams have been haunting and dreadful.
         Just last night a spirit from the dead came to visit me. It must have been 3 a.m. when I awoke from one of my usual nightmares, only to find that I was incapable of movement. Then a voice very close to me whispered,
         "I have possessed you. Now only I can control your movements."
          "Who are you?" I asked
The spirit told me that it had died in war and that his whole family was bombed to death as a result. These past memories which seemed to besiege him at that moment made him ponder solemnly for a while, until he left my body weeping. Yes! Now I had control over my own body. I got up from the bed knowing the true definition of freedom; astonished at what seemed to me a supernatural occurrence.
          ***
I never told anyone that a spirit had spoken to me. For what? So I could be convicted of madness? I decided it was best to speak to a priest in my church about my experience.
          The Catholic Church sure is rich! Inside I can see expensive paintings of Jesus and the apostles. Even the windows have a baroque glass that must have cost a fortune. I expected to find many humble worshipers singing hymns or kneeling in prayer. Instead all I saw were empty seats. The place was entirely deserted.
          As I searched I heard faint mumbles. I began to follow the sound until finally across from me was a door where the mumbles were much louder. The voice grew forceful and dogmatic, as if saying the most important things a man can say in life.
          "But father, in the end of days the moon shall turn to blood, and the Earth shall experience a cataclysm it has never experienced before. It is said the heavens itself shall fall on the Earth, causing mass destruction; the end of everything as we know it."
What a creepy thing to say I thought. I better just go away.
          ***
I was safe at home, but there was danger in my dreams. I dreamed that the sun disappeared into oblivion in the same simple manner one might flick the kitchen lights, and because the earth lost its source of light, the radiance and glamour of millions of stars light years away became visible. It was like watching holy angels brilliantly racing towards the earth in utter darkness. It was a frightening scenario indeed. In my dream I was cold and engulfed by intense fear.
          The next day I dreamed Saturn was crashing against Earth. Just a dream, but only I know how truly afraid I was. Not only did I become afraid of dreaming, but the heavens themselves with all their immensity were frightening.
         Ever since then, every time I would look at the swallowing sky, a feeling that a potent force of nature would suddenly cause the sun to burn mankind alive or make the moon play the role of a falling asteroid grasped my psychology. I fell down to the earth below me, hoping that gravity shall always be.
© Copyright 2004 Mario Lopez (loveisevil1 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/838729-Sonaphobia-Fear-of-Dreaming