*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/840822-Emotion-Drive-and-Downfall-of-Humanity
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Essay · Educational · #840822
A personal view on the greatness and darkness of emotion
Emotions are a great strength and a great weakness in humanity. There is nothing else about us that raises us to such great heights...and plunges us to such depths. I have always wondered why so many people do the things they do, and why they seem so surprised when things go badly for them when their emotions cause them to do bad things.

First off, I want to make it clear that I am not saying that emotions are a bad thing. After all, it is our emotions that make us who and what we are. Humanity's emotions have been responsible for most of our greatest creations in art, science, medicine, etc. Emotions are responsible for every daring rescue, victory against overwhelming odds and a host of other instances as well.

Unfortunately, emotions are also responsible for every murder, atrocity and depraved act in humanity's long history. Wars, massacres, genocides...all the result of individuals controlled by their own emotions. We often ask why such things happen, or are allowed to happen. The answer is simple and yet so very complex at the same time. It happens because people allow themselves to be controlled by their emotions.

What is the solution to this particular problem? Teach people to cut off their emotions? Of course not. Besides being impossible, you would have to cut off the good as well as the bad. The solution is to try to learn to be the master of your emotions. You must learn to use your head to control your heart. It isn't a matter of not feeling, it is a matter of controlling your response to it.

It is perfectly normal to react to emotional impulses. We all do it to varying degrees and in normal day to day life, it isn't that big of a deal. It is when the emotional impulse overrides logic and common sense that you often get into trouble. "It seemed like a good idea at the time" is a phrase often heard from people who found out that their good idea wasn't so good. All too often, the mistakes we make could have been avoided if we'd just used our heads and actually thought about what we were doing.

It is almost a guarantee that no matter how hard you try, you will fall prey to an emotional reaction and do something stupid. I've done it, you've done it, we've all done it and will probably do it again. Perfection is not an option for us. What we can do and should try to do, however, is to put forth every effort to keep those instances to a minimum. Think about what you do before you do it. Consider the consequences of what could and would happen. Who will it affect and how will it affect them? Ask yourself these and other questions before you act. If you do, you will find life to be a lot easier than if you don't.
© Copyright 2004 MasterDragon (masterdragon at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/840822-Emotion-Drive-and-Downfall-of-Humanity