*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/843158-Hiccups-and-Lost-Voices
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Comedy · #843158
A story of my worst day in school, PLEASE READ AND REVIEW!!! thanks :)
Life will never go on after this day!

I sit in the back of the room, my eyes glued to the floor. Don’t call on me, I beg silently. I cross my fingers, toes and eyes- you can never have too much good luck, right?

The teacher’s eyes search the classroom, for someone to prey upon. It has to be someone who doesn’t want it, of course, so I have to look like I’ll answer the question. How can I do that? I never talk aloud in this class; it would break my ‘cool’.

She’s searching, tearing apart the room with her gaze, I hold back another blemish in my voice, but she hears me.

Crap, crap, crap, crap, crap, crap!

She begins to walk closer to my desk- I avoid any eye contact at all- NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Don’t call on me!

I resort to using telekinesis. I send brain wave messages to her, “You don’t want to call on her, she wants to say it! Don’t call on her- she’ll make the homework look to easy! You’re making a mistake!”

But, it doesn’t work. She opens her mouth and says the first syllable of my name- “Ra…” the short sound sends me further into my desk- I probably can’t get out now- I’m crouched to over too far.

“A…ch” the next syllable leaves her lips as she gets closer to my desk. The class around me blurs and I wonder why a second can stretch so long.

“Al…” she says the last syllable of my name and I know it’s over. I start thinking of ways to start my obituary.

“She was a good person, but she made a stupid decision to come to school that day.”

“It was such a sad,, but common, ending to her. Being stoned out of school, the students took no pity.”

“She will be remembered, and a school urban legend forever.”

Whatever, they all sound good, I just hope they will remember me before this stupid day.

The teacher is talking but I can barely hear her words, I know when she finishes it will be my turn to speak, and to die. I can sense she’s almost done speaking- I don’t know how- it’s like a giant tidal wave suspended over my head.

I hear the theme song of Jaws playing through my head. Duh- duh, Duh- duh, duh- duh- nananana! AH!!!!!!

Okay, it’s all over, her lips cease to move and everyone is staring at me. Staring, staring, staring! They want to devour me- to eat me whole- to diminish any of the ‘cool’ I had left. They are expecting me to stop. Here it goes- I have to, don’t I?

I open my mouth, “The answer (hiyuck) is (hiyuck) four!”

I close my eyes and wait for the laughing to begin- my mom sucks! My voice had come out raspy and barely audible- stupid colds! And of course I had to get the hiccups! Hiyuck? I sound like a freaking donkey!

Slowly, but surely, the laughing begins. DAMN SCHOOL! I am dieing of humiliation, I feel warmth cross my face, and I know I look too much like an apple.

Err… I hate school. The whole class must be laughing now- I dare not open my eyes, there’s a roaring in my ears- is it from embarrassment? Or the whole school laughing? Surely the word of my croaked voice has spread through the entire school by now, if not the entire world.

Seconds pass… one Mississippi, two Mississippi, three Mississippi, four Mississippi… surely they are still laughing at me? Do I even dare to open my eyes? Better wait a few more seconds, 1, 2, 3, 4… okay how about now?

I feel dread building in my stomach- how can it be so hard to open one’s eyes? Slowly, I peak through my left eye- I only open it a sliver. WHAT??? Something weird is happening… I open both eyes to the fullest extent… NO ONE IS LAUGHING!!!!!

The teacher is droning on… probably ten questions away from the one I answered. The teacher begins to search the class room for another victim: someone who is sitting in the back of the room with their eyes glued to the floor- at least I know it won’t be me for another day or so!

I guess life does go on!
© Copyright 2004 feelingfine (vamplova at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/843158-Hiccups-and-Lost-Voices