*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/846171-Chapter-7
Rated: 18+ · Novel · Drama · #846171
Time moves on. Will Troy and Kristen ever forget? Will they meet again?
Chapter 7



         As time had a way of doing, it had moved on for Kristen. Many times she had ridden her bike to the I-480 footbridge and beyond, to the Turnpike. She didn't know how many miles she had logged riding back and forth, hoping to run into Troy again. But of course, she figured, he had been twenty years old. He probably had a new job, was driving and had probably had a girlfriend all along. She began to feel foolish for even hoping she might see him again and eventually, quit looking for him.

         She didn't attempt to run away again, although she did sneak out of the house at night from time to time. As time went by though, and she got a few years older, she also found more freedom and didn't feel the need to sneak out as often. She was busier than ever with her sports and music; having become involved with a musical production at school that benefited the cancer society. It was put on every year and her piano teacher was the director. She enjoyed it, even though she was rather shy about playing the piano in front of an audience.

         The feeling of being alone never went away either. She still felt totally disconnected most of the time. She really had only 2 good friends; Lisa, whom she'd remained very close to, and Dana, whom she'd met in the 10th grade. Dana had also been adopted and could relate very well to Kristen's feelings of not belonging.

         Kristen had again approached her adoptive parents about any information that they might have been withholding in regards to her adoption. All they knew was that they had been told she had not been born in Mecklenburg County, or any adjacent county, but that she had been born in North Carolina. They promised they could tell her nothing more. Kristen dreamed of finding her biological mother. She wondered what the circumstances were surrounding her adoption and whether or not she might have siblings. What if she were a twin? There was a huge hole in her heart that she couldn't explain. It would be years before she could actually put a finger on where it came from, but for now, she only knew that nothing ever felt right.

         Time went on. Troy's memory faded somewhat, but never quite went away. She would never forget the piercing way his crystal blue eyes had seemed to look right through her. And he'd been the first to really kiss her like a woman. That was something a girl never forgot.

         Before she knew it, it was late summer, 2002 and she was seventeen years old. She would be starting her senior year in high school and her main focus had become turning eighteen and looking into getting her adoption records released. She couldn't wait to get a job, graduate and get out of the house. Although she would be eighteen in about six months, her parents still tried to keep a pretty tight rein on her, even though they seemed to avoid most confrontations. Her temper could be pretty ugly sometimes.

         She and Lisa had spent the summer playing soccer and softball, and running around in Lisa's VW bug. They spent a lot of time cruising what was known as 'The Valley', Cuyahoga County's string of metroparks. It was a great place to meet guys, although they personally had never gotten so lucky. But it wasn't for lack of trying, and they enjoyed it just the same.

         They were busy this day, making plans for the upcoming 'Homecoming' weekend. Every year, for as long as Kristen could remember, North Olmsted had had what was called Homecoming, with a carnival at the city park and a parade on Saturday morning. It was an event that the teenagers in town especially looked forward to. It was a chance to run into school friends whom hadn't seen each other all summer, and find out who was now driving, who was working and who was dating whom.

         Kristen had called Lisa, and after getting through the usual gossip, they had begun to make plans.

         "So how do you want to do this? You gonna come over here and spend the night Friday night?" Lisa asked.

         "Yeah, I guess so. You know it wouldn't be any fun over here. Why don't you come get me Friday morning?"

         "I have to work Friday morning, but I can come when I get off at three..."

         "Oh, okay. That's cool. I'll see you then."

         Friday had come quickly and Kristen was excited. She had about $50 saved up from her regular babysitting job and she intended to blow most or all of it on the games, trying to win as many stuffed animals as she could. Her bedroom was already overflowing with them but the more, the merrier. She wanted one to give to her niece, Amber. She was two years old, and Kristen absolutely adored the child. She would babysit for her every once in a while, but got to see her everyday anyway. Her mom kept Amber while her brother and his wife worked during the week.

         Lisa arrived at the house around 3:30. The best time to go to homecoming was at night, when the carnival was all lit up. They were going to go somewhere and get a bite to eat first. She would spend the night at Lisa's tonight, which meant they didn't have to be in until about 1am. Lisa had a much later curfew than Kristen's 11pm, which was why Kristen always stayed at Lisa's, and not vice versa.

         After eating, they cruised 'The Valley' briefly, but finding no one there worth stopping to see, headed back to the park. The carnival was in full swing, although it wouldn't be dark for a while yet. They were really looking forward to hooking up with their old friends and maybe finding some guys that wanted to flirt.

         As far as guys went, Kristen had been on a few dates here and there, and had gone steady with Mike Kinley for a few months in the 9th grade. She'd made out with a guy at a party one time, but there was one guy who had broken her heart, time and time again. His name was John Haust. She had known him, and had a crush on him since the seventh grade and he knew it. He'd been toying with her since then. She had met up with him one night just the summer before, at one of his friend's homes, whose parents had not been home. She had been a complete idiot that night and had let him take her virginity when he'd told her that if she would let him, they would go together. Of course, it had not gone that way and he had even spread rumors about her amongst his friends. She now hated him more than anyone, and hoped she'd have the chance someday to tell him exactly how she felt.

         As fate would have it, the opportunity presented itself much sooner than she would have imagined. Kristen and Lisa had wandered around for an hour or so at the carnival, munching on corndogs and funnel cakes and trying their hand at some of the games. She'd already won a small stuffed elephant by throwing a softball and knocking down coke bottles. They were now watching people throw baseballs, trying to correctly guess the speed in order to win the baseball helmet of their choice. Kristen was trying to decide whether or not to try it. She knew she had quite an arm for a girl, but she hated to do anything that called attention to herself and there was quite a crowd gathered around. Besides, everyone was making a big deal about a kid who looked to be about 12, and was pitching the ball about 60mph. She was sure she could out-pitch him, but wasn't sure she wanted to stand out.

         Before she could make up her mind though, she heard a voice whisper in her ear.

         "Hey...wanna go get lost in the woods for a little while?"

         Without even turning, she knew exactly who it was. John Haust.

         "Yeah right. And do what? Make some more gossip for you to spread to your pitiful group of cronies? I don't think so," she said sarcastically.

         John tried to look hurt, but then changed the subject.

         "Hey, you going to prom next spring?"

         "How should I know? That's not until next May," she replied.

         "Well if you do, save me a dance," he said with a wink.

         That was it. She'd had enough of him. Turning to face him she asked,

         "Why...in God's name...would I want to dance with you?"

         "Come on, everyone's friends again when it comes to the prom," he said, taking a step back.

         "Let me tell you something, you little son of a bitch," she started. She'd gotten louder and louder and was giving in to her temper. She'd also gotten the attention of everyone around them, including John's girlfriend and the group of cronies that followed him around.

         "You have done nothing but used me for the past four years. You've always known how much I liked you and you yanked me around like a yo-yo," she went on , livid now. She knew everyone had stopped what they were doing and was watching her now but she didn't care. She was in a rage.

         "I'll bet your little Barbie Doll girlfriend doesn't know about it all, does she? Let's see...you've been dating for two years now right? What about last summer John? Does she know about last summer at Jeff Ondist's house? I'll bet not," she raged on.

         "You wanna know about it honey? Just call me. I'll tell you all about your so-called boyfriend," she said to his girlfriend, who was trying to get out of the crowd but not moving very quickly. She was looking at John with a mixture of suspicion and questioning, while he was desperately trying to back away. But the gathering crowd of on-lookers refused to part and let him through. Kristen was enjoying this now and the crowd was even cheering her on.

         "You're nothing but a pond-scum sucking, lower than whale-shit, piece of low-life user! And no, I won't go get lost in the woods with you tonight..or ever!. And no, I won't save a dance for you at prom. Get the hell away from me and don't ever speak to me again," she said, and spat at his feet. She turned her back to him and the crowd actually erupted into applause. John looked like he wanted to disappear and couldn't. So he slunk away like a child that had been chastised, dragging his group of cronies with him. His girlfriend could be heard firing questions at him about who this girl was, and what about last summer?

         Lisa was staring at her with a mix of awe and fear.

         "Feel better?"

         "Not yet," Kristen replied, and picked up a baseball laying at her feet. Putting all her fury behind it, she threw it as hard as she possibly could at the target. The radar gun registered the throw at 74mph. The guy running the game looked at Kristen in surprise and said,

         "Damn! Here...pick out a helmet. You deserve one after that!"

         Kristen walked over, picked out a Cleveland Indian's helmet and plopped it down on her head, the crowd erupting into a new round of applause.

         "Now I feel better," she said to Lisa. Lisa was looking at her with a look that said she was unsure if she wanted to admit that she knew her or not. Kristen just grinned at her as the crowd parted and they walked off together. She didn't pay attention to the faces in the crowd. If she had, she might have noticed the young man staring at her intently from the edge of the crowd. The look on his face was one of utter shock and disbelief. She would've recognized his eyes immediately. They were a piercing, crystal blue.

© Copyright 2004 LisaTW151 (lisatw151 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/846171-Chapter-7