*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/848989-The-Opera-House
Rated: ASR · Non-fiction · Ghost · #848989
A contest entry of a ghost within our town Opera House.
         In the late 1800s the Opera House within my town had become quite a popular place. Famous people came to perform in this quaint but beautiful building and it grew in popularity.

         There is a folktale, a ghost story, which is told to visitors who come to the Opera House. Of a woman named Elvira who had performed for the first time here. This woman was never seen alive again.

         There are many versions of the story which come with this tale, as in many tales. The one most well-known is that Elvira performed for her first time at the Opera House and did not do as well as she hoped. The devastation pver her bad performance proved to be too much for her to take. So, after the performance she gave she climbed up the stairs and up to the bell tower. There she stood before our glorious town; it was not a large town but the beauty lay within its smallness. I could imagine her looking across the cobblestone streets, hearing the clip-clop of carriage horses, and remembering her performance.

         The story is that she threw herself from the top of the bell tour and died on impact. The other version is that she threw herself before the performance had started, probably from stage jitters or something more.

         The soul of this poor woman roams the Opera House now. She is bound to it now and forevermore for causing her own death. She is not an angry or troublesome spirit, and she doesn't reenact her death. She is more of a playful spirit, toying with people's senses and misplacing things on soon-to-be famous actors and performers.

         It's also told that she haunts a particular seat in the back row. This may have been the seat she would have sat in if she had watched the shows at the Opera House, or just one she is fond of. What is known is that there is more activity at this one seat than at any other in the Opera House.

         Or, so the story goes...


The Contest:
 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#848984 by Not Available.
© Copyright 2004 SB Musing (sarama at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/848989-The-Opera-House