*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/849089-The-Missed-Call
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 18+ · Draft · Tragedy · #849089
A short narrative about a tragic event
It was just after New Years. The phone rang and I did not make it to the phone as it was late and I was drowsy. It was probably just my sister anyway so I was not too worried about missing the call.

The next day I was planning a dinner for my family and my mother-in-law. I thought of calling my sister to chat but I was just too busy with the cleaning and cooking to do it. I would call her later.

We had sat down to dinner, my husband, 2 young children, motherinlaw and myself when we heard a vehicle drive in the yard. Then before we could get to the door, two more vehicles pulled into the yard.

What was going on? It was a Sunday night and we were not expecting any other visitors. To have three vehicles pull in was very unusual.

I looked out and saw that one was my dad and another was the chief of police in the town we lived in. He was a long time family friend. My dad got out and shook hands with the chief, then my cousin got out of the passenger side of my dad's vehicle. The third vehicle had my uncle in it. What the devil was going on!?

My first thought was that something must have happened to my mom as she had been ill with diabetes for years and was always having health issues. I rushed out to my dad but my husband was out the door first. They spoke in hushed tones and then my dad came over to me and I noticed he was crying. He said, "she's gone. she's gone." and he gathered me in his arms.

I still thought he was talking about my mom and I just shook my head and said "no". Then his next words caused my heart to skip a beat. He said, "Donna's gone" and I pulled away in shock.

"What do you mean, Donna's gone?" I said. "I am going to call her tonight! Where did she go?"

Dad held me again and cried "She's dead. They say she shot herself!" And he cried. I had never seen my dad cry before.

I was in shock. My little sister, just 24, could not possibly be dead. There must be some terrible mistake. There had to be. But the chief came over and put his hand on my shoulder and said, "I am sorry, but it's true. The police called me to tell me."

That was many years ago....I know I missed her call...maybe the call that could have stopped her from doing what she did. I will never know. But I do know that now I try never to miss a call.
© Copyright 2004 LindiSue (lindisue at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/849089-The-Missed-Call