*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/850090-The-Write-Frame-of-Mind
Rated: E · Article · Writing · #850090
Don't let lack of motivation get in the way of your writing.
I’m in the midst of depression. My entire life seems to be falling apart and I feel like I’m in the middle of a black comedy movie. Writer’s block isn’t my problem. I have plenty to write about; the words constantly swimming around in my head. Motivation seems to be the real issue. My plan of attack formulated out of need to address two separate yet very important difficulties in my life now. One, my ensuing depression, and two, my turbulent relationship with my teenage daughter.

My 14 year old is an excellent writer. She is in denial about her ability and she claims she doesn’t really like to write. If this is true, it’s a perfect shame because I honestly believe I will be reading her published books or stories one day. Even though she is my daughter, I can recognize talent when I see it.

I thought I'd do my version of a writing.com campfire. Since she isn't an active member, I approached it in the following way:

“I need your help.” Being depressed, I knew I’d need another person to help me out. “I want you do play this writing game with me.” I told her. “I may need you to play this game with me often. If you do it with a good attitude, you can earn extra internet time.” She immediately agreed. Bribery works like a charm.

Game Tools:
Two notebooks
Two ink pens of different colors

Game Rules:
1. Each author has a pad and a pen. The color ink pen an author starts out with will remain his/hers throughout the game.

2. To begin, each author writes a minimum of three sentences—not to exceed five sentences.

3. After a time limit of five minutes, authors exchange pads.

4. Each author will read what the other author has written and add three to five sentences of his/her own. Keeping in mind that a storyline has been established.

5. Continue repeating steps two through four until a story/chapter is finished.

6. No editing during the game.

My daughter and I had a blast playing this game. Not only was I motivated to write, but I was able to enjoy my daughter’s company and show her how fun writing can be.

The following is an example of what we did.

My daughter’s words are in purple and mine are in green. (Those were our ink color choices.)

She woke with a start. She sat up and listened intently. The grandfather clock resounded throughout the house. Three chimes. She flopped back down onto the firm mattress. She knew she’d never be able to go back to sleep. Her brain filled with images from earlier events of the evening.


Unlike the interactive campfires here, we had two stories going on at once, to keep the creative juices flowing. Also, I liked the fact that we used different color ink pens to distinguish between our contributions.


The Write Family, a variation to this game, can also be played. Created by Voxxylady . She places a journal in a stationary location, and her entire family is encouraged to add their pieces. Each member is assigned an ink color so others will know who added what.

Here is a version of this game offered by Beth Barnett :

The writing game you mentioned here is great at parties. Some friends of mine came over one time, and we passed paper around. Everyone had a time limit of, I believe, two minutes. The first person, of course, started the story on their piece of paper, then it went around the circle, everyone taking turns writing on every story for two minutes. We had about seven people playing. The stories were hilarious, and I enjoyed bring my creativity to the table, and others enjoyed the game also. It wasn't my idea to play, though. A good friend of mine, who I don't think is on this site, suggested it.

It's great that you could communicate with your daughter with this writing game. It's also a good way to get the juices flowing in your own writing and pour out your feelings to the person you're playing it with.

Thanks for sharing the rules of the game. It brings back happy memories for me.

Write On!

God be with your spirit.
Beth
© Copyright 2004 NanoWriMo2018 Into the Earth (twinsis at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/850090-The-Write-Frame-of-Mind