*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/853316-The-Inner-Circle---Chapter-2
Rated: 18+ · Chapter · Thriller/Suspense · #853316
Deacon finds he may be worth more in this world than he thought.
Note: Please veiw The Inner Circle - Chapter 1 if you haven't already for the beginning of this story and also for the proper credit that goes out as many of this story's elements comes from copyrighted material.

Chapter 2
Ambassador

Deacon was settled in and the probation weeks flew by quickly. He forgot his job, his friends, everything, he was a part of the Inner Circle now. But he felt something was missing. He expected to reach grace quickly, to be filled with the Holy Ghost. He and Herald had a meeting set up today after the sermon. The time was close, so Deacon was preparing to go. A short time of personal meditation and he was off to the chapel. He greeted all of the other white robed members on the way.

The chapel was packed with a sea of white, the buzz of conversation thick in the air. A cheer went up as Herald entered the raised area from a side door. He stepped behind the white altar placed in the center of the raised area. He raised his hands in a silencing gesture; the crowd hushed in anticipation, many of the people in the crowd were smiling bright. Once there was silence, Herald began, “Brothers and sisters of the Inner Circle, how we are growing. Just in the past month we’ve gained seven new members, lost souls to be found and saved in God’s light, just like many of you were.

They have joined to see the one, true Christian God. The Messiah is incarnate in this world; he didn’t just die on the cross and rise up into the heavens. He lives on in this world; the Spirit passed on in selected vessels. I am that vessel right now. Obey my voice and I will be your God. Disobey, and you do not belong here or in Heaven. You belong in Hell. You must not isolate yourself, you must believe. Show your soul and you will give birth to freedom. You’ve left the cold and now you share our vision. Follow me and walk with me, we’ll hold your heart if it bleeds.

Let me be your hand of guidance, you must only sacrifice a bit of solitude and that independence you thought you had in the outside world. Because I know God is in me. When someone sins, God hurts and it hurts in me. If God weeps for a soul, He weeps through me. I am light to cast away the shadows. I am the spirit, the Holy Ghost, and I am even Jesus. I am as if God were walking Earth. I am God’s ambassador. I will deliver the Holy Ghost unto you, so that you may see nearly as clear as I do. God bless you all and welcome to the Inner Circle.” More cheers followed Herald out.

The words sounded good, Deacon thought, but he wasn’t convinced. He hasn’t seen any evidence that the Holy Ghost has been instilled into him. He thought he’d mention his grievance to Herald in their meeting.


Deacon entered Herald’s office; Judd was by the side of the desk like a faithful dog.

“Ah, Deacon, here you are,” Herald got up and shook Deacon’s hand in his common fashion.

“Yes, Herald, I wanted to talk to you about something before you got into your business.”

“By all means, speak, you must be enlightened to have something to talk about. It seems so long ago that you were empty, helpless, wounded, and weak, and now God’s grace…”

“Where’s the Holy Ghost you promised?” His shout stopped Herald mid-sentence. Judd stepped forward, ready to bash in Deacon’s head. Herald put his hand out behind him, motioning for Judd to stop.

“Halleluia,” Herald said, bringing an inquiring look to both Deacon and Judd, “he’s desperate to receive the Holy Ghost. That is great. Glory to God. Do not worry, my son, I will scatter all dark thoughts wandering around in your mind. I will shatter all doubt surfacing. In due time you will be rescued and saved by my vision. Are you satisfied, Deacon?” Deacon nodded, feeling foolish for his outburst. “Wonderful. Now, for my business. From the moment I met you I felt it. You radiate the spirit; you just need the Holy Ghost to help guide it. I’ve never felt anything like it. That is why I’m taking you in to be alongside Mark as my successor.”

“Sir,” Judd broke in, overtaken by surprise, “surely you can’t be serious. In the Circle’s history there have never been two heirs.”

“The amount of heirs is irrelevant, only the one who is chosen.”

“Are you saying that I may not become head of the Circle?”

“Yes, that is exactly what I’m saying, Mike.”

“Sir, I must protest…”

“No, Mike, you mustn’t.” The unfamiliar tone in Herald’s voice silenced Judd. “Now then, Deacon, that is all, you may return to your room.”

“Thank you, Herald, I appreciate this greatly.” Deacon smiled and walked out of the office.


Deacon was sitting in his room, smoking a cigarette and listening to the rain on the window, it’s been dreary weather of late. The room was about the size of an alright hotel room. There was a TV with no cable, no telephone, and a radio. A one-person bed took up most of the room; there was a comfy chair with a small table next to it and a larger table with four chairs around it.

There was a knock, he put out his cigarette and answered the door. Judd was standing there, his common, ominous visage clear on his face.

“Hey, Judd, what’s up?” Deacon asked kindly, though he did have an idea of the man’s purpose.

“Don’t give me that, you know damn well why I’m here. Why are you moving in on what is mine?”

“I’m not moving in on anything, Herald chose me, I didn’t force him into it.”

“Ever since the Circle began there was only one successor, I guess you wouldn’t know that. Herald is tampering with tradition, which is something you just don’t do in this type of place. Now, I demand that you tell him you want to resign from your position as possible heir.”

“I’m sorry, Judd, I can’t do that. The honor is just too much to pass up. If I am chosen, God will bestow upon me the spirit of His son, Jesus.”

“Listen here, you filthy drunk,” Judd spoke through clenched teeth, this behavior was unlike one of the Circle, “I am sacrificing a Hell of a lot more than you are and you don’t deserve to be within a foot of Fr. Perry.”

“You’re not talking very much like a member of the Inner Circle or one of God’s children, Judd. And if you’re sacrificing so much, don’t you think you should have the shoe in already? Just settle down and collect your wits, I know you’re upset, but just remember, you’re part of the Circle.” Judd looked at Deacon coldly, and walked away without a word. Deacon shook his head with a grin and closed the door. The thought of being God’s ambassador sat heavy in his mind. He never thought he’d amount to anything that grand.

But, for now, he’d have to worship God enough. And the way he’d have to do that would be to worship Herald at every sermon and mass.


 The Inner Circle - Chapter 3  (18+)
Judd's wife may not be all for the Circle's ideals.
#854132 by Abominae
© Copyright 2004 Abominae (ledzep at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/853316-The-Inner-Circle---Chapter-2