*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/854447-The-Inner-Circle---Chapter-4
Rated: 18+ · Chapter · Thriller/Suspense · #854447
Deacon meets Regina and suspects that something's off in the Circle.
Note: Please see The Inner Circle - Chapter 1 for proper credit where it's due.

Chapter 4
Harmless Wishes

Deacon was strolling through the large courtyard. The afternoon sun and brisk breeze made for perfect weather. Stone benches and hedgerows lined the walkways and trees decorated the lawn off the path. He saw a woman and whom he assumed her daughter coming toward him from the opposite way. When they were closer, he greeted them with a word and a slight nod and continued to walk. She stopped and called after him, “Excuse me,” he stopped and turned.

“Yes?”

“Are you new here? I’ve never seen you before.”

“Oh, yes, I joined a few weeks ago, pleased to meet you,” he shook her hand, “I’m Deacon Trellman.”

“Oh, I’ve heard about you, you’re the one who’s become a thorn in my husband’s time.” She didn’t sound enraged, it was more of a laugh.

“Oh, you must be Mrs. Judd.”

“Please, call me Regina. And this is my daughter, Clara.”

“Hey there, cutie,” he playfully tapped her on he nose.

“Hello, Mr. Trellman.”

“So,” Regina said, “you must enjoy being here, right?”

“Well, yeah, I mean, I could become leader, God’s vessel. I couldn’t ask for much more than that. I apologize by the way, I hope I didn’t cause too much trouble. I didn’t ask to be that, Herald chose me.”

“It’s alright, no harm done.” By the mark on her cheek, Deacon wasn’t so sure.

“So,” he wanted to change the subject, “what do you think of the Circle? I know there are some who are devout and some who believe but still want something else.”

“Well, I’ve been having a few second thoughts lately.”

“Really? Well, sit, maybe I can help you.” He motioned to one of the benches. He sat down and she sat beside him and sent Clara off to play.

“Now, what’s wrong?”

“I just don’t feel like this all is right, you know? When we first joined I thought this was all perfect and great until Clara was born, then I realized that there was nothing for her. And Mike, he’s changed so much, he’s heartless. It drives me to tears and it seems like it’s only me who thinks this. It was so convincing, but he won’t even let us leave the mansion grounds. She is his own flesh and blood, she’s three years old and she doesn’t need this yet.”

“I see,” Deacon tapped his chin, “I didn’t realize that it was like that here.”

“It gets worse, Herald and Mike have plans for Clara, but I don’t know what they are, neither of them will tell me. I’m afraid for her, but I can’t do anything.”

“I haven’t heard anything involving the girl. If you’d like, I’ll ask Herald about it. In the meantime good luck with everything, hope you find something out. Just remember, God is with you.”

“Thanks, Deacon, I’d appreciate that.” She hugged him, something he didn’t expect. He awkwardly hugged her back, figuring that she felt he was the only person she could trust. During this embrace two cold eyes peered down at them from a window. Judd didn’t like this at all.


Deacon approached Herald later that day.

“Excuse me, Herald, may I speak with you for a moment?”

“Yes, what is it, Deacon?” He spoke in his usual, kind tone.

“I spoke with Regina Judd earlier today and she has some problems,”

“Ah yes, I have spoken to her about that.”

“Yes, but she still seems to be in the dark about some plans for her daughter and I was just curious about what these plans were. She’s afraid something is wrong.”

“You will find out in due time, my son. I’m afraid that only Mike and I may know about that right now. It is important for the Circle not to know about it, the event would lose its spiritual value if everyone knew. Now, let’s not speak anymore of the matter.” Herald walked away from him before Deacon had the chance to say anything. There was something suspicious here and Deacon wanted to know more of it.


Regina came calling on Deacon that night.

“Did you speak with Herald?”

“Yeah, yeah I did.”

“Did you find anything out?”

“Nothing, Herald told me it’s between he and your husband only. They’re keeping me completely in the dark about it. To tell you the truth, I don’t like it.”

“Did he tell you why he wouldn’t say anything?”

“He said it would ruin the spirituality of the event if it were revealed.”

“My God, do you think Clara is in danger?”

“I don’t know, if you think you should take off, then just go. But know that you can’t come back if you leave the Circle, your husband will go completely insane.”

“I need time to think about it. Did Herald at least tell you the date?” Deacon shook his head. “I’ll think about leaving, but I’m not sure. Thank you for everything Deacon.”

“No problem, Regina. Actually, between you and me, I’m suspicious of all this discreetness, I don’t know what’s going on, my faith in the Circle is a bit shaken.” She nodded and bid him goodnight.

As she walked into her room, Judd was there waiting for her, anger in his eyes.

“Why are you seeing him?”

“Aren’t we all supposed to get acquainted with the members of the Circle?”

“Well, yes, but you don’t have to hug them.”

“Were you spying on me?”

“It seems that I have to.”

“Oh my God, Mike, I was just talking to Deacon and…” Judd delivered a hard slap and knocked her down, through gritted teeth he said, “Do not use the Lord’s name in vain. Now, never let me catch you with him again.”


 The Inner Circle - Chapter 5  (18+)
Deacon and Regina make decisions.
#855000 by Abominae
© Copyright 2004 Abominae (ledzep at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/854447-The-Inner-Circle---Chapter-4