*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/858823-Best-Friends
by Terri
Rated: E · Short Story · Children's · #858823
A little girl learns about true friendship thru her Pappy and a trip to the Pumpkin Patch.
"Best Friends" by Terri M.

My grandpap is my best friend.

Every autumn he takes me to my favorite place. He simply strolls through the front door and looks at me with that same delicious smile. Then he stares into my expecting eyes and whispers, "Today is the day!"

Well, today WAS the day! His dark sparkling eyes smiled their secret delight. His face was plump and brown and round.

I sprang up from the floor where I was absorbed in a puzzle and scurried to the closet. My tiny fingers fumbled over the brass doorknob.

As I pulled on my blue, suede vest and stretchy knit gloves, I thought of the pumpkin I would carry home from the pumpkin patch.

Would I choose a tall, skinny one...
A short, fat one...
Or, a perfect, round one?

Wondering never really did any good because when I looked over the field of bright orange, I always spotted - THE ONE.

There was always just one. It called to me. I could almost hear my name carried across the crisp twilight, "Lilly, Lilly, I'm the one."

The drive to the pumpkin patch always seemed unbearably long. Pappy and I sang our favorite songs on the way. The sun was beginning to slip behind the sloping hills. It made the trees look as if the sun had set them ablaze. I imagined they were all one big flaming campfire. I looked at Grandpap and I felt all warm and happy inside. Pappy reached over and held my hand. We both smiled. I felt like he knew what I was thinking. I guess best friends are just like that.

It seemed like we drove up one hill and down the other side at least a hundred times! I closed my eyes and counted to ten trying to imagine the "Great Pumpkin Patch" sign all black and white. I opened them to see if we were there yet.

Just then, the sign popped into view! It read, "The Great Pumpkin Patch: A Pumpkin for Everyone!" It was so huge! I could see it a long time before we actually reached the wide stoney driveway.

I sucked in a big breath of air and held it for a long moment. When I finally let it go, I giggled with excitement and wiggled in my seat. Pappy turned the car into the driveway as it crept over the stoney cobbles until we bumped to a complete stop.

I spilled out of the door as Pappy turned off the car. Stumbling over the hard uneven ground, I dashed to seize Pappy's woolen fingers.

I was like a Saint Bernard straining and tugging on his strong gloved hand. It made him laugh in a "chucklie" sort of way and it made me smile, too. Pappy was always happy when I was happy. I guess best friends are just like that.

I tried to run while dragging Pappy behind me. He laughed so hard I could see great plumes of frosty air rise above his head like chimney smoke. He tried to slow me down, but I let go of his hand and ran to the great mass of pumpkins.

The sky was nearly black, now. There were strands of lights strung high above on tall posts that twinkled and bobbed in the chilly air. The damp pumpkins glistened from the sparkling light of the clear glass bulbs and I stood very still. I was a statue.

I looked out over the sea of pumpkins. There they were...

Tall, skinny ones...
Short, fat ones...
And perfect round ones.

There were even odd shaped ones and tiny baby ones with faces already painted on them.

Without a word, Pappy came and stood beside me. He knew I wouldn't speak. I just stared out over the pumpkins. He stared, too. It was cold. It was quiet. I could hear my breath as it left my mouth rising into small clouds that disappeared quickly. My eyes were searching. Searching for - THE ONE.

Pappy squeezed my gloved fingers. He knew it could take a while until i found it. He just waited.

Then, I saw it! All the energy of waiting and searching gathered into a ball of joy in my stomach. I darted into the pumpkin pile to get to it. I slipped once and caught my balance on a bale of hay. Then, I finally reached it...MY pumpkin - THE ONE.

I wrapped my arms around its fat, orange shell and grunted as I hoisted it up for Pappy to see. It was heavy and weighed more than a sack of potatoes! Pappy came quickly to steady me. He stood back and inspected my prize. He studied it. Then he examined it. After a long moment he rubbed his chin and said, "Hmmm. So, this is the one?"

I nodded my head, grinning a grin as wide as my face. Pappy's eyes laughed in the dancing glow of the lights. He smiled that same delicious smile and teased me with a little poke in my side.

Pappy didn't offer to carry my pumpkin to the farmer to pay. He knew I had to do it. It was mine. I had waited all year for it. He always seemed to know just what I felt. I guess best friends are just like that.
© Copyright 2004 Terri (terrim at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/858823-Best-Friends